Are you a collector of things?

145B4IDIE

I collect bobbleheads. Lots of hockey. Some baseball and some football. I used to have an extensive collection of comics (mostly horror). Original printings stretching through the 60s and 70s. I had them in plastic wrap to prevent the paper from turning brown. When I moved from home my disgusting stepmother threw them in the dumpster. I was able to recover maybe 30% of them. 

I also saved every ticket stub from every game I went to. Mostly Leaf games because my fathers business had two pairs of seasons tix and we went all the time. Lots of old Bills and Blue Jay stubs. I used to write the final score on them. Someone broke into my apartment and stole the little wooden chest I kept them in.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I guess I am a collector of deep thoughts.

:lol:

EDIT: Correction~I guess I am a collector of "Deep Thoughts" along with various DIYer stuff and vintage camera equipment that still seamlessly works with today's tech.?

So deep you never seem to able to recover them when you need em?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My mom sells Fenton Glass on EBay.  Has half the house filled up with the crap.  My old man is about to move into the garage., I don’t get the appeal.  It all looks like grandma’s candy dish to me.

I cringe at the thought of having to deal with the stuff that parents collect when that day eventually comes.  There's nothing wrong with the stuff my mom has, but I'll never have any use for it.

14 hours ago, Dante said:

I collect bobbleheads. Lots of hockey. Some baseball and some football. I used to have an extensive collection of comics (mostly horror). Original printings stretching through the 60s and 70s. I had them in plastic wrap to prevent the paper from turning brown. When I moved from home my disgusting stepmother threw them in the dumpster. I was able to recover maybe 30% of them. 

I also saved every ticket stub from every game I went to. Mostly Leaf games because my fathers business had two pairs of seasons tix and we went all the time. Lots of old Bills and Blue Jay stubs. I used to write the final score on them. Someone broke into my apartment and stole the little wooden chest I kept them in.

Huge collector of bobbleheads too

Mostly Bluejays have all the giveaway ones since they really started doing them a while back. Have some hockey, even some TV ones. Started a big collection of the Funko POP Star Wars and Marvel ones too.

I also collect some of the sports figures that the guy from Spawn used to do (now some other company does them). Have some baseball and hockey, mostly goalies, have the Metallica set too.

Most are stored in totes in the basement until I can get the basement finished and put them on shelving.

I used to collect models of the Orange County Choppers and West Coast Choppers bikes. I have a couple boxes of hockey, football, and baseball cards, a long with football and baseball mini helmets from gum ball machines. I do believe I also have a tote filled with Mad Magazines from like 92 to almost 2000 that I don't know if they are worth anything or should be tossed.

You could also say I'm a collector of automotive and wood working/building tools.....

Edited by apuszczalowski

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I cringe at the thought of having to deal with the stuff that parents collect when that day eventually comes.  There's nothing wrong with the stuff my mom has, but I'll never have any use for it.

That's why they came up with "Swedish Death Cleaning."  You are supposed to start when you are 50.

Anyway, I say screw that noise.  My family can have the privilege of going through and dealing w/all my COOL shist!  Eff those Swedes, this is America!  My kid will thank me when He needs a table saw, radial arm saw, a torque wrench, and a big azz pair of bolt cutters. Well, if he's not an completely do nothing slob by then.

Anyway, staying on the ethnic theme... Never got into the typical "dust collectors"... And if you are Italian, stuff like the "Guido Dust Collectors."  It's NOT like I am leaving my brood w/that kinda crap! You know... Useless crap that can't stem the tide during a zombie apocalypse. The zombies will hit Scandinavia first, they don't have chainsaws there, despite what Husqvarna says!

:D

20 hours ago, Sweats said:

I collect comics......I have my whole life.

Ive got somewhere around 10,000 of them and they are priceless.

My insurance company put a separate insurance on them just in case.....

If I ever decided to cash them in my family will be set for life.

Do you have an estate plan that accounts for it's liquidation?  It's something I have in place for my baseball cards.  The idea being that your estate will likely lack the expertise you have, and will struggle to deal with your collection when you're gone. 

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

My collection got damaged during a few moves (one where I needed to travel and my wife needed to move entire household herself) with new books added but less and less as rockpile states publishers started making them for speculators.  Quit buying Marvel comics in 90s when Shooter shot his mouth often once too often talking about how buyers were stupid and they could revive characters as many times as they want and buyers would keep buying (non-coincidentally sales dropped on a lot of books).  Quit others except rare buys when I was laid off in 2010 without a job lead in sight.  Only have bought trade paperbacks recently and mostly from when Crown Books was in business.

I have collection from my mother - 6 large boxes of wooden animals of many different sizes.  They were given to me when she went to assisted living home since majority I bought for her.  A couple are unpacked and around my house but far too many to display and cannot find a reliable charity to donate to who will not just sell them to a bulk purchaser on 1-5 cents on a dollar.

Have you considered researching specialty consignment?

On 4/3/2018 at 11:32 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep! Cant agree more!

People keep on pushing well into the realm of deviance with destruction of social norms and mores. 

Children (and adults espousing) being taught, that nothing should be normal, to breakdown everything for the good of their own selfishness, feelings, emotions, & personal gain. They are always the last to know, figure it all out.

People who believe in nothing will believe in anything that is pushed. By professors. By media and so on.

I won't blow smoke up anyone's ass, I am not a particularly religious person. But as I get older I see what the result of the lack of its basic moral guidelines. A lot to be said for basic Christian morality. Since the notion of it has been discredited by academia and the left it seems the only spiritual value now is what you feel. Not accountability.  LIving up to commitments. Anything goes.

Edited by Dante

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Have you considered researching specialty consignment?

Looked at a couple of places which "help you sell' but appears to be places where you pay a fee to list it, percentage when sold and if not sold they keep reducing price until some may be basically dumped with no guarantee you will make enough to even pay for listing.

Seen some consignment furniture and clothing shops but nothing for items like wooden animals.

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Looked at a couple of places which "help you sell' but appears to be places where you pay a fee to list it, percentage when sold and if not sold they keep reducing price until some may be basically dumped with no guarantee you will make enough to even pay for listing.

Seen some consignment furniture and clothing shops but nothing for items like wooden animals.

I can put you in touch with someone if you're interested.  Feel free to PM me.

16 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Watches. 

That can be pricey

a partner at the eratwhile big firm liked watches and would bring me into his confidence on the latest acquisitions 

On 4/5/2018 at 5:03 AM, row_33 said:

That can be pricey

a partner at the eratwhile big firm liked watches and would bring me into his confidence on the latest acquisitions 

I have one pretty high end watch; it Is my favorite and I love it, but I love the hobby because you can find really cool watches for anywhere from $150 all the way up to the cost of a house. I also enjoy learning about the history of brands, and the movements, etc.

What I find many people doing, however, is buying POS watches that look cool  but are junk companies that have no history, and just started advertising on Facebook (MVMT is the one I’m referring to) whereas if they did a little research they could find a quality piece for the same price. 

One of my favorites in my collection cost $180; so you can really get into the hobby without breaking the bank.  

On 4/3/2018 at 4:55 PM, Sweats said:

I collect comics......I have my whole life.

Ive got somewhere around 10,000 of them and they are priceless.

My insurance company put a separate insurance on them just in case.....

If I ever decided to cash them in my family will be set for life.

I assume everything is stored using archival sleeves, backing boards, etc. Did someone appraise your collection for the insurance company? I am just curious as to how and who put a dollar value on them.

What type of comics do you collect, or is there a wide scope? I have everything from super hero to humor, to suspends and horror. I never got hooked on westerns, but I like an occasional Lone Ranger or Two Gun Kid. I liked DC's war comics, and Marvel's Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. I even loved Nancy and Sluggo, Sad Sack, Little Hot Stuff, and more.

What is hard for me to accept about "grading" comics, is the independent companies that put a number grade on your collectible of good, very good, mint, etc for a healthy fee. IF you look on e-Bay, as I am sure you have, the CGC graded books are sealed in a plastic frame, and cannot be opened without invalidating the grade/intrinsic value. They sell for five to twenty times more than the same  book accurately graded by the seller.

I LOVE the smell of newsprint comics! Unless I was solely an investor, I would not want my books sealed. I do store them with acid free backing boards and sleeves.

1 hour ago, rockpile said:

I assume everything is stored using archival sleeves, backing boards, etc. Did someone appraise your collection for the insurance company? I am just curious as to how and who put a dollar value on them.

What type of comics do you collect, or is there a wide scope? I have everything from super hero to humor, to suspends and horror. I never got hooked on westerns, but I like an occasional Lone Ranger or Two Gun Kid. I liked DC's war comics, and Marvel's Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. I even loved Nancy and Sluggo, Sad Sack, Little Hot Stuff, and more.

What is hard for me to accept about "grading" comics, is the independent companies that put a number grade on your collectible of good, very good, mint, etc for a healthy fee. IF you look on e-Bay, as I am sure you have, the CGC graded books are sealed in a plastic frame, and cannot be opened without invalidating the grade/intrinsic value. They sell for five to twenty times more than the same  book accurately graded by the seller.

I LOVE the smell of newsprint comics! Unless I was solely an investor, I would not want my books sealed. I do store them with acid free backing boards and sleeves.

I've always collected Marvel super hero comics. I have very little DC in my collection..........just not a big DC fan.

And i went through a phase where i collected sets, then started into only collecting #1 issues and then onto older, rarer comics. I've built up a huge sum of old, scarce and rare comics along the way.

True story..........years ago, my apt. at the time flooded out and the only thing that was untouched was my comics (i keep them in the rectangular comic boxes, all sleeved in plastic bags with the backer boards). I couldn't believe they were unharmed........i didn't have insurance on them at that time and Christ, was i relieved.

My insurance company got them appraised........ the estimated sum, put the value at priceless. 

I then took the comics to my own appraiser for an estimated value and the 2 separate estimates were within a few dollars of each other ( i wanted to make sure that the insurance company wasn't short-changing me on the value).

I was relieved that what both parties were saying put the estimated value at close to accurate.

It's very time consuming to get a collection appraised or valued and you not only need a lot of patience, you do need some cash cause it ain't cheap, but nowadays, you need the grading system more than ever........M, VF, F, etc.

It's funny how a hobby and pastime when i was a kid turned out to be worth a fortune as years went by.

I don't really collect too many comics these days (i just don't have the time) but i am always on the lookout for anything that catches my eye.