Lamar Jackson: C'mon, enough is enough

2 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

So he didn't want to run at the Combine, fine. Now he doesn't want to run at the Pro day.
So he doesn't want an agent, now teams are barking they can't get a meeting.

I get it, a lot of crap being dropped in his direction to have him fall in the draft. On some level, you have a guy with a 56-57% completion rate, who still has problems with his footwork, who showed badly at the Combine and frankly from what I've seen, at the Pro Day, for whom analysts are continuing to blame his WR (I mean, does the phrase "catchable ball" mean anything anymore?). Shouldn't someone be telling him that he is merely feeding the smokescreens by doing things like not running? Hell Lamar we get it. You aren't going to be a WR. Now get out there and run the damned 40 - and yeah, we all know it's an irrelevant number.

It just strikes me as a whole lot of self-indulgence. There's a reason for expectations and not all of it is in the outcome of the expectations. Sometimes its just to see if you will go through the hoops without questioning. 

Gotta say .. WTF do you think you are?

#process

#notaBill

Anyone whining about the stupid 40 yard dash is just being ridiculous.  NO ONE needs to see him run a 40 and no one cares.  Everyone knows he is fast...to what exact decimal is completely irrelevant as a QB.  He knows it, every GM in the NFL knows it.  

He came out on his pro day to perform as a QB not a runner.  All this worthless hoopla about not running a 40 is ridiculous.  It will have NO BEARING what so ever on his draft position as teams are 100% fully aware and clear on what he can do with his legs.  They wanted to see how he throws the ball, thats what will make a difference on where he is drafted and thats what the kid focused on.  

People want to criticize or analyze his throwing and stuff, thats all fair game as thats what he put on display, so people will have their own opinions.  But this lingering nonsense about not running the 40 is absurd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

You don't fit in here. We are loaded with guys who have a huge impact on the real draft process! LOL especially with the Bills. SMH

Yeah, I Know but I don't claim to have insider information or to be a player personnel expert. But that's ok I enjoy reading the post on this board and I respect everyone's opinion.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree.

Like I said in another post, exactly what you did, that he would need to develop a pocket game, like Wilson, Cunningham, Newton, McNabb, etc if he was going to be a long term solution.

Otherwise he might be great for 3-5 years then fall off the map.

The Falcons !@#$ed up Vick big time by not having him sit for 2 years. The Falcons under the back end years of Reeves and under Jim Mora were not going to mold Vick into the player they needed him to be. To the Falcons credit they did sit him for most of his rookie season but they rushed him into action and while he played well he was going to never develop into the QB that was going to win consistently. 

If the Bills or any team is going to draft Jackson I think it has to be with the intention to sit him for 2 seasons and build him up. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Falcons !@#$ed up Vick big time by not having him sit for 2 years. The Falcons under the back end years of Reeves and under Jim Mora were not going to mold Vick into the player they needed him to be. To the Falcons credit they did sit him for most of his rookie season but they rushed him into action and while he played well he was going to never develop into the QB that was going to win consistently. 

If the Bills or any team is going to draft Jackson I think it has to be with the intention to sit him for 2 seasons and build him up. 

Definitely.

It was his attitude too.

He didn't want to learn, he "knew" he was the best and didn't need coaching (like Geno Smith's attitude)

I remember when he came outta prison, the Berman interview, he said:

Chris: "what is one thing that you truly learned from all this?"

Vick: "that the rules apply to me too. I learned that I have to read playbooks, study film, and keep getting better, because I don't know everything and can always improve. In Atlanta, I didn't learn the playbook fully, I got by on my athletic ability. I let my teammates down."

I think Jackson has a better attitude, and wants to get better.

That's a big difference.

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone whining about the stupid 40 yard dash is just being ridiculous.  NO ONE needs to see him run a 40 and no one cares.  Everyone knows he is fast...to what exact decimal is completely irrelevant as a QB.  He knows it, every GM in the NFL knows it.  

He came out on his pro day to perform as a QB not a runner.  All this worthless hoopla about not running a 40 is ridiculous.  It will have NO BEARING what so ever on his draft position as teams are 100% fully aware and clear on what he can do with his legs.  They wanted to see how he throws the ball, thats what will make a difference on where he is drafted and thats what the kid focused on.  

People want to criticize or analyze his throwing and stuff, thats all fair game as thats what he put on display, so people will have their own opinions.  But this lingering nonsense about not running the 40 is absurd.

Hey!!! Look at that, we agree!!;)

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Definitely.

It was his attitude too.

He didn't want to learn, he "knew" he was the best and didn't need coaching (like Geno Smith's attitude)

Vick: "that the rules apply to me too. I learned that I have to read playbooks, study film, and keep getting better, because I don't know everything and can always improve. In Atlanta, I didn't learn the playbook fully, I got by on my athletic ability. I let my teammates down."

That's a big difference.

I think Jackson is very coachable and a lot of what he is doing honestly seems to come from a place of really wanting to be a QB. That's what I like about him, he might not be the brightest kid but he has a good attitude and seems to want to become a complete player. That's why I think that if the Bills were to take him at 12 with the intention of sitting him for 2 seasons it could turn out to be a fantastic long-term move. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Great. You don't think the take is good, I can handle that; you don't think it is important that he is self-indulgent, I'll respond to that. 

The concept that you don't like the proliferation of threads on the website? Laughable. You don't like the take, respond or move on. You aren't required to say anything. And it strikes me that the ultimate outcome of your fears about proliferation suggests there should be 6 threads. 

Cheers.

You're just a little ray of sunshine aren't you. It's like you've invited yourself to someone else's dinner party and have then proceeded to get belligerently drunk and started insulting strangers. This is a LAMP thread. Your opinion is neither unique to this board, nor is the topic. Feel free to move on from the board yourself. 

I mentioned this the other day. Him choosing not to run the 40 makes him somehow believe that he can carry the combine with his throwing ability and thus far not so good. I watched the highlights of his pro day and it really wasn't impressive at all. He kept putting the ball in bad spots for the receivers making them dive or fall down after the catch. If his mother is being overbearing and he doesn't get an agent that could be a fatal flaw in his future. Terrelle Pryor 2.0

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Speaking of self indulgence..

You have a problem with fans having a take?  Uhm - why are you on a team fan page??

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Definitely.

It was his attitude too.

That's a big difference.

Yeah - Ron Mexico - I mean Michael Vick - was a total dirt bag top to bottom.  I wouldn't put that on anyone without cause.  

Lamar clearly doesn't have the best accuracy, AND I'm worried about the way he plays (which is exciting as hell) is going to get him broken at the next level.  I'm less concerned by his attitude, but I wouldn't ignore it either.  12 seems way too high for him.

I'm frankly more put off by Darnold not THROWING at the combine.  That really looked like fear he wouldn't match up to the competition.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Having a take is self indulgence? Then get off the board. My lifetime's income ain't based on what I write here.

I feel the same as gobills1212. Are you going to make me get off the board?!?!? HUH!?!?

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

You have a problem with fans having a take?  Uhm - why are you on a team fan page??

Yeah - Ron Mexico - I mean Michael Vick - was a total dirt bag top to bottom.  I wouldn't put that on anyone without cause.  

Lamar clearly doesn't have the best accuracy, AND I'm worried about the way he plays (which is exciting as hell) is going to get him broken at the next level.  I'm less concerned by his attitude, but I wouldn't ignore it either.  12 seems way too high for him.

I'm frankly more put off by Darnold not THROWING at the combine.  That really looked like fear he wouldn't match up to the competition.

Oh Bob...  read the entire thread and then if you'd like we can have this conversation. I feel like maybe if you had you wouldn't be asking questions like that...

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Your post is absolutely on-point IMO.  The unknown factor IMO is to what extent teams favor prospects who jump through the hoops without going their own way.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is what happens when the draft season lasts way too long. The NFL pundits find someone to pick apart so it seems like they have tough standards, and Jackson is the guy they chose to pick apart.

While Jackson may be a bit rough around the edges, when I watch him compete he has that "eye of the tiger". The dude looks like he's on a mission and no one is going to stop him. Even in his interviews you can see the competitor in him.

The Bills should pick him and sit him for the season to develop him properly. He looks like he has all the skills, leadership and competitive drive to become a successful franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think he's going to be better than Tyrod.

I just don't like that styles of QB.

I think it's too inconsistant to win on a regular basis.

When it's clicking, they are really really hard to beat...

When they have an off day, they are awful and you have no shot to win.

The other problem is having a backup and can fill in if they are hurt.

This was seen with Vick, McNabb, even Cunningham.

Most backups are solid, accurate, weak armed pocket QB types, and their playstyle is completely opposite to the athletic scrambling QB starter.

When the starter has an injury, the backup comes in, and the entire gameplan changes. Not small amounts, but entire diff playbook.. That's a pain in the arse.

I think Jackson will be a solid QB overall, above average, but not what I'm interested in settling for.

All very valid points. Nice to see an intelligent well thought response instead of reiterating the same dribble about perceived weaknesses w/ minimal amounts of actual research.

• Thank you (+1) 1