Why would Jackson take the Wonderlic test and not - -

Punt75

Having mommy as your agent does not serve you well in preparing for the NFL draft. With a real agent, he might well have doubled his score.....or he just might have maxed out given what God gave him. Remember, Jimbo barely beat that score (in another era). 

1 hour ago, Punt75 said:

- - - run the 40 yard dash at the NFL combine or at his recent Pro Day??? 

ALL the combine events are optional.  Why take a test that has been proven to be very culturally & racially biased based on an individuals education and life experiences at a young age?  All NFL executives know this but get a bit nervous picking a team leader (QB) with a low score.

Culturally and racially biased? Ok Bernie Sanders, they ask everyone the same questions. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Or online iq tests aim to be complimentary so you’ll share results and friends click

if a great test taker why are you spending a minute per question on a tightly timed test? You should fly through what you quickly know instead of bogging down in working things out. It’s the easiest advice possible and why I said with minutes of coaching there’s little excuse for a college kid to be in the teens 

I hear ya however the on line tests do not let you go back.

and yes timed tests apparently are not my forte in the manner/form like these wonderlick tests. Probably internet problem also.

If it was like a real test I could skip the questions that take more time and FLY through the ones that I can answer on a dime. I could then return and answer the harder more involved ones. I would then answer many many more questions. 

12 min for 50 questions is about 14 sec per question avg and is not reasonable in my book. It takes a few sec to read the question and a few to read the answers. I would bet most if not all testers in NFL do not get to 50 questions. They just fly through and answer the ones they know immediately. Then go back to harder ones. Internet does not let you do that.

Internet tests do not let you go back. Maybe the real tests are on paper and you sit at a desk. Then I would do well as that is more normal testing. Or at least normal when I was in school.

Many of the questions I had were math and I did not use a calculator or paper/pen so that is slower also. Not sure if calculator is allowed.

4 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Culturally and racially biased? Ok Bernie Sanders, they ask everyone the same questions. 

I can address that for you a bit if you like.

College professors and the like make tests like the Wonderlic.  The object being to show how smart you are. Right?

What do you suppose the odds are that the professors would end up with a test that shows them to be morons?

It is zero. There is no chance of that happening at all. 

So the tests will automatically wind up being measures of things that bookish introverts know. Everybody who has some life experience knows there are different ways of being smart. We even have the word "book smart" for somebody who knows a lot of facts, but maybe seems incapable in other more practical life skills. 

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

College professors and the like make tests like the Wonderlic.  The object being to show how smart you are. Right?

What do you suppose the odds are that the professors would end up with a test that shows them to be morons?

So the tests will automatically wind up being measures of things that bookish introverts know. Everybody who has some life experience knows there are different ways of being smart. We even have the word "book smart" for somebody who knows a lot of facts, but maybe seems incapable in other more practical life skills. 

So you’re making the assumption that because Jackson is black he could not be a bookish introvert and the white QBs are?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

I hear ya however the on line tests do not let you go back.

and yes timed tests apparently are not my forte in the manner/form like these wonderlick tests. Probably internet problem also.

If it was like a real test I could skip the questions that take more time and FLY through the ones that I can answer on a dime. I could then return and answer the harder more involved ones. I would then answer many many more questions. 

12 min for 50 questions is about 14 sec per question avg and is not reasonable in my book. It takes a few sec to read the question and a few to read the answers. I would bet most if not all testers in NFL do not get to 50 questions. They just fly through and answer the ones they know immediately. Then go back to harder ones. Internet does not let you do that.

Internet tests do not let you go back. Maybe the real tests are on paper and you sit at a desk. Then I would do well as that is more normal testing. Or at least normal when I was in school.

Many of the questions I had were math and I did not use a calculator or paper/pen so that is slower also. Not sure if calculator is allowed.

Just skip the ones you don’t immediately know and don’t even worry about the going back factor. I bet your score goes up if you pace yourself properly for seeing close to 50 questions, but only answer those you immediately know or can get with quick work (under about 10-15 seconds). Ultimately getting 20 out of 47 is MUCH better than 13/15 (or even 15/15)

12 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

13 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

"Bookish introverts". Oh my - I smell a shooter that goes after professors and the intellectually elite.  Something happen at school that embarrassed you????????

7 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

So you’re making the assumption that because Jackson is black he could not be a bookish introvert and the white QBs are?

Well you can ready every word I said. Plainly I did not say or assume that.

Also when I said professors, I wasn't picturing a sex or a color, just a job.

Sometimes though with something I have thought about a lot, I forget to include conclusions because they seem a part of it to me. 

What I should have included was to say that being smart is not the same thing as if somebody would make a good professor. 

The measure is invalid in that way.

And I know with the constant focus on it in media etc it seems like I am the different one. But legit, my mind didn't even register between black and white on that list. I just don't think that way. Not because I am on some moral higher plain. But when you know so many people of so many different ethnicities as I happen to know, your mind doesn't sort them along those lines because really it is of no use. It doesn't tell me anything.

It is hard to explain unless you are in the circumstance but I actually have to focus and think about who I know is is what on that dimension. But I think it is the usal thing for people who know a lot of different ethnicities. Like my one friend said to me one time "You don't even see it".(race)

9 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

"Bookish introverts". Oh my - I smell a shooter that goes after professors and the intellectually elite.  Something happen at school that embarrassed you????????

That's the weirdest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. Stay away from me.

52 minutes ago, Chimp said:

What the what?  He has been in college for 3 years right?  Enough with the stupidness.  Unfair?  His education should be at the college junior level.

I agree with you completely, should be.  I assume you agree that all political leaders should be well informed, reasonably intelligent, etc etc.  Should be just isn't always an apt description of our world.

We live in a world where athletically talented young men are offered a full-time job playing football in college, that may, if they're talented enough and avoid injury, allow them to make serious money playing in the NFL.  Whatever should be, we all know that educating these guys in a general sense is not a priority.  Some of them, who come into college with great time management skills and a strong commitment to education, will be at the college junior level when they've been in college 3 years.  Most of them won't be.

The real question isn't how high their Wonderlic score may be, it's how quickly they can grasp a playbook, interpret what they see in the field, and react appropriately.  Now that may be related to Wonderlic score.  Or it may not.  

Oh, nit - not familiar with a word "stupidness".  Last I looked, word was "stupidity".  Yeah, it's a minor point, but if you're snarking at someone who doesn't appear to have abilities commensurate with their college year, it looks better if you write correctly yourself.

16 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

"Bookish introverts". Oh my - I smell a shooter that goes after professors and the intellectually elite.  Something happen at school that embarrassed you???????

Did you really have to quote his post 4 or 5 times to only to add that bizarro world one liner?

I don't want to get too personal here, but if you smell a shooter, perhaps you should trust your intuition and take cover?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Just skip the ones you don’t immediately know and don’t even worry about the going back factor. I bet your score goes up if you pace yourself properly for seeing close to 50 questions, but only answer those you immediately know or can get with quick work (under about 10-15 seconds). Ultimately getting 20 out of 47 is MUCH better than 13/15 (or even 15/15)

Yeah you are right. I just tried that and I got 24 of 33 right. Could not get past low 30 questions.

I went in blind on internet and did no research so have not studied how to do the wonderlick, so did very very poor when I did not know it was timed. Scores very low.

Properly preparing and taking this test and understanding the rules and I would do OK.

As the other poster stated any good agent could help the NFL guy do this test and get an OK score.

Lamar Jackson likely had no guidance except his mother.                                    (and went in blind like dumb ass me)

I had you guys....thanks buds.....:)

Edited by cba fan
error

36 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Processing speed is vital for a quarterback when reading through his progressions and that's why the Wonderlic has a time limit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Processing speed is vital for a quarterback when reading through his progressions and that's why the Wonderlic has a time limit.

Absolutely! Math skills are less important. If you have 6 pairs of pants, 5 shirts and 4 ties, how many combinations of outfits do you have? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. 

Just kidding. Proper preparation and basic math skills make that easy. Mommy as agent means failure. 

Now, how many people know how easy that is without some prep? I’d expect mostly panic to ensue. 
Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Wowwww, his mother is his agent??  Uhhh, perhaps she went to school and majored in Sports Management or something?  or, really knows her stuff inside and OKAY OKAY LET ME JUST STOP THERE....WTH?  That's certainly a head scratcher in MY opinion!  Lucky for Lamar, that's all it is, is my opinion.  Not that i don't think she could learn the job well, and perhaps even be a good one, but couldn't he have gotten her a better job somewhere??  Like VP of Customer Experience, or Quality Control Executive?   Nice, corner office with a big nice desk, super sweet big and comfy chair....kinda doesn't really answer to anyone, but also doesn't really help anyone either...like Butch McCrae's mom on Blue Chips..

Wowwwwww someone needs a !@#$ing beer.

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Wowwww, his mother is his agent??  Uhhh, perhaps she went to school and majored in Sports Management or something?  or, really knows her stuff inside and OKAY OKAY LET ME JUST STOP THERE....WTH?  That's certainly a head scratcher in MY opinion!  Lucky for Lamar, that's all it is, is my opinion.  Not that i don't think she could learn the job well, and perhaps even be a good one, but couldn't he have gotten her a better job somewhere??  Like VP of Customer Experience, or Quality Control Executive?   Nice, corner office with a big nice desk, super sweet big and comfy chair....kinda doesn't really answer to anyone, but also doesn't really help anyone either...like Butch McCrae's mom on Blue Chips..

You don’t really need an agent as someone entering the NFL for employment. The contracts are guaranteed more or less. The only way it would potentially hurt him in his first contract is in terms of sponsorships, but he can pick up an agent at any time. I personally like the kid a lot and think he is better than tyrod bc he is still looking downfield when he escapes unlike Taylor and he throws some pretty passes on the run. Up the middle too which some complain tyrod didn’t do but I tend to disagree. But he has the height to see those seams forming and has a quick release. I would be all in on taking him at 22 and letting AJ start and loading up our team w top 100 picks. I just realized I didn’t even address the op. Wonderlic means nothing. It does not measure football IQ in any shape or form. Football IQ is instinct not problem solving... my two cents fwiw.

Edited by umang_a_desai
Addendum

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Absolutely! Math skills are less important. If you have 6 pairs of pants, 5 shirts and 4 ties, how many combinations of outfits do you have? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. 

Just kidding. Proper preparation and basic math skills make that easy. Mommy as agent means failure. 

Now, how many people know how easy that is without some prep? I’d expect mostly panic to ensue. 

Then we'd know how they perform under pressure down four with two minutes left in the 4th quarter. :) 

3 minutes ago, umang_a_desai said:

You don’t really need an agent as someone entering the NFL for employment. The contracts are guaranteed more or less. The only way it would potentially hurt him in his first contract is in terms of sponsorships, but he can pick up an agent at any time. I personally like the kid a lot and think he is better than tyrod bc he is still looking downfield when he escapes unlike Taylor and he throws some pretty passes on the run. Up the middle too which some complain tyrod didn’t do but I tend to disagree. But he has the height to see those seams forming and has a quick release. I would be all in on taking him at 22 and letting AJ start and loading up our team w top 100 picks

But if you HAVE an agent, you might get picked a round sooner because a 13 on the Wonderlic scares everyone. Mommy didn’t know how to be an agent, and she failed him, unless he’s really that stupid (clever cover? Hmmm). So yes, you need SOMEBODY who know what the hell they are doing. 

15 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Yeah you are right. I just tried that and I got 24 of 33 right. Could not get past low 30 questions.

I went in blind on internet and did no research so have not studied how to do the wonderlick, so did very very poor when I did not know it was timed. Scores very low.

Properly preparing and taking this test and understanding the rules and I would do OK.

As the other poster stated any good agent could help the NFL guy do this test and get an OK score.

Lamar Jackson likely had no guidance except his mother.                                    (and went in blind like dumb ass me)

I had you guys....thanks buds.....:)

Thats the thing- I even messed up my advice in saying skip instead of advising to guess wildly when you don’t know. You still doubled your score 

If you knew this was part of a major job interview and you didn’t take a few minutes to learn the basics, that’s as much a red flag as anything else. If a guys sharp and scores in the teens on his official test- is he the type that’s first in and last out studying film? At that point I’d rather learn the guys dyslexic or has something we can learn to accommodate than that he’s too lazy or out of touch to spend 30 mins prepping on the basics of a test 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Then we'd know how they perform under pressure down four with two minutes left in the 4th quarter. :) 

Not under pressure (while that’s a big deal), bigger deal is who is smart enough to prepare before the event??? That’s Brady. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1