Is Derwin James the Hybrid LB The Bill's Are Looking For ?

It would be a luxury to take him at 12. Too small for LB and Mcdermott has a thing for finding safeties, we're ready to roll into the season with the guys we have at safety. If we are going to go undersized I'd far prefer Rashaan Evans at 22, it seems like he defends the line of scrimmage.. or Vander Esch if we go full size

Edited by buffalover4life
  • Like (+1) 1

This dude is legit...

No he’s not a maybin mold. He’s your Thomas Davis but twice the athlete.

Id bet he’s naturally 220 lbs vs the 215 at combine. I have no doubt he could bulk up to 225 by seasons start.

Could play any LBer position. Give him about 3-4 more years this kid could settle at 230 lbs no problem. Word is this kid is a tremendous leader and players gravitate towards him, plus he shows up on game day!!!

i think he goes top 10.

• Like (+1) 1

He is a little light for a linebacker, but might have the frame to add what he'd need to be OK.  With the NFL being such a pass happy league, most teams play nickel defense more than they play their so called base defense.  Perhaps McDermott could see Derwin James as a hybrid player who would be ideal in a nickel.  He's fast enough to cover tight ends and a lot of WRs, and big enough not to be a liability when offenses end up running the ball in "obvious passing situations" as they so often do.

Edited by TigerJ

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

IF, IF, IF, no QB in round 1, then this is what I want:

12:  Roquan Smith  LB

18:  (trade up with SEA)   Da'Ron Payne  DT

I have to disagree with the second pick. I’m all for roquan or Davenport [also releasing or trading Jerry to save some $$$ If so] at 12 if we can’t trade up or snag mayfield but with all the holes we need I feel like trading 22nd pick back to possibly the eagles 32nd pick could be totally do-able. They could move up to go after a runningback or rashadd Evans and we could scoop up another 2nd or 3rd which would give us 7 in top 100. Which would be dope if we could hit on 5 of those atleast. I like m. Hughes, wynn, penny, Darius Leonard[considering we get Smith] Sutterland or Kirk could be available at 32. Just my opinion 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buf4life said:

I have to disagree with the second pick. I’m all for roquan or Davenport [also releasing or trading Jerry to save some $$$ If so] at 12 if we can’t trade up or snag mayfield but with all the holes we need I feel like trading 22nd pick back to possibly the eagles 32nd pick could be totally do-able. They could move up to go after a runningback or rashadd Evans and we could scoop up another 2nd or 3rd which would give us 7 in top 100. Which would be dope if we could hit on 5 of those atleast. I like m. Hughes, wynn, penny, Darius Leonard[considering we get Smith] Sutterland or Kirk could be available at 32. Just my opinion 

Correction, eagles don’t even have a 2nd or 3rd lol still sounds good in theory with the right partner 

7 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Maybe we can get Dick Butkus instead?

I don't see the logic of taking the best safety in the draft to become a MIKE linebacker. Just makes no sense. 

I know Deion Jones, but it is a totally different frame than James. It's not just about weight, height is a factor as well. 6-1 222 is way differnt than 6-3 215. Plus he has us passing on Evans and LVE...

I know that teams spend a lot of the time in nickel. If I was playing the Bills and they had a 6-3 215 pound MIKE,  I would load up on tight ends and jam the ball down their throat, rendering their nickel defense useless. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1