Is Derwin James the Hybrid LB The Bill's Are Looking For ?

Just now, Pete said:

NFL teams run the nickel as a base defense 65% of the time.  I am ok with a nickel defense of Derwin James, Tre'Davious, Poyer, Vontae Davis, and Micah Hyde.  That would be one of best in NFL

I'm not opposed to that idea, but I am opposed to using the 12th pick this year to make that happen. 

In my opinion 12 has to be used to either get the QB of the future, or if that's not possible, one of Smith or Edmunds drops to 12 and you grab an all pro 3 down LB. 

Just now, TOboy said:

I'm not opposed to that idea, but I am opposed to using the 12th pick this year to make that happen. 

In my opinion 12 has to be used to either get the QB of the future, or if that's not possible, one of Smith or Edmunds drops to 12 and you grab an all pro 3 down LB. 

I agree.  LB and QB are two biggest needs on this team.  But CB is up there too.  Brace yourself, because we will draft one high IMO

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Derwin James was a 5 star recruit who is 6'3 215 and ran a 4.7 with a 40" vertical.   He is compared to Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey.  Not to mention, it is a position of need.  This front office would be stupid not to consider him at 12

If they don't draft a QB after stockpiling picks for the first time in 20 years, and instead pick a player considered a "hybrid", they would be !@#$ing fools.

Edited by OJABBA

And if there is a QB run as expected and we are shut out of top 5- I am ok with Derwin James at 12 and Vander Esch or Rashan Evans at 22.  Then stockpiling offense

2 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

If they don't draft a QB after stockpiling picks for the first time in 20 years, and instead pick a player considered a "hybrid", they would be !@#$ing fools.

He is not a 1990's hybrid.  He is more of a swiss army knife.   He can match up with Gronk or AJ Green or Kamara.  He can line up outside, inside, at LB.  He can blitz, and he can bring it.  He would instantly make our defense much better

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

And if there is a QB run as expected and we are shut out of top 5- I am ok with Derwin James at 12 and Vander Esch or Rashan Evans at 22.  Then stockpiling offense

Cool....and who are you? Are you on the coaching staff? I mean, I understand this is a forum, but I don't care if you are ok with it, it's stupid. It's a foolish risk, and considering the circumstances, I would be shocked that they would do any such thing.

Edited by OJABBA

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree.  LB and QB are two biggest needs on this team.  But CB is up there too.  Brace yourself, because we will draft one high IMO

James is not a corner back or a linebacker.  I am a big, big, fan of him.  But he is a safety.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Cool....and who are you? Are you on the coaching staff? I mean, I understand this is a forum, but I don't care if you are ok with it, it's stupid.

It was a reply to Toboy there sunshine

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Not at 12.  Take Vea, and likely get him at 22.  

With Star here we don't need another NT type in Vea, instead we need a Kyle replacement aka a penetrating DT. I'd welcome a guy like Taven Bryan at #22.  In terms of James, he needs to gain at least 10-20 lbs for me to feel comfortable for him as a LB yet as others said am wary of hybrid guys as he could be another Shaq Thompson or could be another Jabril Peppers. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Derwin James was a 5 star recruit who is 6'3 215 and ran a 4.7 with a 40" vertical.   He is compared to Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey.  Not to mention, it is a position of need.  This front office would be stupid not to consider him at 12

Isn't 4.7 kind of slow? PP is a 4.3 guy and Ramsey ran a low 4.4. 

1 hour ago, OJABBA said:

Cool....and who are you? Are you on the coaching staff? I mean, I understand this is a forum, but I don't care if you are ok with it, it's stupid. It's a foolish risk, and considering the circumstances, I would be shocked that they would do any such thing.

And who are you?  Are you on the coaching staff?  Calling other posters opinions “stupid” is....well, stupid, IMHO.  

Derwin James is a top 10 overall prospect, and many talent evaluators feel that he can play S & nickel linebacker.  Could provide incredible versatility.  I would be a surprised if he even made it to 12.  I would be a little surprised if they drafted James at 12, but not completely floored.  Guys like James give DC’s wet dreams.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

With Star here we don't need another NT type in Vea, instead we need a Kyle replacement aka a penetrating DT. I'd welcome a guy like Taven Bryan at #22.  In terms of James, he needs to gain at least 10-20 lbs for me to feel comfortable for him as a LB yet as others said am wary of hybrid guys as he could be another Shaq Thompson or could be another Jabril Peppers. 

I like Bryan a lot.  We could even get Vea and Bryan, replacements for both guys.  Imagine that rotation.  

Or a better LB at 12, and Bryan at 22.  

18 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Interesting, but ridiculous. 215 pound 4-3 MIKE? Not sure going to work in the NFL. 

This would be a terrible draft. 

Deone Buccannon, better than any linebacker Bills have

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, noacls said:

Deone Buccannon, better than any linebacker Bills have

He's a 3-4 inside Linebacker so protected by both the nose and the mike playing inside next to him. Interesting to see what the Cards do with him now that they have moved to a 4-3. I'd venture to guess they are going to move him back to safety. Also he is 6-1 211, James is 6-3 215. These are completely different body types. 

Sounds fancy on paper, but just not the right fit for what we do.