Josh Rosen’s coach said he would take Darnold 1st

Just now, BuffaloSol said:

Arrogant O Lineman that cares about football without a injury history. Don't see the relevance. 

Oh, I was going off the "easy to root for" angle. I'm just curious, that's all.

You know, considering that Richie is a racist that's had to pay off a woman to drop sexual assault charges.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not many of us, which is why it's prudent and logical to refrain from jumping to any major conclusions about their personalities. You dont know him, all we can fairly judge him on is his play on the field. Anything else is pretty middle-school.

I'm not saying he isnt an arrogant prick, I'm saying we don't know. But I'm here for football, not E! Entertainment Television, so I'm not going to get lured into that discussion. The good news is, the GMs get to meet these guys and WILL have a good idea of their personality.

Leadership is a quality that someone can judge and I am using the information I have to judge that quality, and I don't like what I see. That doesn't mean I am right but, it's just how I perceive it right now. 

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Richie has missed almost 20 games in his career from injuries.

He hasn't missed more than a couple in the past 10 years, and has not missed any with us.

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

No he wasn't.

Mora is a bad coach. I am a UCLA alum and know of what I speak. He did recruit well, which is of course at least half the battle. But game day coaching? He's awful. Consistently outcoached by the better coaches in the Pac 12 in games in which the talent level was more or less even. 

14 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Oh, I was going off the "easy to root for" angle. I'm just curious, that's all.

You know, considering that Richie is a racist that's had to pay off a woman to drop sexual assault charges.

Just using racial slurs as a joke or a hazing tactic does not make you a racist.  (Sorry if that hurts someones feelings.)It does however make you an a-hole, bully, piece trash human. I don't think that this management would have picked him up a couple years ago.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he could have recruited worth a damn it might have helped

He did, just apparently couldn't coach or hire the right coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he could have recruited worth a damn it might have helped

This is incorrect, Yolo. UCLA recruited *extremely* well while he was there overall. 

http://dailybruin.com/2017/04/27/mckinley-likely-to-be-bruins-fourth-first-rounder-in-five-years/

and

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Just using racial slurs as a joke or a hazing tactic does not make you a racist.  (Sorry if that hurts someones feelings.)It does however make you an a-hole, bully, piece trash human. I don't think that this management would have picked him up a couple years ago.

I didn't mean the Martin stuff. There was more vicious racist abuse of an Asian member of staff while he was with the Fins.

When people start talking about character and whatnot, I like to find out where lines get drawn. I'm still trying to work out the line that the staff has. I think Richie is a fair extreme to bring up, simply because he's the worst example on the team and the team seem to be okay with who he is (along with Dion's assault charge at Temple).

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This is incorrect, Yolo. UCLA recruited *extremely* well while he was there overall. 

http://dailybruin.com/2017/04/27/mckinley-likely-to-be-bruins-fourth-first-rounder-in-five-years/

They weren’t even in the top 10 in recruiting any year that when Rosen was there, including Rosen’s class where he was the only 5 star. When cold weather schools are pulling kids out of his backyard that’s a problem. 3 1st rounders drafted in 8 years isn’t very good imo for a program like that. If it was, say, Illinois, I’d be impressed. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Chip, he’s going to change the recruiting there.

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They weren’t even in the top 10 in recruiting any year that when Rosen was there, including Rosen’s class where he was the only 5 star. When cold weather schools are pulling kids out of his backyard that’s a problem. 3 1st rounders drafted in 8 years isn’t very good imo for a program like that. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Chip, he’s going to change the recruiting there.

Then whoever is assigning those stars is full of crap because they have been raking when it comes to NFL draft picks. That to me is a FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR(!) better measure of recruiting acumen than high school rankings. And it'll be 5 first rounders in 6 years after this draft, not three in 8. He started coaching there in 2012.  Two Bruins are likely to go in the first round this year (Rosen for sure and in all probability Kolton Miller).  Sorry, Yolo, but you're just factually wrong on this. Look at the number of NFL draftees UCLA had in the four years prior to his arrival. It was a truly meager total.

Edited by dave mcbride

22 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I didn't mean the Martin stuff. There was more vicious racist abuse of an Asian member of staff while he was with the Fins.

When people start talking about character and whatnot, I like to find out where lines get drawn. I'm still trying to work out the line that the staff has. I think Richie is a fair extreme to bring up, simply because he's the worst example on the team and the team seem to be okay with who he is (along with Dion's assault charge at Temple).

Still doesn't make him racist, but I sure don't want him on the team, the stuff he said goes way beyond what's okay to say even as jokes. He seems to be our only good o linemen now though which sucks. And Dion Dawkins got into a fight at a club when he was a college kid, not a deal breaker for me. 

47 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

and

All of their high draft nfl picks under Mora were defensive players.  The offensive talent that surrounded Rosen was embarrassing and so was their defense.

Mora rightly got fired for completely underachieving in a school that should be a powerhouse.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Still doesn't make him racist, but I sure don't want him on the team, the stuff he said goes way beyond what's okay to say even as jokes. He seems to be our only good o linemen now though which sucks. And Dion Dawkins got into a fight at a club when he was a college kid, not a deal breaker for me. 

I appreciate your honesty. I was lucky enough to talk to Dion about it during the draft process. I was satisfied with the answer he gave me and it seems as though the team was okay with it as well.

Back on the topic of Josh Rosen,  I don't think he's the personality type that the Bills will want. I don't particularly agree with it myself but I can see the logic in it from McDermott's side of affairs. When you're trying to establish a culture, you might not appreciate a guy questioning your methods while you're trying to establish them.

I do wonder if some of this stuff does come from scouts resenting Rosen for his background, considering they do long hours for a fairly measly salary (at least most of the entry-level area scouts). You certainly see it among wider society.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All of their high draft nfl picks under Mora were defensive players.  The offensive talent that surrounded Rosen was embarrassing and so was their defense.

Mora rightly got fired for completely underachieving in a school that should be a powerhouse.

That's mostly right, but really, only on the game day coaching front. The defensive players were drafted higher on average, but they will have two likely first rounders from the offense this year and quite possibly 4 offensive players overall (Rosen, Miller, Lasley, and Quessenberry). Of the 25 selected before this season since the 2013 draft (5 years), 13 were defensive and 11 offensive.  There was one punter too.  

Regardless, 25 over 5 years is really strong. Anyone who thinks this number is unimpressive is crazy. In that same time frame, ND had 24 players selected, USC 22, Oregon 17, Georgia 21, Michigan 22, Texas 10,  and Auburn 17. I could go on - these were simply the first random top tier schools I looked at. 

6 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I appreciate your honesty. I was lucky enough to talk to Dion about it during the draft process. I was satisfied with the answer he gave me and it seems as though the team was okay with it as well.

Back on the topic of Josh Rosen,  I don't think he's the personality type that the Bills will want. I don't particularly agree with it myself but I can see the logic in it from McDermott's side of affairs. When you're trying to establish a culture, you might not appreciate a guy questioning your methods while you're trying to establish them.

I do wonder if some of this stuff does come from scouts resenting Rosen for his background, considering they do long hours for a fairly measly salary (at least most of the entry-level area scouts). You certainly see it among wider society.

Agreed about the Bills and Rosen. I have a hunch they don't like him or want him.

Edited by dave mcbride