Making the case for Lamar Jackson

502Buffs

I predict that he becomes a likeable bust. Not a lazy frat boy like Leinhart who decided to spend his prep time in the hot tub with the coeds, but a guy who works hard, has a few nice moments, but never really makes it.

I hope I'm wrong, though, because if he is good he will be fun to watch.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

No because the game film shows he has plenty of arm for the NFL game.  

That was my thought too, but if you look at the success rate of guys throwing 50 or under, it's pretty low. Deshaun Watson and Tyrod to an extent are outliers. 

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://footballiqscore.com/

Do us all a favor. 

1) Take the test right now with no practice.  I'm betting that's what Jackson did since he's probably the only high profile coming out in decades to not have an Agent who would force him to practice and prepare for the test itself.  The truth of the matter is that you can drastically improve your score on standardized tests with a  few simple test taking strategies.  It's often not indicative of intelligence or processing speed, but prior practice and proper test taking strategies.

and

2) Tell us which questions apply to being a QB on an NFL field in terms of executing an offensive playbook and reading defenses.

Maybe he just didn't think the test was worth a damn so he broke with convention and didn't prepare for the exam.

From the sounds of it, it's possible the kid (and his mother) is so sick and tired of being cajoled time and time again into trying out other positions like punt returner or WR when all he's wanted to be is a QB and he's had historic success at the position after the last couple of years that's he's just at a "take it or leave it," point.

He's going to be playing QB for a football team, he's not going to be a rocket scientist.  What's the point of a standardized test?

If you argue it's processing speed or ability to execute an NFL offense, he could just point to his college film over the last 2 years in an NFL offense against high-level competition.

I got a 32 with no practice.

I also don't know what the F*ck the test has to do with being a QB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you worried that he threw 49 mph at the combine? 

For what it's worth, Benjamin Allbright cited velocity numbers from the Combine that said Lamar hit 54 MPH. Still not quite the 55 that is considered the ideal, but damn close.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The biggest attribute a QB needs is the ability to think and solve problems quickly.

That's why it's germane.

It's completely different types of problem-solving though. The thought process involved in "If someone is dropping into coverage over here, that means there's probably an opening over here" is completely different than "What word, when added to the beginning of MILL and the end of CHAIN, creates two other words?"

On 4/17/2018 at 8:38 AM, the skycap said:

Ben Solak

Solak is the "Contextualized QB" guy with NDT scouting.  He does like Jackson, but he doesn't put him #1

He talked with Schopp but I think it was earlier last week?  Monday or Tues?

20 hours ago, DCOrange said:

For what it's worth, Benjamin Allbright cited velocity numbers from the Combine that said Lamar hit 54 MPH. Still not quite the 55 that is considered the ideal, but damn close.

It's completely different types of problem-solving though. The thought process involved in "If someone is dropping into coverage over here, that means there's probably an opening over here" is completely different than "What word, when added to the beginning of MILL and the end of CHAIN, creates two other words?"

Yes. 

Both these sorts of thought processes improve with familiarity and practice.  Many of us from scholastically-focused families have been practicing the Wonderlic type of smarts thought processes since young.

I would get my clock cleaned if I stepped out on a football field and was asked to do the sort of rapid pattern recognition/decision/action  NFL QB need to master; while smart at standardized tests, I am "dumb as a rock" where the real-time mental processing required of practical football QBing is concerned..

As far as the public information we have, while putting enough work in to keep grades up and be eligible to play in HS and for a college scholarship, Jackson has been focused on mastering the QB sort of problem solving since a young age.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On 3/26/2018 at 5:09 PM, joesixpack said:

I think the point is if Rosen's in that situation, he WON'T do that.

Which is what I and many others want. Throw it away.

One of the knocks on Rosen is that he tries to make plays when he should throw the ball away.