Making the case for Lamar Jackson

502Buffs

On 4/23/2018 at 5:58 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pats Host Jackson, 'Impressed' with Louisville QB

The New England Patriots have done their due diligence on the most dynamic quarterback in this week's draft.

The Patriots hosted Lamar Jackson on a Top 30 pre-draft visit, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per sources informed of the meeting.

The visit took place two weeks ago and left New England brass "intrigued and impressed" with Jackson, per Rapoport.

Classic Belichick.....hopes to influence some dumb team ahead of them to pick him.  :lol:

Final push time for the Jackson die hards!

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Classic Belichick.....hopes to influence some dumb team ahead of them to pick him.  :lol:

Final push time for the Jackson die hards!

Or maybe they're actually impressed by the kid's skills with the thought he can be successful at the NFL level in time. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Or maybe they're actually impressed by the kid's skills with the thought he can be successful at the NFL level in time. 

come on, now. don't be absurd... 

I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius and the guest was saying that some team would have to totally revamp its offense and build around Jackson...

I literally got chills as it dawned on me: THIS IS THE PLAN!

The Bills have virtually nothing built on offense. Everyone will be new. They will be the team. Jackson will be their man at 12. Beane is trying to get teams to trade up and take other QBs.

I predict they take Jackson.

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 3/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, Blokestradamus said:

Lamar won't run as much in the NFL and he didn't miss a single game as a starter. Not sure why so many are worried about injuries with him when Ben Roethlisberger is a 300-pound pocket passer that's basically the Bionic Man.

Vick got busted up quite a bit back in the day when you could still hit a QB and that took it's toll later.   Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers also started in a more violent era...........if Goodell hadn't stepped in and turned the QB position into two-hand touch Ben and ARodg would have been concussed out of the league by 2012.........and yet they could both probably get 5 year extensions today if they'd sign em'.:lol:

Jackson couldn't be entering the league at a better time...........this year defenders won't even be able to lead with the helmet.

I have to admit I've convinced myself that keeping all our picks is the right move to make. At 12 I'm running to the podium with Jackson's name on the card... I mean with 6 picks in the top 100 we can hit up QB, WR, LB, OL and have a decent overall roster. 

As far as liking Jackson as the pick well imo he is the most athletic QB period. I think if you like Allen with his horrid completion percentage and Pickspatrick like tendencies but love his athleticism you have to like Jackson just a bit. I think his completion percentages are actually decent compared to the other top prospects this year.

The guy has progressed as a "passer" every season. He does have a rocket arm and can easily make deep throws... even with a narrow base and at times without  his feet planted properly. He's stated that he has worked on being a passer first and his improvement over the years backs that up.

As far as his running ability goes he's second to none this year. I know we all have this bad taste after Taylor but the running was actually something I liked IF Taylor would just throw the ball to his open WRs. Take some risks. I doubt Jackson will be as risk averse as Taylor was. If I have a choice between a QB that can only pass well and one who can pass and run well... I'm taking the dual threat. I'm not going to let Taylor's inability to throw the ball when he could sour me on Jackson. As far as concerns about him getting hit and injired that's kind of laughable with the rules in place and the new no helmet deal this season. Plenty of QBs have been ended standing in the pocket. It's football it happens.

Michael Vick has stated Jackson is better than he was in college. I think that's something that shouldn't be shrugged off. Remember Vick when he was in his prime? From what I've seen of him he is very similar to Vick. Flicks his wrist and the ball zips through the air... Can make defenders look silly when he runs with it. Vick was one of those generational talents. If I could get a Vick at 12 and retain my other picks to bolster the roster with top 100 talent... I'd be all over it.

Now the worries... I think he is going to need to work his brain off to be a franchise QB. If Jackson can put in the work on film and the playbook he has all the athletic tools and talent to be the best QB in this draft. My worry is that because he is so physically gifted he will slack off on the film. Slack on preparation. That is what makes QBs great imo. The film and bookwork. He needs some mechanics work too. The narrow base and stuff. That shows me he is used to using his athleticism as a crutch. Vick slacked on his "homework" but did alright... On the other hand Manziel has stated he was not about Xs and Os and we see where he's at. 

I think Jackson can be a damn good QB if he puts his brain to it. Physically he has all the tools he needs and then some. He just can't rely solely on his athleticism he's gotta put in the mental work. So if he's not doing good at the white board in these interviews that's a big red flag.

I started this off season being a Rosen or nothing guy but if we have to trade away these prime picks for him with the state of the WRs and OL it leaves me feeling worried. I mean 6 picks between rounds 1-3 can be a haul of talent for a roster that needs it across multiple areas. One of these QBs will fall to 12. Happens all the time.

Imo Rosen is the only QB worth moving up for... If he's gone I sit Pat at 12 and get the next highest rated QB on my board. If that's a pool that includes Jackson I take him and build the best roster I can with my other 5 top 100 picks.

• Like (+1) 2

Lamar Jackson is going to be our Franchise QB at pick number 12. He will be there; a true Superstar. Lamar made a definitive statement by not running the 40. He's a true pocket passer with "EFF YOU" speed and athleticism. He can make those difficult passes just like Rosen, Mayfield, and Dahnold. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the only QB left standing 3 years from now and every other QB from this draft are busts.

I couldn't care less about his Wonderlic score. He's a great kid, not a troublemaker, hard worker, and good listener. He's so much better than Tyrod and Lamar is not conservative on the field. I think he's going to be better than Michael Vick.

And we don't have to trade our picks to get him. Sweet. He has the potential to be a Touchdown Factory.

• Like (+1) 1