Odell Beckham says he won’t step on the field without a new contract

That is certainly his right.  I hope the Giants have the stones to say, “That’s fine with us, just sit for a year without pay. It was nice knowing you. Don’t let the door hit your a** on the way out.”

I think that given an entire year away from football he would not be able to stay out of trouble. I have lost all patience with pampered, me first, infantile athletes.  ODB is one of the worst. There is no doubting that he is a special talent, but I believe that he is mentally unstable and it’s only a matter of time before he does something so stupid that it costs him his career.

I know how bleak our WR position is right now, but I can say with absolute sincerity that I’m glad he’s not a Buffalo Bill.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That is certainly his right.  I hope the Giants have the stones to say, “That’s fine with us, just sit for a year without pay. It was nice knowing you. Don’t let the door hit your a** on the way out.”

I think that given an entire year away from football he would not be able to stay out of trouble. I have lost all patience with pampered, me first, infantile athletes.  ODB is one of the worst. There is no doubting that he is a special talent, but I believe that he is mentally unstable and it’s only a matter of time before he does something so stupid that it costs him his career.

I know how bleak our WR position is right now, but I can say with absolute sincerity that I’m glad he’s not a Buffalo Bill.

Depends on the Giants plan.  If they are thinking NOT QB at #2 then they are trying to give it a run and need ODB.  Might be good timing for him to hold the Hiants hostage.

• Like (+1) 1

That's fine... But he actually has little to no leverage. If he doesn't show up and play, he won't use up this year of the contract, still be under contract with NYG, and have wasted a year in his prime.

It's like playing chicken with a  freight train: it won't give up, flinch, or stop. You either give in or get run over.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Honestly, a trade to the Browns makes some sense for both Beckham and Cleveland if the Giants decide to move on.

Do the Browns really need him?   If I were the Giants I wouldnt trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick and let him sit out if he wants to use this power play. 

I think the perfect landing place for this guy is Seattle.

Edited by thenorthremembers

If OBD really wants franchise QB money and won’t back down, I don’t think he is going to make it onto the field this year. This is Gettleman’s first year on the job.  He might not want to set that kind of hold out to get paid precedent.

After that injury I think OBD needs to prove he’s back to 100% and the only place he can do that is on the field.  I don’t see the Giants giving him a multi-year $100mm contact before they see him back on the field.

That would be a tough pill to swallow for the Giants.

33 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

I agree, Odell seems to be a giant headache. Not to mention what he wants to get paid will totally handicap the team he is on. Hes not worth it. He was injured as a rookie, missed all last year. Stay away from him. 

He could have been our  headache. 

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Before anyone asks, the Bills won't trade for him and, if he's released, he won't come here.

Trade our second rounder in 2019 for him, and go get Rosen.

We might win a Super Bowl this year.

Edited by jmc12290

He simply is not worth the money he is asking for. No one is questioning that he is one of the best receivers in the game but from a roster and cap balance standpoint he isn't worth the financial commitment. He has a recent history of being plagued with injuries and he can be a disruptive and unstable person in the locker room and on the field. 

I'm not saying that he is a bad guy or a good guy. From an analytical standpoint of cost to talent to availability to his disruptive behavior he is not the type of player that you would be able to count on. If you have problems with him now what will happen when the player has even more leverage over the team when there is such a financial commitment to him. 

The guy claims he wants the type of transformative contract that Cousins received, to set a new bar for WR contracts in the future. If that’s true he really needs to do a better job of keeping his head down and off social media. He’s probably already blown his chance with the latest pictures/video.

What if the Giants say they are willing to trade their 2nd overall pick, but you have to take Odell Beckham off their hands too?

They want a 2nd for Beckham and you will have to pay him more than Sammy Watkins of course. He wants to be the highest paid. 

Do you give a second and a 3 year contract at the league's highest WR salary, in order to be allowed to give 3 firsts to the Giants for their 2nd overall pick?

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He simply is not worth the money he is asking for. No one is questioning that he is one of the best receivers in the game but from a roster and cap balance standpoint he isn't worth the financial commitment. He has a recent history of being plagued with injuries and he can be a disruptive and unstable person in the locker room and on the field. 

I'm not saying that he is a bad guy or a good guy. From an analytical standpoint of cost to talent to availability to his disruptive behavior he is not the type of player that you would be able to count on. If you have problems with him now what will happen when the player has even more leverage over the team when there is such a financial commitment to him. 

If he stays healthy and focused, he's worth the money simply because he can win you games on his own.     But I agree with you--when you take into account what a nightmare prima donna the guy is, his unstable personality and injury history, he's like adopting a crazy dog who bites everyone--no matter how much you try to train him, he's always going to be a huge pain the ass.

People say I'm nuts but I wouldn't take the guy on my team for free.  He gets more TV time and attention when he's hurt and not playing than any other player on the field, and he promotes it.  After awhile the act gets old, then it just gets maddening.  He's amazing on the field, but a huge part of football is what happens off the field, and he's a loser in that sense.