Report: Darnold is the only QB Giants would take at 2

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/374745/Giants-expected-to-pass-on-non-Darnold-QBs

According to ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan, USC's Sam Darnold is the only quarterback the Giants would take at the No. 2 overall pick.

It sounds like the Giants' scouting grades on Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, and Josh Allen simply aren't high enough for GM Dave Gettleman to consider picking one of the non-Darnold quarterbacks at No. 2. Gettleman has a history of drafting running backs high -- he took Christian McCaffrey eighth overall in Carolina last year -- and he never traded down in any round of the draft during four seasons as Panthers GM. Barring Gettleman disregarding his scouts or reversing course on his historical anti-trade-down stance, Penn State RB Saquon Barkley and NC State DE/OLB Bradley Chubb appear to be co-favorites to go at No. 2.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Darnold goes 1

Barkley or Chubb goes 2

Baker or Allen goes 3

Bills get a nice shiny Rosen at 4

I really doubt we don’t take Rosen at 3 if he is sitting there. I’m thinking Allen only becomes a real possibility if Rosen is gone. 

I mean, I have been wrong before but from what I know about what the front offices intentions are the board is set at Darnold, Rosen and Allen in that particular order.

It strikes me as wishful thinking to believe that the Jets won't take Rosen. Bills fans want the Jets to take Allen because they want no part of Allen, and would like Rosen to fall. But I doubt that's happening. My guess is the Bills trade up to either 2 or 4 and take Allen. And then the board will explode. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I really doubt we don’t take Rosen at 3 if he is sitting there. I’m thinking Allen only becomes a real possibility if Rosen is gone. 

I mean, I have been wrong before but from what I know about what the front offices intentions are the board is set at Darnold, Rosen and Allen in that particular order.

I would also be somewhat surprised.  Some folks think Allen is like Hackenberg.  I think there will be some hesitation to take a similar risk with an expensive pick.  

1 minute ago, MemBill said:

It strikes me as wishful thinking to believe that the Jets won't take Rosen. Bills fans want the Jets to take Allen because they want no part of Allen, and would like Rosen to fall. But I doubt that's happening. My guess is the Bills trade up to either 2 or 4 and take Allen. And then the board will explode. 

I kinda like Allen, though I get why people think he will be a bust.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I would also be somewhat surprised.  Some folks think Allen is like Hackenberg.  I think there will be some hesitation to take a similar risk with an expensive pick.  

He sorta is but he sorta isn’t. I think Allen will be more successful. I also think he is the same mold of player..big..strong..good IQ..needs work in the same areas.

But If you remember, last year Hackenberg was considered undraftable by PFF and various other outlets..Allen is considered a top 10 guy so obviously there is a difference. Allen can make the throws more consistenly than Hack could in college. Hack also had a terrible pro day while Allen’s pro day turned a lot of heads. Allen’s upside is extremely higher than Hackenberg’s, they just have the same skill sets and same sort of problems. 

I would think Allen is like what Hackenberg should of been.

And yes, definitely hesitation to take a potential project with the #3 pick. Macc doesn’t want to get burned again..because he will be fired if he does. That’s why Rosen is the safest and surest pick at 3. We definitely go Rosen if he is there at 3.

Edited by Patriot Killa

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

He sorta is but he sorta isn’t. I think Allen will be more successful. I also think he is the same mold of player..big..strong..good IQ..needs work in the same areas.

But If you remember, last year Hackenberg was considered undraftable by PFF and various other outlets..Allen is considered a top 10 guy so obviously there is a difference. Allen can make the throws more consistenly than Hack could in college. Hack also had a terrible pro day while Allen’s pro day turned a lot of heads. Allen’s upside is extremely higher than Hackenberg’s, they just have the same skill sets and same sort of problems. 

I would think Allen is like what Hackenberg should of been.

Oh, I agree.  Well, I think we know Hackenberg is not an NFL qb.  Jury is still out on Allen, but I think he has a chance to be really good.  Hence, I'll be rather glad if you pass on him, but I understand why Jets might do so.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I am seriously wondering if the Bills are giving serious consideration to Jackson at 12 or Rudolph at 22.  The only hope would be for Cleveland to trade out #4. 

I think its certainly in consideration I would imagine, as are multiple trade up scenarios.  

Personally I think one of two things are the more probably scenario:  Bills stay put at 12 and let the draft come to them and take the highest graded player on their board (QB or LB).  Or they will make a cheaper trade up to somewhere like 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 for one of the guys who dont go top 5.  

Trading to 1 or inside top 5 is still a possibility of course, I am just skeptical that the Browns or Giants will trade those picks, or that Beane will pay the ransom it would take.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Oh, I agree.  Well, I think we know Hackenberg is not an NFL qb.  Jury is still out on Allen, but I think he has a chance to be really good.  Hence, I'll be rather glad if you pass on him, but I understand why Jets might do so.

Was talking to someone on here last night who mentioned the Perkins offense you guys were bringing in this season.

Allen would actually be an extremely good fit for that offense, given his prototypical size and the style in which he plays. If you guys can develop him, he’s going to be extremely good on the pro level.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Darnold goes 1

Barkley or Chubb goes 2

Baker or Allen goes 3

Bills get a nice shiny Rosen at 4

Nice and shiny ?? Guess you didn’t do you homework now go to your room 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Actually, we are for the #2 pick.  They'll take Barkley or Chubb.

Giants taking QB #2 is the only nightmare scenario.  If they stay at 2 and don't go QB, that pushes QBs down the board, with the potential of one or two getting to the back half of the top 10, depending on Denver.  If one or two gets into the Indy - Tampa - Chicago range the price on a move could be very reasonable.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I am seriously wondering if the Bills are giving serious consideration to Jackson at 12 or Rudolph at 22.  The only hope would be for Cleveland to trade out #4. 

Why only 4?  Why not Denver, Indy, TB, Chicago, SF.  While it’s def possible, it’s not a given that the top 4 QBs are going 1-4. Allen or Baker could fall to 10 or so imo.  I don’t think they fall to us, as I believe someone would trade ahead of us to snag them, but we could trade up to 5-10. The #4 pick is hardly the only hope for a top 4 Qb

The Bills may have an idea of who the Browns are favoriting at 1. If it’s Darnold they may Have a trade with the Giants in place

if it’s not Darnold this could be a smokescreen for Gettlemen wanting Darnold so that any team interested in him needs to trade with Giants cuz Darnold isn’t getting past them. 

I think it’s all jockeying and coming from a Giants beat writer even increases the smokescreen factor

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think its certainly in consideration I would imagine, as are multiple trade up scenarios.  

Personally I think one of two things are the more probably scenario:  Bills stay put at 12 and let the draft come to them and take the highest graded player on their board (QB or LB).  Or they will make a cheaper trade up to somewhere like 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 for one of the guys who dont go top 5.  

Trading to 1 or inside top 5 is still a possibility of course, I am just skeptical that the Browns or Giants will trade those picks, or that Beane will pay the ransom it would take.  

Me too, I just don't see the Giants (with Darnold gone) or Browns passing on drafting either Chubb or Barkley, and it's obvious they'll both be in that situation.

Browns: Darnold

Giants: Barkley or Chubb

Jets: Allen, Mayfield or Rosen

Browns: Barkley or Chubb

Broncos: ?

Colts: ?

Things seem to be shaking out ok for the Bills, as far as having options to get a QB goes.