Standing Pat...

Looking at the teams depth chart, I'm stating the obvious, but they're really thin in a number of key positions.  I attribute the run to playoffs having more to do with solid coaching, pride, and a dumb luck, than the overall talent on the roster.  All indications were that it was a tank year, like the 76ers, we were all to trust the process.  I give a lot of credit to the players, in not accepting losing as a forgone conclusion and over achieving.  I'm really impressed with what management has done with amassing draft capital.  Now they just can't blow it and draft an Okafor, let's find healthy versions of Simmons and Embiid.  We should take advantage of all the hype surrounding this QB class and get cornerstone pieces in place with the corresponding drop of other positions.  Draft BPA and don't get cute.  Two positions that make everyone around them better, OL and DL should be the focus, with skill position players on offense mixed in rounds 2 and 3.  It may not be sexy, but it's what will build sustained success.  This would potentially allow McCoy to put up one more monster year before Father Time comes a calling, and hopefully provide depth on DL helping the DBs and LBs.  This could be the start of dethroning the evil empire.  Let's see if this front office can help speed up sending BB and TB12 into the sunset.     

I apologize for the Philadelphia references but I've been here since the early 2000s and have seen how Eagles have been successful (In envy), got bad, rebuilt and changed philosophies. And it all started with coaching and a cohesive FO.  Think about it, Reid made Alex Smith look good.  The success guys like Feeley, Garcia, Vick, Foles and now Wentz had can be attributed to stability.  They all had a very solid pass blocking OLs and a stable OC/front office, for the most part.  Mr. Beane please find the next Jason Peters (this one stings), John Runyan or Tra Thomas, so when you do find the QB to lead this team they are in a position to succeed.  Finding guys like Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, Cousins and Mahomes outside of the traditional top ten gives me hope.  In short, lets not be the Rams of 2011 and 2012 and hopefully they acquire some foundational players.       

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

Looking at the teams depth chart, I'm stating the obvious, but they're really thin in a number of key positions.  I attribute the run to playoffs having more to do with solid coaching, pride, and a dumb luck, than the overall talent on the roster.  All indications were that it was a tank year, like the 76ers, we were all to trust the process.  I give a lot of credit to the players, in not accepting losing as a forgone conclusion and over achieving.  I'm really impressed with what management has done with amassing draft capital.  Now they just can't blow it and draft an Okafor, let's find healthy versions of Simmons and Embiid.  We should take advantage of all the hype surrounding this QB class and get cornerstone pieces in place with the corresponding drop of other positions.  Draft BPA and don't get cute.  Two positions that make everyone around them better, OL and DL should be the focus, with skill position players on offense mixed in rounds 2 and 3.  It may not be sexy, but it's what will build sustained success.  This would potentially allow McCoy to put up one more monster year before Father Time comes a calling, and hopefully provide depth on DL helping the DBs and LBs.  This could be the start of dethroning the evil empire.  Let's see if this front office can help speed up sending BB and TB12 into the sunset.     

I apologize for the Philadelphia references but I've been here since the early 2000s and have seen how Eagles have been successful (In envy), got bad, rebuilt and changed philosophies. And it all started with coaching and a cohesive FO.  Think about it, Reid made Alex Smith look good.  The success guys like Feeley, Garcia, Vick, Foles and now Wentz had can be attributed to stability.  They all had a very solid pass blocking OLs and a stable OC/front office, for the most part.  Mr. Beane please find the next Jason Peters, John Runyan or Tra Thomas, so when you do find the QB to lead this team they are in a position to succeed.  Finding guys like Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, Cousins and Mahomes outside of the how about let's be the Rams of 2016, who traded up plenty to get Jared Goff as their franchise quarterback? top ten gives me hope.  In short, lets not be the Rams of 2011 and 2012 and hopefully they acquire some foundational players.       

Okay, let's be the Rams of 2016 who traded up plenty to get the number one pick, Jared Goff their franchise quarterback.

I could see the draft starting out with a QB frenzy:

1)      Cleveland – Darnold

2)      Giants -  S Barkley

3)      Jets – Rosen

4)      Arizona – Mayfield

5)      Denver – Allen

Then we can take the best ILB available at 12 and then grab Mason Rudolph at 22.  

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloFan68 said:

3)      Jets – Rosen

5)      Denver – Allen

Then we can take the best ILB available at 12 and then grab Mason Rudolph at 22.  

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Reach! :sick:

• Like (+1) 3

Ok, who's our Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald, Andrew Whitworth?  Not mentioning the other defensive players that were just traded, and skill position players that made Goff look good, the Bills roster is very thin.  I'm also under the opinion that coach made Goff look really good.  He called everything and gave Goff very little leeway.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

3)      Jets – Rosen

5)      Denver – Allen

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

With the amount of picks Buffalo can and will throw at NYG imo there is no way you stay at 2 unless you pick a Qb.  IMO Buffalo will throw 3 first a second and third.  You dont turn that down for a RB or DE.  The only way they stay at 2 is if they want the Qb that is on the board.  With Beane and Gettlemans connection I worry that they target the same guy.  NYG could still get Davenport at 12 and Giese at 22 fill 2 needs and adding 2 more picks this year and a first next year they can use on Mannings replacement when fewer teams are in the market.  Buffalo worries about perception and I dont believe they make NYG the 3 first offer until they know who will be there at 2.  During the owners meeting I think they will have a strong Idea into what Cleveland will do and they will at that point make the offer to the Giants.  That allows the Giants to set up their board and figure out who they are targeting, with their 2 first, second, and third rounders. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Okay, let's be the Rams of 2016 who traded up plenty to get the number one pick, Jared Goff their franchise quarterback.

So who is that guy??  This year we have about 5 guys back in August who were all the next Jared Goff or better.  Now there a 5 guys all with question marks for different reasons.  Any of them could be him, but willing to bet at least two will be compared to Ryan Leaf in less than 5 years.

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

With the amount of picks Buffalo can and will throw at NYG imo there is no way you stay at 2 unless you pick a Qb.  IMO Buffalo will throw 3 first a second and third.  You dont turn that down for a RB or DE.  The only way they stay at 2 is if they want the Qb that is on the board.  With Beane and Gettlemans connection I worry that they target the same guy.  NYG could still get Davenport at 12 and Giese at 22 fill 2 needs and adding 2 more picks this year and a first next year they can use on Mannings replacement when fewer teams are in the market.  Buffalo worries about perception and I dont believe they make NYG the 3 first offer until they know who will be there at 2.  During the owners meeting I think they will have a strong Idea into what Cleveland will do and they will at that point make the offer to the Giants.  That allows the Giants to set up their board and figure out who they are targeting, with their 2 first, second, and third rounders. 

So, you move up, draft a QB with a very thin roster, and less then a stellar receiving group and a 29 yr old RB and an offensive line that's needs some fortification.

Then watch him fail to produce at the level of last years team, injuries occur and because we traded our draft capital we have diminished depth, finish 6-10 and in your scenario don't have our first pick in 2019.

Now, read my assessment and tell me the how yours will lead to improvement in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Great, we give the NYG the potential foundation to turnover that roster,  to win a couple more Lombardi trophies, while we suffer with a Leaf, Smith, Russell or worse.  Dramatic I know, but look at the QB track record here.  not quite Cleveland, but that's not saying much.  I want to give a kid the best shot possible and not have to have them carry a team before they're ready.  What Carroll did with Wilson should be a blue print.  That whole team carried them in their SB runs.  

4 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

So, you move up, draft a QB with a very thin roster, and less then a stellar receiving group and a 29 yr old RB and an offensive line that's needs some fortification.

Then watch him fail to produce at the level of last years team, injuries occur and because we traded our draft capital we have diminished depth, finish 6-10 and in your scenario don't have our first pick in 2019.

Now, read my assessment and tell me the how yours will lead to improvement in 2018.

You get a linebaker in rd 2 and a speed wr rd 3.  The rest of the picks fill out the roster.  QB is more important than any other hole.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

Great, we give the NYG the potential foundation to turnover that roster,  to win a couple more Lombardi trophies, while we suffer with a Leaf, Smith, Russell or worse.  Dramatic I know, but look at the QB track record here.  not quite Cleveland, but that's not saying much.  I want to give a kid the best shot possible and not have to have them carry a team before they're ready.  What Carroll did with Wilson should be a blue print.  That whole team carried them in their SB runs.  

In other words let’s keep doing what we’ve always done, avoid qb at all costs

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

I promise you Seattle would trade 3 firsts for Russel Wilson.  Comes down to who and what they want at Qb.  Personally, if I like a guy I would do that.  Buffalo still would have a 2nd and 3rd.  They also would have draft a caliber Qb with the potential that they have never had in my life time.  

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

In other words let’s keep doing what we’ve always done, avoid qb at all costs

The team is already not doing "what we've always done", and they aren't avoiding a QB at all costs. Not moving up <> avoiding a QB at all costs. 

43 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

3)      Jets – Rosen

5)      Denver – Allen

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

No

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I promise you Seattle would trade 3 firsts for Russel Wilson.  Comes down to who and what they want at Qb.  Personally, if I like a guy I would do that.  Buffalo still would have a 2nd and 3rd.  They also would have draft a caliber Qb with the potential that they have never had in my life time.  

A really bad example since Wilson was a third round pick.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Agreed.  Every decent QB would be worth multiple 1st Rd picks now...  The beauty is doing it organically and finding value where others couldn't see it, or didn't have the opportunity to capitalize.  

11 minutes ago, chris heff said:

No its not that its point.  They got Russell Wilson in the third.  If they knew he was going to be that good they would have trade up for him like Washington did for RG3.  Because Brees went the end of the first, Wilson went rd 3, and Brady was drafted in the 6th doesnt mean buffalo should target there franchise QB in the middle rounds.  The Seahawks gave Flynn a Brock Oswiller type deal and had Tavaris Jackson on a Tyrod Taylor type deal.  Wilson wasnt expected to play.  They got lucky.

I don't think the Process envisions a complete roster for 2018.  They will rightly go get the potential franchise qb.  They will still have a second and third to address crucial needs.  Lots of FA money next year.  What won't be available in 2019?  Numerous first round qb prospects.

Nobody should give a flying @#*$ about building the roster

The Bills have had a decent roster for the past 5 years and have been mediocre because the most important position hasn't been given the proper amount of attention by the organization

Giving up giant chunks of draft capital for a fairly decent chance of getting a franchise QB is the right move