Was breaking the drought worth it?

Was breaking the playoff drought worth it considering how much draft capital we nee to burn now to get our QB of choice?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Breaking the drought will end up being very expensive in terms of draft picks if we do trade up. Should we have tanked instead?

• Was totally worth it to break the drought.
    • Not worth it, we could have vastly improved whole team and gotten our QB if we tanked.

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

What I put stock into is actually being in position to draft the QB and not hope that a bounty of picks is enough to do just that. Had we actually stunk last year, we may have been able to draft another blue chipper with a QB means:

QB+ blue chipper > just QB

Fact of the matter is, the team is being torn down and Hughes & Shady will be moved soon, just as TT and Glenn were. I would have done it all in one shot last year, because you knew Allen was staying, plus you knew Darnold & Rosen were all in the draft this year. So yes, I would have made those moves last year as well...The half measures keep you in the mid round purgatory we have been in for 20+ years...stupid idea

Right. Huge roster turnover, cap relief, aquiring plenty of picks to make a move and still get a couple of solid players in the draft, all while still making the playoffs with a first year staff is a “stupid idea”. EXACTLY like the last 20 years. Silly me. 

Why havnt I realized the only way to do this is to tank. I think I’m coming around though. 

SMH

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. Huge roster turnover, cap relief, aquiring plenty of picks to make a move and still get a couple of solid players in the draft, all while still making the playoffs with a first year staff is a “stupid idea”. EXACTLY like the last 20 years. Silly me. 

Why havnt I realized the only way to do this is to tank. I think I’m coming around though. 

SMH

People are in love with the Browns picks. They are turning into green eyed Browns monsters I tell you!! Look at these picks omg #1 and #4 Superbowl Brownies!!!

Edited by Lfod

We did the right thing by keeping McCoy and Hughes etc last year. Coach McDermott wants to build a culture of winning. You build culture of winning by winning.  Not by losing. The team learned to win. Several games the team came together to win late that recent teams would have figured out new ways to lose. Tampa Bay and Snow Bowl for example.  That carries over.

New guys coming in this year are coming into a winning program with high hopes and expectations.

Be great to grab that top QB sure. But !@#$ losing. Maybe we get a good guy in draft or AJ works out. Stay the course. Trust the process. Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

SMH

I'm not an advocate of the tank. 

Just wondering if there's an NFL franchise that turned around their fortunes by tanking. The Colts and Luck comes to mind, but he hasn't won a thing. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not an advocate of the tank. 

Just wondering if there's an NFL franchise that turned around their fortunes by tanking. The Colts and Luck comes to mind, but he hasn't won a thing. 

There are all different types of approaches to use as good examples on how teams turned things around. Unfortunately 23 poor souls out of the hundreds of people on this board can’t seem to grasp that concept. 

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

SMH

Without a QB, it is all shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic...

Only made the playoffs because the Ravens D blew coverage on that pass. Being in and quickly out in the playoffs was, yes so great for this team long-term.

Drafting solid players in the draft does nothing for you without the QB. Keeps you exactly where we have been, good enough to win a few games, not bad enough to tank for blue chip QB prospects. Doesn't matter who your HC is; he is this guy

giphy.gif

Browns are much further along than us. Embrace the tear down, dump the players who aren't part of the long-term, get picks, take the cap hit, suck and get high picks in a QB rich draft. Browns grabbed a #1 Pass Rusher last year, are going to draft the top QB Darnold this year and via their trade last year, most likely be able to draft barkely or drop down a few spots to grab some DB help and can easily score another RB other than Barkley (if they chose) in an RB rich draft as well. Next year they will be better than us and most certainly will in 2020....Yeah last season was worth it...

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We did the right thing by keeping McCoy and Hughes etc last year. Coach McDermott wants to build a culture of winning. You build culture of winning by winning.  Not by losing. The team learned to win. Several games the team came together to win late that recent teams would have figured out new ways to lose. Tampa Bay and Snow Bowl for example.  That carries over.

New guys coming in this year are coming into a winning program with high hopes and expectations.

Be great to grab that top QB sure. But !@#$ losing. Maybe we get a good guy in draft or AJ works out. Stay the course. Trust the process. Go Bills.

With the exception of White, Hyde & Poyer (possibly Milanno) the team he is establishing said culture with will be turned over going into next offseason...Stop being cute and just get the damn QB. Also the damn QB is not Jackson, Rudolph, Foles, Faulk, etc...

This is not a winning program, they sneaked into the playoffs because Balt's D stunk at the end of the game...newsflash - this year's bills team will be worse than last years...

Aj works out, just like all of the other trash heap QBs that have come through here. Do you honestly think that the Bills outsmarted all of the other QB needs teams this off season by grabbing the last man standing? :lol:<_<

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Without a QB, it is all shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic...

Only made the playoffs because the Ravens D blew coverage on that pass. Being in and quickly out in the playoffs was, yes so great for this team long-term.

Drafting solid players in the draft does nothing for you without the QB. Keeps you exactly where we have been, good enough to win a few games, not bad enough to tank for blue chip QB prospects. Doesn't matter who your HC is; he is this guy

giphy.gif

Browns are much further along than us. Embrace the tear down, dump the players who aren't part of the long-term, get picks, take the cap hit, suck and get high picks in a QB rich draft. Browns grabbed a #1 Pass Rusher last year, are going to draft the top QB Darnold this year and via their trade last year, most likely be able to draft barkely or drop down a few spots to grab some DB help and can easily score another RB other than Barkley (if they chose) in an RB rich draft as well. Next year they will be better than us and most certainly will in 2020....Yeah last season was worth it...

You literally failed to acknowledge the fact that we ar very likely going to make a move to get a blue chip qb this year in the name of proving a lame point about tanking. Solid move, bro. 

And then there came the dumb-*** ravens comment. Bills finished the season 4-2 and did what they needed to over 16 games. Ravens didn’t. Maybe we should thank the Steelers for beating them by a point a month earlier too. Or any other loss for that matter. It’s sad the things people will say in order to prove bad points.   Don’t people understand how lame they look when they say things like you just said there? 

And as for the browns? What is picking number one gonna have to do with them being better than us next year? Jackson has been very vocal that Taylor is the starter for next season. And you do understand there is more than one qb in this draft right? 

I gotta go to bed. Have a nice evening Mr. Reed83

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yep. And of course I enjoyed it when we made it. By then it was too late. Beane didn't finish what he started in the preseason. All he had to do was trade Tyrod and Shady, and while he was at it Glenn and maybe Hughes. The rest would have worked itself out. But too late now. It was fun to break the drought but I would have much preferred having a top 5 pick, getting a franchise QB, and keeping all of our draft capital

This might be the dumbest post I’ve seen on this board. And that says a lot. 

Yes. Kyle Williams being rewarded for years of hard work, his reaction...pretty much that whole day/night....all the reaction videos, the universal jubilation of Bills fans...the fact that we no longer see the name "Buffalo Bills" listed in the "longest playoff drought" graphic.

In every way, shape, and form...it was worth it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

There are all different types of approaches to use as good examples on how teams turned things around. Unfortunately 23 poor souls out of the hundreds of people on this board can’t seem to grasp that concept. 

Making the playoffs for the first time in 17 years seems like a reasonable first step towards turning things around to me.

The front office has done an excellent job positioning the Bills to grab a QB despite making the playoffs. I'll admit that  I want the splashy trade-up to get the can't miss prospect (as if that exists!), but if that's not available, on to plan B!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

exception of White, Hyde & Poyer (possibly Milanno) the team he is establishing said culture with will be turned over going into next offseason...Stop being cute and just get the damn QB. Also the damn QB is not Jackson, Rudolph, Foles, Faulk, etc...

This is not a winning program, they sneaked into the playoffs because Balt's D stunk at the end of the game...newsflash - this year's bills team will be worse than last years...

There will be a lot more than those guys left. Kyle, McCoy, Clay, OLeary, KB, Richie, Cadet, and a lot of turn over. They're gonna be even n hungrier this year because they know they CAN win 

Fake Newsflash. Why don't we wait to see what happens in the rest of the draft and FA at least before making any rash predictions? 

"Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." --Vince Lombardi

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

There will be a lot more than those guys left. Kyle, McCoy, Clay, OLeary, KB, Richie, Cadet, and a lot of turn over. They're gonna be even n hungrier this year because they know they CAN win 

Fake Newsflash. Why don't we wait to see what happens in the rest of the draft and FA at least before making any rash predictions? 

"Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." --Vince Lombardi

1.) Look I love Kyle, but he is done

2.) Clay was a waste of money

3.) Richie I like as well, but he is what 34/35? Also redid his contract to not get cut. A 1 yr deal

4.) Cadet - dime a dozen RB

5.) O'Leary has 2 things going for him - he doesn't wear gloves and is somehow related to Jack Nicklaus

6.) KB - last year of his deal and twice injured leg - meh can be replaced

7.) An RB who I love who is on the wrong side of 30 and will not be here or the same player when this team is ready to take a step forward and contend

8.) Good chance the team is a bit worse off. We were very lucky with all of the turnovers to get some early season wins. They did overachieve last year. See the 2016 Phins, we were them...

9.) FA - big fan of it here so far!

10.) As much as I want to give up the farm to move the #2 (Browns are not moving from 1 - ever), I'm not convinced that a.) the Giants will trade or b.) Beane has the balls to do it C.) Lamar Jackson & mason Rudolph are not that answers D.) AJ is nothing sorry, he just isn't... E.) For good measure, Foles is awful as well

Today's NFL is all about the QB, every other position is significantly downgraded...

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

This might be the dumbest post I’ve seen on this board. And that says a lot. 

1. Nobody asked you

2. Respect fellow posters enough to have a meaningful conversation to explore your difference of opinion

You disagree. How so?

• Like (+1) 1

Who are the 11% who voted no?  The point of football is giving your team a chance to win the championship.  Last year we had a chance.  One TD away from a win in the Jacksonville game.  A little more talent and we are right where we need to be.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuckeyeBill said:

Who are the 11% who voted no?  The point of football is giving your team a chance to win the championship.  Last year we had a chance.  One TD away from a win in the Jacksonville game.  A little more talent and we are right where we need to be.

:blink::lol: This team is so far away from winning a championship. We are an aging team with a million holes; we need more than a little talent - we need a whole lot at the QB position.

Also TT is hot garbage when the game is on the line. There was no chance last year or this year or most likely next year....

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, The Tomcat said:

Absolutely.  The price for making the playoffs was Cordy Glenn.  Thats what it cost to get up to 12 which is pretty close where we would of been an what 7-9sh?

that’s actually a great way of looking at it

53 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

:blink::lol: This team is so far away from winning a championship. We are an aging team with a million holes; we need more than a little talent - we need a whole lot at the QB position.

Also TT is hot garbage when the game is on the line. There was no chance last year or this year or most likely next year....

This may be true , but illustrates that the poll question is actually inane. Making the playoffs " worth it"? What exactly is " it"? The Bills made few moves last offseason that pointed to an all out push to win. Trading away talent, purging players and starting a proven mediocrity at QB ? Most projected the Bills to win 4 or 5 games. 

No coach assembles a staff and implements systems/ ways of doing things in order to lose. Some fans are looking at the Browns as a type of blueprint to follow. They are in their current position ( draft spot, picks etc) because of a putrid GM and horrible management. John Dorsey is in a good spot to build them into a winner, but the idea that they are just on the next step of a well thought out ( years long ) roadmap to success is laughable. 

Edited by Boatdrinks