Mandela Effect

100DollarBills

18 minutes ago, section122 said:

No, dude, that is the weed.  Seriously lay off of it. :nana:

I’m sure it has added to my mindset, but honestly this phenomenon is extremely difficult for me to even explain. I know what I remember, but obviously current reality doesn’t jive with others or myselves alternate memories. 

22 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I’m sure it has added to my mindset, but honestly this phenomenon is extremely difficult for me to even explain. I know what I remember, but obviously current reality doesn’t jive with others or myselves alternate memories. 

Okay I don't tell this story often but...

I watched the matrix a lot in college.  Like a lot a lot.  I had a VCR and would put that tape on to fall asleep.  At one point I thought hmmm what if the matrix is real and this is the way of them communicating it.  

What is more likely?  The matrix is real or I got way too high that night?

Earlier you even listed out possible reasons, get to #5 (the actual real reason) and immediately discount it.  Why do thousands of people remember it that way?  Confabulation for many and dismembering for others.  Remember the old Carlin joke.  Think of how stupid the average person is then realize that half the population is dumber than that.

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

Okay I don't tell this story often but...

I watched the matrix a lot in college.  Like a lot a lot.  I had a VCR and would put that tape on to fall asleep.  At one point I thought hmmm what if the matrix is real and this is the way of them communicating it.  

What is more likely?  The matrix is real or I got way too high that night?

Earlier you even listed out possible reasons, get to #5 (the actual real reason) and immediately discount it.  Why do thousands of people remember it that way?  Confabulation for many and dismembering for others.  Remember the old Carlin joke.  Think of how stupid the average person is then realize that half the population is dumber than that.

If you watched the Matrix, do you remember a scene where agent Smith says Mr. Anderson, we’ve been expecting you. Or when Morpheus tells Neo, what if everything he knew was a lie. But in this reality, those lines were never said. 

15 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Our dreams are just us experiencing our alternate realities, and our awake time is one of the dreams experienced by our alternates.

Then I missed a mortgage payment and reality tuned in real quick 

• Haha (+1) 1

A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, "plate," or "shrimp," or "plate o' shrimp" out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.

This whole thing reminds me of some of the parents my wife runs into as a teacher.  No matter how many mistakes the kid makes, the parents will always deny it and argue that the kid was right.  Their little angel can never be wrong.  It's not possible.  They can ignore reality all they want, that's fine.  But it will never change the fact that their kid is an f'n moron.

Edited by shrader

So I remember, clear as day. I was about 4-5 years old. My parents took me to the carnival at the Southgate Plaza in West Seneca. There was a clown show, that relied on a lot of audience participation. I was picked out of the crowd to be the "strong man." They put me in a caveman type jacket, and I lifted an inflatable dumbbell over my head. Then they picked my dad out of the crowd, and put him in a Bill Clinton mask (who was president at the time),  and had him lead a small parade of all of the kids around the stage. Neither of my parents have any recollection of any of this happening. But I know it wasn't a dream. 

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

So I remember, clear as day. I was about 4-5 years old. My parents took me to the carnival at the Southgate Plaza in West Seneca. There was a clown show, that relied on a lot of audience participation. I was picked out of the crowd to be the "strong man." They put me in a caveman type jacket, and I lifted an inflatable dumbbell over my head. Then they picked my dad out of the crowd, and put him in a Bill Clinton mask (who was president at the time),  and had him lead a small parade of all of the kids around the stage. Neither of my parents have any recollection of any of this happening. But I know it wasn't a dream. 

my uncle put up the White Album pictures with Ringo and George mixed up from the accepted order, i thought the George pic was Ringo for many years, didn't matter much compared to the iconic John pic

20 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

If you watched the Matrix, do you remember a scene where agent Smith says Mr. Anderson, we’ve been expecting you. Or when Morpheus tells Neo, what if everything he knew was a lie. But in this reality, those lines were never said. 

The Agent Smith line? No I don't remember that

The Morpheus one?  Eh something like that but I haven't watched the movie in so long I wouldn't pretend to have it memorized.  I don't remember the movie verbatim.

I don't really give the Mandela effect much credence.  What I do find fascinating is that people think it is more likely that there are multiple realities than it is that they simply remember incorrectly.  That is the real mind boggling thing here.  

On 12/20/2018 at 11:50 AM, section122 said:

The Morpheus one?  Eh something like that but I haven't watched the movie in so long I wouldn't pretend to have it memorized.  I don't remember the movie verbatim.

I don't really give the Mandela effect much credence.  What I do find fascinating is that people think it is more likely that there are multiple realities than it is that they simply remember incorrectly.  That is the real mind boggling thing here.  

Well I distinctly remember those lines, and so do thousands of other people. Something just isn’t right. Even digitally editing out the lines don’t make sense, because even older dvds don’t contain the lines. Either false memories were implanted into people’s mind, or people experienced a slightly different reality. At this point I’m thinking people are being exposed to memory implantation technology via transmission towers. 

For some reason I have a lot of trouble grasping that Led Zeppelin I to IV had all been released by November 1971.  Can’t fit this into my chronology of rock and pop music history thinking....  that’s way too early....

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

For some reason I have a lot of trouble grasping that Led Zeppelin I to IV had all been released by November 1971.  Can’t fit this into my chronology of rock and pop music history thinking....  that’s way too early....

My family moved from Florida to Massachusetts in 1971 when I was between 8th and 9th grade.  My life is broken up into distinct segments as a result of that move. I can assure you that I remember the Led Zeppelin albums when I was in Florida. I had a friend whose father was into rock music, and those albums were among the ones that would often be playing when I went over to his house.  His mother, on the other hand, would play Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams.  Quite a musical education for a junior high kid. 

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My family moved from Florida to Massachusetts in 1971 when I was between 8th and 9th grade.  My life is broken up into distinct segments as a result of that move. I can assure you that I remember the Led Zeppelin albums when I was in Florida. I had a friend whose father was into rock music, and those albums were among the ones that would often be playing when I went over to his house.  His mother, on the other hand, would play Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams.  Quite a musical education for a junior high kid. 

very good, I had those friends who played music I didn’t buy, very grateful 

I was 5 in 1971 and came to enjoy LZ a few years later. 

For them to release these 4 in so short a time span, basically on their own for their genre, is mind boggling.

8 hours ago, /dev/null said:

And Shoutbox wasn't so obtrusive on mobile platforms

I'm usually on here on my desktop, and I didn't even know there was a shoutbox for the last few years, and now I see it again.  Has it been here all the time?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/20/2018 at 2:50 PM, section122 said:

There is unquestionably a lot of faulty memories to blame for much of the Mandela Effect "proofs" - which is fascinating in and of itself. Just from a scientific theory perspective, we almost certainly live in a multiverse, with multiple realities and dimensions existing one on top of the other simultaneously. How much of that we can physically perceive? Little to none. But the chances are they exist all the same. 

Image result for that's just science gif

(cue DC's response/laughter)

I'm sure it's in here somewhere. Did quick skim but didn't see it.  

Queens "we are the champions". Listened to it 3 times on different sites and I swear the song ended with "of the world". It didn't. 

Played it in in car coming home from bills game and everyone in the car sang "of the world" besides queen. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

14 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Queens "we are the champions". Listened to it 3 times on different sites and I swear the song ended with "of the world". It didn't. 

Played it in in car coming home from bills game and everyone in the car sang "of the world" besides queen. 

I’m sure both versions are out there. considering there’s a single and album version and official video and live clips to find one with it that sticks with you.

Irritating that they’ve cut the final verse of U2’s New Years Day, about the golden age, on most radio or public play.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I’m sure both versions are out there. considering there’s a single and album version and official video and live clips to find one with it that sticks with you.

Irritating that they’ve cut the final verse of U2’s New Years Day, about the golden age, on most radio or public play.

Was looking at the comments on the video. I guess they said it sometimes during the live shows but didn't include it in the album. Also at the end of mighty ducks they play the song and it ends with "of the world" 

27 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

That's not the "Mandela Effect."  That's the "Being Wrong" effect.

38 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's not the "Mandela Effect."  That's the "Being Wrong" effect.

Actually I was right. They do say it. Just not everytime.  So not a Mandela effect.

Like row_33 said, there are many versions of the song. 

Is this my opportunity to call you an idiot? Lol

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Found proof

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

There is unquestionably a lot of faulty memories to blame for much of the Mandela Effect "proofs" - which is fascinating in and of itself. Just from a scientific theory perspective, we almost certainly live in a multiverse, with multiple realities and dimensions existing one on top of the other simultaneously. How much of that we can physically perceive? Little to none. But the chances are they exist all the same. 

Image result for that's just science gif

(cue DC's response/laughter)

One of life's great mysteries for sure but as I posited earlier, even if it is happening but we can't tell that it is happening, does it matter?  Kind of like "if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?"  I always struggled with these because I always defaulted to "does it matter?"  Knowing how faulty every single person's memory is, and knowing that there are 7 billion plus people, tells me that a few thousand people remembering something one way is a statistically very small number.  It leads me to believe that confabulation or straight mis-remembering (thanks Roger Clemens) is what causes the supposed mandela effect and that people's brains being similar make similar connections.  It blew my young mind when a teacher told me even if you were 1 in a million that means there are 330 people like you in America.  "Thousands of people" even tens of thousands is still a statistically small amount of our population.  It isn't hard to imagine 10% of people getting something wrong imo.

On the video for Van Halen's Jump, DLR lets out a primal yell just before the close-out, this is not on the recorded song.

Having watched the video probably 200 times and heard the song 50, I hear the yell each time no matter what.

Another example is receiving a copy of the Blue Album set by The Beatles, which had pops and hisses.  Even as a sane Beatles nut, this is the only recording I have owned of Old Brown Shoe, for which the two pops in the damaged record are etched permanently in my mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.