Sal C’s “Dear Browns fans....” about Tyrod Taylor

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I still have a very high opinion of TT and I DO think he is a starting QB in the NFL....he is not a franchise guy.....he is a mid level starting QB that needs a ton of help in order to get it done....just like every other mid level starting QB.

I think the bills wanna take their stab this year and finding better.  I hope they get it.

Exactly.

You have a higher opinion of him unlike some others, but you understand he’s not a franchise guy.

Thats exactly what I’m trying to say and I think all of us whether we think he’s average or mediocre or awful , we all can agree he’s not a franchise guy and it’s time to move on.

Edited by billsfan11

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It was a combonation of that and a "certain few" and how they conducted themselves when he had a solid game (and yes he had those)

DIssappearing while it was happening

Returning when the euphoria of the a win was over to start the bashing up again

Or when we lost but Tyrod played sold (and yes it did happen) and in some way shape or form blame it on the qb

Get this straight my beloved fellow fans.....we can have Tom Brady behind center....if the rest of this team does not do its part we will still lose games......to blame everything on one position because that is the easiest thing to do is beyond stupid

Having said that.....he did not turn the corner.....the crit of him on missing open receivers....not throwing receiver open.....taking unecessary sacks.....not making the big throws when the game was on the line.......all valid.....and it is time to move on.

I didn't like Tyrod and I am very glad he is playing elsewhere now.

That being said I know he got blamed for things that were not his fault and by people who should know better. Like in the press.

A good example is Tyrod's last play as a Bill. Tyrod did not see the wide open receiver they said. 

I could see him on open on TV and on the film, but I was looking down from the sky. From Tyrod's point of view there were 2 linemen directly between him and the open guy and he just couldn't see the guy.

Then they said he made a bad choice to try and pick up the first himself.  But he made the right choice he would have made it except for 2 things.

One is he got facemasked when he started to run. This was not noticed.

The other is our guard Miller had actually pancaked his man. Which is what Tyrod saw. Then Miller got up, off of the top of his man who he had pinned to the ground, and that man then went and pile drived Tyrod into the turf and ended his season.

If Miller had not done that, Tyrod would have made it even with the facemask.

None of that was his fault but he got totally blamed for it by everybody.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This Classic, it would be me and Transplant going back and forth.

YOU: “I can’t believe how many wide-open receivers Tyrod Taylor didn’t see or just refused to throw to. That cost us the game.”

FRIEND: “Dude, what are you talking about? He’s the only reason we were even in this game in the first place. He should have been sacked 10 times.”

YOU: “Umm, they had 150 yards passing. How do you expect to win like that in 2018? It’s a passing league.”

FRIEND: “Whatever, man. Guy didn’t turn the ball over at all. Maybe someone else on the offense could make a play once in a while?!”

YOU: “Do you even watch football, bro? How are they supposed to make a play if the damn quarterback won’t even get the ball to them? The wideouts had three total catches! Ridiculous.”

FRIEND: “Haha, ok, ‘Coach’ (in a totally snarky voice). You’re so smart maybe you should design an offense around his skill set, since Todd Haley clearly isn’t doing that.”

YOU: “So it’s everyone’s fault except the quarterback! Got it.”

FRIEND: “What do you want, man? Taylor is the best quarterback this organization has had since we came back in the league in 1999.”

YOU: “Right, because Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb are such high bars to attain. I seriously can’t believe how dumb you are. By the way, I’m done. Not going to the game with you next week. I can’t stand to watch this 1970s passing attack anymore.”

FRIEND: “Cool. Sit home with your miserable self and play Madden. It’s so much easier that way.”

YOU: “Shut up, dude.”

FRIEND: “Screw you. Don’t tell me to shut up.”

**Fight ensues**

3 hours ago, grb said:

Two points :

• I'm amazed at people still fuming over Taylor's short, brief comment about black quarterbacks - made, of course, weeks before the bizarre & moronic decision to bench him for Peterman (a situation which Taylor handled with class). As for Taylor's comments, I personally think they're correct, that black QBs do have a smaller margin for error (at least to a degree) and are on a shorter leash. But even if I decide that's wrong - or disagree with Taylor over the extent - I would still find the anger over the comments strange. The man was in Buffalo for three years and represented the city extremely well, and yet people rage over that? Huh.
  • As for Taylor never "turning the corner", really? Going from the end of '15 season, the Bills organization has dumped Hogan, dumped Goodwin, dumped Watkins, dumped Gillislee, dumped Woods, gave up on Karlos and Percy, saw their two main receivers miss well over half of '16 injured, saw their only two decent receivers play all of '17 injured, saw their o-line go from spotty to bad in pass protection, saw their o-line go from premier to so-so in the running game. That last development followed another useless scheme change, which dropped the Bills out of a league-leading running game. So Taylor never "turned the corner"? Go figure.

Here's what I know : During his Bills career, Taylor has had a pieced-together mess for receivers except the fifteen games of '15-'16 when he had Watkins and Woods on the field. That's it : Taylor, Watkins, and Woods played together just fifteen games over two years. 

When that happened, this occurred : 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INT

I'm not going to go back and forth with you here. I will just correct something you wrote that is wrong, and be done.

It was a featured article in The Buffalo News. It wasn't a short brief comment.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Is it though?  I have repeatedly heard certain TT detractors talk about nothing but the jags playoff loss when talking about TT....nothing to do with the fact that they actually made the playoffs.....

I mean....what is done is done and I agree with the bills mgt decision to move on but there are two sides to this arguement.

I don’t disagree with all of Badol’s points, just the Brady one, and wanted to bust his balls about it a little.

Tyrod took the Bills as far as he was capable. As a Bills fan, it’s difficult for many to be objective about Tyrod because we can be too emotionally invested - either in the team or our own opinions.

To me, it was clear Tyrod had maxed out his potential to lead the Bills.  But clearly he has talent - just not enough to lead a quasi-talented team around him to the Super Bowl.

Tyrod is equally thrilling and frustrating to watch. I’m grateful for his time here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

it's almost like some here have never seen an all-22 film of receivers running wide open, repeatedly.

the blind leading the blind???

The last time that happened with Josh Gordon he stopped coming to practice and purposely ran the wrong routes in games to force picks and get the QB benched. 

3 hours ago, grb said:

Two points :

• I'm amazed at people still fuming over Taylor's short, brief comment about black quarterbacks - made, of course, weeks before the bizarre & moronic decision to bench him for Peterman (a situation which Taylor handled with class). As for Taylor's comments, I personally think they're correct, that black QBs do have a smaller margin for error (at least to a degree) and are on a shorter leash. But even if I decide that's wrong - or disagree with Taylor over the extent - I would still find the anger over the comments strange. The man was in Buffalo for three years and represented the city extremely well, and yet people rage over that? Huh.
  • As for Taylor never "turning the corner", really? Going from the end of '15 season, the Bills organization has dumped Hogan, dumped Goodwin, dumped Watkins, dumped Gillislee, dumped Woods, gave up on Karlos and Percy, saw their two main receivers miss well over half of '16 injured, saw their only two decent receivers play all of '17 injured, saw their o-line go from spotty to bad in pass protection, saw their o-line go from premier to so-so in the running game. That last development followed another useless scheme change, which dropped the Bills out of a league-leading running game. So Taylor never "turned the corner"? Go figure.

Here's what I know : During his Bills career, Taylor has had a pieced-together mess for receivers except the fifteen games of '15-'16 when he had Watkins and Woods on the field. That's it : Taylor, Watkins, and Woods played together just fifteen games over two years. 

Good post...and I'm someone who's glad the Bills moved on from Taylor.

Tyrod has/will have a nice pool of offensive talent around him in Cleveland, with the coaches to make it all work. 

We'll see if those stats hold up.

Edited by Chicken Boo

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Kinda reminds me how foxnews still has a Hillary article every other day.  

stop making sense dude.  these mental baskets will gang up on you like facebook trolls. 

Tyrod deserves better than Buffalo fans.  May he find some peace in CLE. 

Sal totally embarrassed himself this year with his Tyrophobia.

He got his wish with Peterman...........and with a QUICKNESS his credibility as "the coach" got splattered that day in LA........and being THAT wrong really sticks in his craw............as it does with a whole bunch of idiots on this board.

Tell it like it is Sal..........the HC passed on a potential franchise QB in round 1 last spring.......knowing TT's limitations........and didn't put TT into position to succeed at what he CAN do well.

Choices were made well above the head of TT which lead to the product you saw on the field.

Why don't you call McD out if you are so upset with what lead to the Bills first playoff appearance this century?

I think we know the answer to that.........doesn't want to lose his jock-sniffing radio sideline reporter gig. 

If I am a player in that locker room who liked TT.........and there are a lot of them..........I'd be highly offended by that unnecessary shot from a guy who has been given a whole lotta' access in recent years.........leave that stuff for the guy who is hired to do it......Jerry Sullivan. :thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The last time that happened with Josh Gordon he stopped coming to practice and purposely ran the wrong routes in games to force picks and get the QB benched. 

If he purposefully ran wrong routes wouldn't the coaches know it wasn't the QB's fault?

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So can we put you on record that TT is not a fit with Josh Gordon?B-)

C'mon now........TT and JG are gonna' be fast friends if JG can get himself on the field...........as Steve Smith would say......"why even put that out there?":lol:

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Yours are the only posts I can guess the author without even reading them.  The emojis give it away. 

That being said, comparing Brady’s inability to score on his last two drives in the Super Bowl to Tyrod’s lack of comeback drives is utterly ridiculous.   Step it up.  

Here ya' go......emoji's off.

It's all entertainment to me.........the emoji's are there because I have been accused of being "snarky"...........since I've incorporated them I've found people are less injured by them.

But always good to hear from newbies.

The Brady example was there to show just HOW EASY it is to take things out of perspective.........because generally speaking........teams with leads late in games usually win.........it's not a given that a good QB will overcome even a small deficit.

What was that Aaron Rodgers stat?  Something like a 1-30 record when trailing by 1 point or more to start the 4th quarter to a team with a winning record?

What that tells you is that when playing decent teams it's very difficult to come from behind in the 4th quarter.

Now put that in the context of Tyrod in Buffalo.    Who are all the lesser teams that he couldn't overcome in 4th quarters?

Part of the reason the outside perception that "Tyrod is terrible in the clutch" doesn't fly with league observers is because people EXPECT you to lose on the road against a superior Carolina team.........they aren't surprised when the Bills lose to better or more talented teams.

And then they see TT go on the road and QB his team to victory over much better teams than them..........like Atlanta and KC.

It just boils down to a lack of perspective from certain Bills fans and myopic observers.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This dude is every bit as good a football analyst as he was a Buffalo Bills player. I wipe my butt with his s*** articles and crap takes. 

4 hours ago, grb said:

Two points :

Badlands is dead wrong on the assertion that people were trying to defend their opinion that TT would "turn the corner".

This is a common myth perpetuated by Tyrophobes to justify their persistently loud complaining (which did them no good at all because the new regime kept TT in 2017:lol:).

I saw NOBODY on here the past couple of years who thought TT was going to become an elite/franchise QB.

16 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

This dude is every bit as good a football analyst as he was a Buffalo Bills player. I wipe my butt with his s*** articles and crap takes. 

He didn't equate Taylor to Rodgers and Brady.

I think the Browns should absolutely take a QB with one of their first two picks...............but I will say this:

Barkley at RB

Gordon, Coleman and T Pryor outside the numbers and Landry in the slot.

Potentially great scenario for TT.

My 2015 comparison for how to maximize TT was do something like what Dennis Green did in Minnesota with Cunningham and Culpepper.

People forget that the 1998 Vikings were the highest scoring offense in NFL history until TB's 18-1 Pats team.........or that Culpepper once threw for 39 TD's with that talent.

Long term you need a franchise QB but offensive success is not only for teams with franchise QB's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

This board did vote Sal as their favorite local sportswriter. I tweeted that to him a while back, he was unaware (of the contest) but he knew of TBD and was stoked to hear that we voted him as the top guy. 

He's a good, fair writer/reporter. This article accurately sums up how Bills fans felt about Tyrod during his time here. 

IMO, Tyrod is a consummate professional. Bills weren't all that good to him last season and he was still first in/last out. He most certainly has the work ethic to succeed in the most ideal circumstances (i.e. a super talented team around him) which isn't Cleveland but I'll still check in on how he does this season from time to time. 

Edited by blacklabel

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

How do we know that was anything purposeful Gordon did, as opposed to just f*cking up because he was drunk and on drugs?