Final QB rankings

billspro

These are my own rankings and will be different from the mainstream media. All of my top 8 have some starter qualities and have a chance of being a starting QB in the NFL imo. 

After watching 5+ games on the top 10 QB prospects here is how I would rank them:

1) Sam Darnold (Grade 87, top ten prospect)

- Pros: accuracy, progression ability, ability to extend plays, pocket presence, mobility, clutch, leader, qb persona, arm strength, winner, can make throws in tight windows, size

- Cons: turnovers, unusual delivery, sometimes fooled by coverages, not always consistent with deep ball

2) Josh Rosen (Grade 85, top ten prospect)

- Pros: Accuracy at all three levels, great understanding of the game, progression ability, pocket presence, arm strength, ability to throw in tight windows, intelligent, size, quick release

- Cons: Durability, few head scratching turnovers, mobility

3) Baker Mayfield (Grade 81, 1st round prospect)

- Pros: deadly short and intermediate accuracy, clutch, creates energy, leader, winner, arm strength, mobility, moves around pocket well, progression ability, senior 

-Cons: size, sometimes misses throwing lanes, size sometimes limits him from stepping up in the pocket, inconsistent deep ball accuracy, occasionally throws late b/c of big arm

4) Mike White (Grade 79, 2nd round prospect)

-Pros: Accuracy at all three levels, arm strength, progression ability, throws with anticipation, shows ability to step up in the pocket, senior, size

- Cons: Will have to master moving around the pocket because of very limited mobility, sometimes holds the ball too long, takes sacks too often

5) Mason Rudolph (Grade 78, 2nd round prospect)

- Pros: Accuracy, progression ability, pocket presence, senior, QB persona, size

- Cons: Mobility, arm strength 

6) Josh Allen (Grade 77, 2nd round prospect)

-Pros: Elite arm strength, makes wow throws with arm strength and accuracy that only he can make, tough, competitive, mobility, size, may have arm talent to overcome deficiencies 

-Cons: Does not seem to process the game, misses open WRs, drops eyes to early and runs, misses routine throws, accuracy declines after 1st read, poor statistics

7) Lamar Jackson (Grade 76, 3rd round prospect)

- Pros: Elite running ability, quick release, makes wow plays every game, show ability to go through progressions, escapability, extends plays

-Cons: Very inconsistent accuracy, lots of over throws on tape, ugly turnovers

8) Logan Woodside (Grade 73, 4th-5th round prospect)

-Pros: Senior, unmatchable work ethic, football intelligence, quick processor, accurate at all three levels, raises level of play of his teammates, quick release, progression ability, pocket presence

- Cons: may not have enough arm strength to be NFL starter, size

Other QBs that will likely be drafted late in the draft (I consider them developmental back ups): Lauletta, Falk, Benkert, Litton

Edited by billspro

6 hours ago, billspro said:

These are my own rankings and will be different from the mainstream media. All of my top 8 have some starter qualities and have a chance of being a starting QB in the NFL imo. 

After watching 5+ games on the top 10 QB prospects here is how I would rank them:

- Pros: accuracy, progression ability, ability to extend plays, pocket presence, mobility, clutch, leader, qb persona, arm strength, winner, can make throws in tight windows, size

- Cons: turnovers, unusual delivery, sometimes fooled by coverages, not always consistent with deep ball

- Pros: Accuracy at all three levels, great understanding of the game, progression ability, pocket presence, arm strength, ability to throw in tight windows, intelligent, size, quick release

3) Baker Mayfield (Grade 82, 1st round prospect)

- Pros: deadly short and intermediate accuracy, clutch, creates energy, leader, winner, arm strength, mobility, moves around pocket well, progression ability, senior 

-Cons: size, sometimes misses throwing lanes, size sometimes limits him from stepping up in the pocket, inconsistent deep ball accuracy, occasionally throws late b/c of big arm

4) Mike White (Grade 78, 2nd round prospect)

-Pros: Accuracy at all three levels, arm strength, progression ability, throws with anticipation, shows ability to step up in the pocket, senior, size

- Cons: Will have to master moving around the pocket because of very limited mobility, sometimes slow going through reads, takes sacks too often

5) Mason Rudolph (Grade 77, 2nd round prospect)

- Pros: Accuracy, progression ability, pocket presence, senior, QB persona, size

-Pros: Elite arm strength, makes wow throws with arm strength and accuracy that only he can make, tough, competitive, mobility, size, may have arm talent to overcome deficiencies 

-Cons: Does not seem to process the game, misses open WRs, drops eyes to early and runs, misses routine throws, accuracy declines after 1st read, poor statistics

7) Lamar Jackson (Grade 75, 3rd round prospect)

- Pros: Elite running ability, quick release, makes wow plays every game, show ability to go through progressions, escapability, extends plays

8) Logan Woodside (Grade 73, 4th round prospect)

-Pros: Senior, unmatchable work ethic, football intelligence, quick processor, accurate at all three levels, raises level of play of his teammates, quick release, progression ability, pocket presence

Other QBs that will likely be drafted late in the draft (I consider them developmental back ups): Lauletta, Falk, Benkert, Litton

Anyone who watched college football will tell you the Mayfield's results were result of system he played in,  i hope the Bills do not waste a pick on this great college QB.  Will the set the franchise back another 5-6 years.  We have the draft capital to pick one of top guys and that is not Mayfield,  midget QB'S are great in college football and then suffer in the pros because of vision down the field and getting passes knocked down at the line.

Either Rosen/Darold/ Allen or Jackson if we decide not to trade up but no midget QB'S and  Mayfield is another Doug Flutie only 2 inches taller.  Buffalo is a tough place to throw the football come late November and Dec.  I just hope fans who keep posting to draft this guy will do your homework on this guy,  we just got rid of a guy Taylor who was the same size and time to draft a guy who will be hear for the next 12-15 years.

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Anyone who watched college football will tell you the Mayfield's results were result of system he played in,  i hope the Bills do not waste a pick on this great college QB.  Will the set the franchise back another 5-6 years.  We have the draft capital to pick one of top guys and that is not Mayfield,  midget QB'S are great in college football and then suffer in the pros because of vision down the field and getting passes knocked down at the line.

Either Rosen/Darold/ Allen or Jackson if we decide not to trade up but no midget QB'S and  Mayfield is another Doug Flutie only 2 inches taller.  Buffalo is a tough place to throw the football come late November and Dec.  I just hope fans who keep posting to draft this guy will do your homework on this guy,  we just got rid of a guy Taylor who was the same size and time to draft a guy who will be hear for the next 12-15 years.

I think he is more than just a system QB. His accuracy gives him a chance to be successful at the NFL level. The system is less of a factor now as the NFL is accepting some college concepts.

This is an awesome QB class. Last year I would have only graded two QBs in the 80s and only 4 better than 75. 

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

While Mayfield isn't my first or even second choice, comparing him to Tyrod is ridiculous. Mayfield's accuracy is above and beyond anything you've seen from Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billspro said:

- Cons: Will have to master moving around the pocket because of very limited mobility, sometimes slow going through reads, takes sacks too often

I stopped reading when I saw that you gave Mike White a 2nd round grade.

29 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Like those grades. I like some of the others you have out of the too three a bit better than you do. 

And have Rosen ahead if Darnold by a small margin as well

Rosen and Darnold are very close for me as well. The main reason I gave Darnold the edge was because of mobility and durability. I think they are both great, but I think there is a better chance Darnold will be healthy and playing games. Rosen is definitely a little bit more of a polished passer right now. 

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I stopped reading when I saw that you gave Mike White a 2nd round grade.

I know I am higher than most people on him. Most sites usually have a 3rd or a 4th round grade on him. It is my own rankings though and I don't have to copy the majority. 

22 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

JP Losman

That comparison does not make any sense to me. 

Losman had an accurate deep ball but was really inconsistent with short and intermediate accuracy. Mayfield has pinpoint accuracy for short and intermediate throws. Mayfield under throws the deep ball a little too often for my liking.

I actually think Mayfield has more zip on his throws than JP did too. 

I can’t say I can argue with your list. I think I would put Rosen slightly ahead of Darnold. Mayfield is a 2b to Darnold IMO. I love Mayfield’s fire. I’d agree with putting White slightly ahead of Rudolph, but there’s something about Rudolph’s persona that I love. Good list overall. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

You do realize Mayfield threw the ball the 2nd hardest at the combine only behind Allen right.  It sounds like you havnt done your homework on Mayfield and only see how tall he is.  After reading multiple posts of yours on Baker Mayfield I honestly don't think you have watched the guy play.

Edited by Zebrastripes
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, billspro said:

BillsPro, how can you have Jackson whose, according to you, only cons are inconsistent accuracy and ugly turnovers ranked lower than guys who also has inconsistent accuracy, doesn't process the game, drops eyes to early to run, poor mobility, slow going through reads, takes too many sacks? Lamar Jackson was the best player on the field every week. Some of his turnovers were due to his inconsistent accuracy and because he was the difference in winning and losing. His cons can be corrected easily. Slow eyes can't, just ask EJ Manuel.

9 minutes ago, the skycap said:

BillsPro, how can you have Jackson whose, according to you, only cons are inconsistent accuracy and ugly turnovers ranked lower than guys who also has inconsistent accuracy, doesn't process the game, drops eyes to early to run, poor mobility, slow going through reads, takes too many sacks? Lamar Jackson was the best player on the field every week. Some of his turnovers were due to his inconsistent accuracy and because he was the difference in winning and losing. His cons can be corrected easily. Slow eyes can't, just ask EJ Manuel.

Valid question, my prospects ranked 4-7 do not have much separation. For Mike White, he does a good job going though progressions for the most part. There were just a few times where he didn't do a good job and it ended up in sack. Josh Allen obviously has some huge flaws and it could be argued that Jackson is a better prospect. Allen has a special arm though, I saw some throws on his tape that no other QB can make. I think there is a chance his arm talent over comes his deficiencies. I put a very high value on accuracy, Jackson consistently had over throws in the middle of the field on intermediate throws, sometimes ending up in ugly int's. Out of my top 8 QBs I think he has the worst accuracy. I am worried his accuracy issue will wont be correctable, if I am wrong though he will probably end up being the next Vick and it will be a big miss for me. Saying that, I really like this QB draft class, all of my top 8 have starting QB traits. They won't all make it but I think there will be 4 or 5 starting NFL QBs from this class. 

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Boy you really put a lot of thought into that response. Come on! Mayfield has accuracy, anticipation, can read the field and knows how to win. None of those things define Losman.

Losman's college career wasn't even close to Mayfield's. JPL was raw as they come, had a big arm but not much else. He was a classic low floor high ceiling guy who never put it together. I don't think many personnel guys would rank him anywhere near Mayfield as a pro prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1