So is our QB from Free Agency or Draft?

Where do we get our next QB  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Where do we get our next QB

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Unless anyone is inside OBD with Beane and the scouting staff, neither you nor anyone else knows how they are stacking their board. 

I'm going off of common sense. Beane and McDermott both have said that we are not just one player away and that we have no intention of trading the farm. Rosen, Darnold and Allen are all going in the top 10, Mayfield will most likely be the odd man out and may slide far enough that we would have to give up very little to move up 5-7 spots to get him.

Or it could be Foles, Rudolph or some other free agent QB, but I stand by my thought that if we do draft a QB in RD1, my guess is Mayfield. I can't predict the future and I'm not pretending to have inside info.

Edited by NewDayBills

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Kirk Cousins?

Sam Bradford?

Case?

Bridgewater?

no?

lol

Really you believe these guys are franchise qbs?  So the new norm is for a team to not only let one franchise qb walk but three.  How many times has a qb hit free agency, went to another team and became a top tier qb in the league?  I'm not saying it can't happen it's just highly unlikely.

Brees is the only one at the age of these guys that comes to mind but at the same time the chargers had Rivers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gadzod said:

Who cares?  The only position that matters is QB.  You can find ANY position and fill that need EXCEPT for an exceptional QB.  If someone told me the Bills could trade their entire next TWO YEARS of draft picks for a future Hall of Fame quarterback in a draft, I'd take it in a heartbeat.  The Bills made last year's trade with KC so they can move up for a quarterback.  So, that asset at #22 is really for a quarterback.  In my mind if they trade #21, #22, a second and maybe even the Browns 3rd, the ONLY pick in my mind that we needed to add to acquire a QB was the #21 pick.  The other picks were all used to move up for a Quarterback.

Still believe  there is more value in a 1st this year and 1st next than  the two 1st of this year, something like us did last year just get more capital for a future possible trade

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'm going off of common Sense. Beane and McDermott both have said that we are not just one player away and that we have no intention of trading the farm. Rosen, Darnold and Allen are all going in the top 10, Mayfield will most likely be the odd man out and may slide far enough that we would have to give up very little to move up 5-7 spots to get him.

Or it could be Foles, Rudolph or some other free agent QB, but I stand by my thought that if we do draft a QB in RD1, my guess is Mayfield. I can't predict the future and I'm not pretending to have inside info.

Going on common sense might tell you there could be legitimate character concerns about Mayfield that could lead the Bills away from him.  It also might tell you they have the ammunition to get any QB in the draft if there's a willing dance partner.  It's no time to settle. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Going on common sense might tell you there could be legitimate character concerns about Mayfield that could lead the Bills away from him.  It also might tell you they have the ammunition to get any QB in the draft if there's a willing dance partner.  It's no time to settle. 

I am taking Beane and McDermott at their word. They may trade up, but I don't think it will be a colossal trade. I don't think it's a smokescreen, I believe them, some GMs and coaches are straight shooters, I think Beane and McDermott are one of them.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I am taking Beane and McDermott at their word. They may trade up, but I don't think it will be a colossal trade. I don't think it's a smokescreen, I believe them, some GMs and coaches are straight shooters, I think Beane and McDermott are one of them.

You should know better unless you're new to the NFL.  They aren't going to reveal their organizational thinking to the public via media interviews.  The amount of draft capital they have acquired speaks volumes over anything either of them say in a public forum. 

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Unless anyone is inside OBD with Beane and the scouting staff, neither you nor anyone else knows how they are stacking their board. 

I don't have a favorite in this race. McBean was hired to do the job. I like the Bills moves so far. I trust in McBean and "The Process". Whether it's Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold or even Allen I trust in this FO to make the right moves...

8 hours ago, billspro said:

Well the answer is both. 

Bridge QB in FA and franchise QB in the draft. 

I have a feeling it is going to be Darnold. 

I agree but I think Darnold or Mayfield will be the target.  It just seems that Rosen is not the kind of guy players will rally to and consider the team leader.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You should know better unless you're new to the NFL.  They aren't going to reveal their organizational thinking to the public via media interviews.  The amount of draft capital they have acquired speaks volumes over anything either of them say in a public forum. 

How do you justify taking a QB in the top 3, when you are on record saying that we are more than one player away? The media would cannibalize McBeane if they gave up every single pick we own for one player. Especially in a draft where there is no Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz prospect. I think we'll wait until one of the top 4 guys falls through the cracks and we move 21 + a 2nd what's left. They could just stay put and draft Rudolph or trade for Foles, who knows? I just think that Mayfield will drop and he will be way too hard to pass up on.

7 hours ago, billspro said:

Just a gut feeling. 

I think the Browns have fallen for Allen, but realize he is a one or two year project. I think they picked up Tyrod this year to let Allen sit and learn. 

Scenario 1: Giants select Barkley, we trade up with Colts for Darnold. 

Scenario 2 : Giants select Rosen, Colts select Barkley, we trade up with Browns for Darnold. 

I don't have a crystal ball though, I am just trying to connect the dots. 

The dots this year are really hard to connect for me because of all of the options.  Cleveland makes the most sense taking Allen but who the F knows haha.  This year is been so crazy already.  Very entertaining. Would love to see Buffalo trade up to 4 and give up a little less in the process for whoever they are looking to get.  2 is a really far jump.  My ideal situation is us jumping up to 7 or 9 and grabbing our guy but that seems unlikely with all of the other QB needy teams there.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

How do you justify taking a QB in the top 3, when you are on record saying that we are more than one player away? The media would cannibalize McBeane if they gave up every single pick we own for one player. Especially in a draft where there is no Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz prospect. I think we'll wait until one of the top 4 guys falls through the cracks and we move 21 + a 2nd what's left. They could just stay put and draft Rudolph or trade for Foles, who knows? I just think that Mayfield will drop and he will be way too hard to pass up on.

Because building the team into a perennial playoff contender with the chance to win Lombardis is more than a one offseason proposition, but getting the QB is they key. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Because building the team into a perennial playoff contender with the chance to win Lombardis is more than a one offseason proposition, but getting the QB is they key. 

There are some very good QB prospects this year, but I don't see a guaranteed home run guy. I understand if Andrew Luck or a Carson Wentz guy is sitting there, but I just don't feel that way about any of them, they all have flaws. Good prospects this year, not great, no one sticks out to me.

15 minutes ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I agree but I think Darnold or Mayfield will be the target.  It just seems that Rosen is not the kind of guy players will rally to and consider the team leader.

If I remember correctly, similar thoughts caused aaron Rodgers to drop during his draft. 

12 minutes ago, mead107 said:

It’s going to be Foles 

That would be nice at this point, but I would have thought that deal would have been done before moving TT. If we were the team to offer a second for foles that was rejected, I can't imagine the cost is going to go down now.

As noted by MDS, the Bills now have two picks in each of the first three rounds of the 2018 draft, with the latest addition coming in the form of the 65th overall selection that the Bills received from Cleveland for Tyrod Taylor. And so they have more than enough capital, starting with picks No. 21 and No. 22 in round one, to make a move into the top 10.

So who will be the trade partner? The Browns have two of the first four picks; they could take any player they want at No. 1 (a quarterback makes the most sense) and then trade the No. 4 pick to Buffalo. Or the Browns could roll the dice on getting the quarterback they want at No. 4 and send the No. 1 pick to the Bills.

Other candidates for a trade with Buffalo include the Giants at No. 2, the Colts at No. 3, the Broncos at No. 5, the Jets at No. 6, the Buccaneers at No. 7, the Bears at No. 8, the 49ers at No. 9, and the Raiders at No. 10.

I said free agency because only one QB can be a starter at a time.  I think the Bills will also draft a QB.  Where they draft depends on the free agent they sign.  If the sign a true bridge type QB (Josh McCown/Derek Anderson) they will draft higher.  If they sign a guy who is a bit younger that might be a viable starter for several years, they will likely draft a QB later in the draft. 

50% of 1st round drafted QBs flame out for various reasons,    the more this QB draft class shows the more it appears there is no absolutely guaranteed cant miss prospect this year.    We were all led to believe that this would be the best QB draft in a decade,   im meh on every single one of them.   

A prudent person would look for a known commodity,  somebody that fits the offense we will run,  somebody that appears to be an instant upgrade from our last QB,  especially in the passing game.

that guy is Nick Foles.    ignore the SB MVP chatter,    the guy has shown he can do the most important thing a QB needs to do,  throw the ball.

would rather spend picks on a known commodity than gamble them away.

Edited by bigduke6

11 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just wondering.. why spend draft picks on 30 year old QB>?

He isn't a RB. 30 is around the time many  QBs start hitting their prime.  Foles doesn't have that much mileage on him.

Edited by The Dean

2 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

50% of 1st round drafted QBs flame out for various reasons,    the more this QB draft class shows the more it appears there is no absolutely guaranteed cant miss prospect this year.    We were all led to believe that this would be the best QB draft in a decade,   im meh on every single one of them.   

A prudent person would look for a known commodity,  somebody that fits the offense we will run,  somebody that appears to be an instant upgrade from our last QB,  especially in the passing game.

that guy is Nick Foles.    ignore the SB MVP chatter,    the guy has shown he can do the most important thing a QB needs to do,  throw the ball.

would rather spend picks on a known commodity than gamble them away.

So, you want to put the future of the team in the hands of a guy that's 29 years old and contemplated retiring because of how bad he was performing on the field up until these last 6 games?  No thanks.  I'll take my chances on a kid that is 8 years younger.

3 minutes ago, gadzod said:

So, you want to put the future of the team in the hands of a guy that's 29 years old and contemplated retiring because of how bad he was performing on the field up until these last 6 games?  No thanks.  I'll take my chances on a kid that is 8 years younger.

lol he wasnt contemplating his retirement because of his play......cmon

3 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

lol he wasnt contemplating his retirement because of his play......cmon

It really doesn't matter why he contemplated retirement.  The fact is, he contemplated it because he "Had no love for the game anymore."  What makes you think he won't have that happen again if times get rough?  I'd rather have a guy 8 years younger with 0% chance of contemplating retirement being my franchise Quarterback.

11 hours ago, gadzod said:

It really doesn't matter why he contemplated retirement.  The fact is, he contemplated it because he "Had no love for the game anymore."  What makes you think he won't have that happen again if times get rough?  I'd rather have a guy 8 years younger with 0% chance of contemplating retirement being my franchise Quarterback.

agree