OPINION: We have a trade partner in place

McBean

13 hours ago, McBean said:

Or feel confident we have a veteran to sign after this move today.

No way McBean goes into next season with Peterman.

IMO, an announcement will be made soon about a trade into the top 10.

I think we’ll hear of a giant leap up the board before the draft if we don’t sign one of the legitimate free agent QBs this year. If Beane doesn’t sign a Keenum, Bridgewater, or whatever then evernody is going to know the Bills are thinking draft. The only way I could feel at ease if I were Beane and that’s the plan is to secure our spot at the top of the draft ASAP so you know your plan guarantees you a shot at our guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Posted in the other threat, but:

#21 / #22 / #53 / #56 / #65 = 2,555 points

#2 = 2,600 points

Maybe the Bills know after trading TT to the Browns that they are taking Barkley at #1.

Maybe Beane knows that Gettleman is only interested in spending #2 on Barkley.

Josh Rosen, welcome to Buffalo! :D

10 hours ago, billspro said:

Would not be surprising if they knew Allen was going 1. Barkley will go either number 2 or number 3. That would leave either Rosen or Darnold at number 4. They could have a trade worked out with the Browns already. 

I would rather give up 21, 53, 65, next years 1st, and 2020 2nd.

Hopefully we can get our guy at #3 or #4. Pretty sure the Giants go with Barkley.

Barkley is going #1 to Cleveland.

I would much rather give up the first 5 picks this year.  (Obviously would love to keep one of the 2nds, but need to be realistic).  If we give up those 5 picks, we still have a 3rd / 4th / 2 5ths, so basically we are just down a 2nd from a normal draft year.  I don't want to give up future obligations if it can be avoided, I think it's on the optimistic side to think our pick next year will come in at 22 or lower, and if something does go sideways I don't want to give up a top 10 pick if we can avoid it.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Maybe the Bills know after trading TT to the Browns that they are taking Barkley at #1.

That's my hope.

Barkley goes #1

We move up to get Rosen #2

I could see Cleveland giving up a 2nd or 3rd to go from 4 to 3 to get Darnold or Allen, whichever they want.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I F&$^ing hope so!

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Barkley goes #1

We move up to get Rosen #2

I could see Cleveland giving up a 2nd or 3rd to go from 4 to 3 to get Darnold or Allen, whichever they want.

I think its either this, or they are going after Foles, and plan to take a guy like Falk in the 3rd.

15 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

That won't cut it. Probably have to give them next year's first as well.

My hunch is that the Giants are the partner (Gettleman and Beane worked together for years), and that the Bills now have the ammo to do it: 21, 22, 53, and 65. That is a HAUL, and yet it still leaves the Bills with a pick in every round. I think Darnold is the target, and I also think the Browns are taking Barkley at one. The trade for Taylor also suggests for me that they're taking a qb is going to sit for a year, and Josh Allen is the likely candidate there. He is clearly the most physically talented qb to come along in some time.  I am guessing he is there at 4.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My hunch is that the Giants are the partner (Gettleman and Beane worked together for years), and that the Bills now have the ammo to do it: 21, 22, 53, and 65. That is a HAUL, and yet it still leaves the Bills with a pick in every round. I think Darnold is the target, and I also think the Browns are taking Barkley at one. The trade for Taylor also suggests for me that they're taking a qb is going to sit for a year, and Josh Allen is the likely candidate there. He is clearly the most physically talented qb to come along in some time.  I am guessing he is there at 4.

Yes indeed!

There are a few posters not happy about trading away all those draft picks. The way I look at it, Bills would get Tre White and Josh Rosen for their 2017 #1, 2018 #1+2, Tyrod Taylor, and Sammy Decoy. Steal of a deal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Yes indeed!

There are a few posters not happy about trading away all those draft picks. The way I look at it, Bills would get Tre White and Josh Rosen for their 2017 #1, 2018 #1+2, Tyrod Taylor, and Sammy Decoy. Steal of a deal.

They'd still have a pick in every round in this scenario!

15 hours ago, McBean said:

Really, I think they have talked to several teams and know what it would take to get into draft positions 2-10ish. They will let the draft play out and pounce when they feel we can get the best player at the best value. Just my opinion, of course. But I feel like they have a plan and several fall back plans. Trading Tyrod now just tells me they are confident that everything is going to be ok.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They'd still have a pick in every round in this scenario!

Oops, I was really looking at this:

#2 = 2,600 points

That's why I'm counting our 2018 2nd-rounder and Sammy Decoy in initial assets spent.

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We do have the capital for that move, but I'm suspect of Darnold. I can't get over that Tebowesque loopy throwing motion. I think he's a ways off from starting. My own ranking is Mayfield, then Rosen. All that said, what an amazing place McBeane has brought us to. Imaging trading a first, second and third in one draft and still having a first, second and third.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

We do have the capital for that move, but I'm suspect of Darnold. I can't get over that Tebowesque loopy throwing motion. I think he's a ways off from starting. My own ranking is Mayfield, then Rosen. All that said, what an amazing place McBeane has brought us to. Imaging trading a first, second and third in one draft and still having a first, second and third.

Fair enough. I love Darnold and think he has greatness in him. I love how he plays the game, and i like him in shootouts. As a ucla alum, i am sympathetic to Rosen, but i really worry about injuries with him. Mayfield could also be great, and i agree about him. Regardless, this is such a great qb draft, and the bills will be getting one of them.

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

Oops, I was really looking at this:

#2 = 2,600 points

That's why I'm counting our 2018 2nd-rounder and Sammy Decoy in initial assets spent.

I'm skeptical of that point system, btw. Isn't there a new one that factors in capped rookie salaries?

15 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yes indeed!

That is pretty amazing when you look at it like that

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Fair enough. I love Darnold and think he has greatness in him. I love how he plays the game, and i like him in shootouts. As a ucla alum, i am sympathetic to Rosen, but i really worry about injuries with him. Mayfield could also be great, and i agree about him. Regardless, this is such a great qb draft, and the bills will be getting one of them.

I know. I can't remember being this jacked up for a draft, and I've followed the team since 1963!  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm skeptical of that point system, btw. Isn't there a new one that factors in capped rookie salaries?

I much prefer Rosen, but as long as he's out of the AFC and especially far far away from Miami, I would be more than happy on draft day with any of those 3.

There may be a new point system out, but I like the way that one looks. :lol:

17 hours ago, McBean said:

Of course SOMEONE will be signed; the human JUGS machine cannot throw all of the balls to the DBs.

I believe the rumors and rumbling of Buffalo having an eye for a Qb and are willing to go them is heightened by this move.  The only other option would be trading for Luck or signing Cousins.  I think they thought Taylor was a competent NFL starter.  In the playoff game his limitations were on full display but he did get them there.  Getting rid of Taylor for picks to me was always the plan.  I also feel that they would not pull the trigger unless they were very confident they will land an upgrade over him.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Dude, I find myself agreeing with you a whole lot, so extra belated welcome for coming here.

I have to think that the Bills have an in-principle deal in place. I really don't see anything else to explain it. Like you mentioned, they keep making deals by signing cut FA before free agency. They have, at this point,  six draft picks in the first 3 rounds. They just got rid of their bridge QB. 

In my mind, nothing about this suggests that the Bills are content with waiting until 21 to take a QB. I think they like someone, and are willing to spend to take a chance on him.

There was a report out (unconfirmed of course) that the Giants were willing to deal for our two firsts in 2018, our first in 2019 and Glenn. If so, this makes perfect sense: we get a rookie QB without too many dire holes. We have enough cap space to pick up a few solid mid-level FAs on days 2 and 3 of the the FA carnival to reinforce the WR and LB group. 2nd and 3rd round is a great time to shore DTs, LBs and RT and C. 

We turn over a decently prepared work in progress to a rookie, and see where your weaknesses are. Then, in 2019, a LOT of dead money comes free and the Bills are in the position to spend bigger to fill in the gaps. It's a structure pretty damn close to what the Eagles did in 2016 and 2017.

As far as I'm concerned, this is THE best way to build a roster in the 2018 NFL. Hit on a rookie QB, and you have him on a cheap contract for 4-5 years. During that time, you build the team around him and use your ample cap savings to fill out a deep and quality roster. Then, when QB is due for second contract, you have to cut some weight in various places to afford him, but that's okay, because by that point, said QB is theoretically a franchise player and is good enough to keep your team contending for a decade.

The Seahawks did it, the Rams did it, the Eagles did it. The Chiefs are about to do it. 

The main thing that this plan's success is contingent upon, of course, is actually hitting on the QB you choose. 

So, as you said: Get the QB this year, take a likely step back wins-wise next year (as Eagles and Rams did in year 1 with rookie QBs), but then in year two (2019, in this case)...look out. Culture established, QB procured, roster set up for success...and then here comes $90 million in cap space to really finish off the rebuild. 

Exciting time to be a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 4