Video discussion about Lamar Jackson everyone should watch

2 minutes ago, the skycap said:

But Josh Allen is top tier? I call BS!!

My personal take? Nope, not at all.  BUT, he does have the freaky physical traits that NFL management loves.  Did you see him at the combine?  I don't think he's worth a top 5 pick, but watching him make those throws was impressive!  IMO, he doesn't have the game talent to succeed, especially early in his career.  But GM's love the measurables.

Jackson appears to be one of the most polarizing players in this draft class.

I truly believe that there are some teams that do not even see him as a QB and are serious about exploring a projection to WR. Those teams likely would not draft him on day one and probably not day 2. Meanwhile, other teams really do believe that he is one of the top QBs in this draft. As we know, it only takes one team to fall in love with a player -- which is why I think he goes in the first round, possibly before the Bills select at #21.

I expect that Petrino will be fielding plenty of questions from NFL scouts/GMs/coaches about whether or not Jackson has the goods to be an NFL QB.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I think is racist is referring to Jackson as a project and Allen as a #1 pick. 

NFL Scouts love size and arm strength in Quarterbacks.  They always have and always will.

Cam Newton was a read-option QB in college, with horrible mechanics and accuracy issues.  Yet he went #1 in one of the most stacked drafts in NFL history. 

When teams see Josh Allen, they see his physical size and one of the strongest arms in 10 years. 

Lamar Jackson is 2 inches shorter, 30 pounds lighter and an above-average arm.

Edited by mjt328

Just now, mjt328 said:

NFL Scouts love size and arm strength in Quarterbacks.  They always have and always will.

Cam Newton was a read-option QB in college, with horrible mechanics and accuracy issues.  Yet he went #1 in one of the most stacked drafts in NFL history. 

When teams see Josh Allen, they see his physical size and one of the strongest arms in 10 years. 

I take your point.  Maybe it's not racist, maybe it's just short sighted, given the CHFF on how few QB that aren't >60% in college succeed in the pros, unless they have durn good reasons.

1 hour ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

really good video and points being made about Lamar Jackson. I’m beginning to think that this might be the very best QB this draft has to offer. watch this video and see for your self. Also just because you don’t like his throwing style or his narrow base is not a good argument. The results that are all that matters. He has the size the we crave for a qb and body type. Also might be the fastest QB ever. If this guy was white and played at Tenn he be the 1st pick in the draft. 

There wasn't any video of jackson in there. lol

Just a couple of fanboys whining that everyone doesn't agree with them...    Nancy's.  :D

This video adds absolutely zero evidence to any point about anything regarding Lamar Jackson except that some Bills fans on Bills forums are very gullible when it comes to accepting other people's opinions.

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

100% on point.  When I think of Allen, I think of Jamarcus Russell.  Threw the ball 70 yards from his knees and that's what got him in the NFL.  Size and strength trumps a lot of other things.

6 minutes ago, Acantha said:

My personal take? Nope, not at all.  BUT, he does have the freaky physical traits that NFL management loves.  Did you see him at the combine?  I don't think he's worth a top 5 pick, but watching him make those throws was impressive!  IMO, he doesn't have the game talent to succeed, especially early in his career.  But GM's love the measurables.

So his strong arm makes him accurate?

12 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

A post last night showed what the velocity numbers were for the qb's that threw at the combine. Jackson had one of the worst (slowest) velocity on his throws. Combine that with his accuracy stats from college, along with his combine performance & i think thats why people are critical of Jackson.

It should be mentioned that it was pointed out by someone (Ben Allbright? Yes) pointed out that last year, the official velocity numbers differed a lot from OurLads, the ones that were posted last night  https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/971601107569922048

And people were way critical of Jackson before those velocity numbers and before the combine, for rationales that don't match up what is seen on film.  JMO.

18 minutes ago, the skycap said:

If you watched his games, you'd see all the passes that were dropped by his receivers. ALL QBs have errand throws!!

I call BS!!

Besides scrambling, what is SOOO amazing about Jackson?

Edited by Tatonka68

really good video and points being made about Lamar Jackson. I’m beginning to think that this might be the very best QB this draft has to offer. watch this video and see for your self. Also just because you don’t like his throwing style or his narrow base is not a good argument. The results that are all that matters. He has the size the we crave for a qb and body type. Also might be the fastest QB ever. If this guy was white and played at Tenn he be the 1st pick in the draft. 

Per the bold text, that's just not true. If he were white and from Tennessee, he'd have the exact same question marks going coming out of college. There are legitimate concerns regarding his ability, just as there are for all the other prospects. 

37 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Well, I saw the thing from Ourlads, but If that is unreliable than I do not know and I may very well be wrong. 

Though I would say that it seems pretty obvious that Allen has a higher ceiling as a straight passer due to his incredible arm so if the two of them had the same accuracy knocks, that might be where Allen get's labeled differently. 

I understand.

There have been some very good scouting breakdowns of Jackson pointing out where and when his accuracy breaks down: when he's throwing in such tight quarters that he can't gt his hips turned and step into his throw properly.  I can watch Jackson throw on tape and tell you if it will be inaccurate or not.

I can't do that with Allen

In addition, while Jackson's completion percentage has increased So-Jr yr and his WR had the most drops, Allen's did not increase and his WR had half the drops.

So I'm not sure I agree about the "higher ceiling as a straight passer", but I do agree that the "Big Boy with Howitzer" love seems to overpower the NFL track record some of these draftees actually have, with NFL scouts.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold text, that's just not true. If he were white and from Tennessee, he'd have the exact same question marks going coming out of college. There are legitimate concerns regarding his ability, just as there are for all the other prospects. 

I agree. But I do think his personal choice to play QB and not WR would be better respected if  he were.  Maybe just me.

6 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I call BS!!

Besides scrambling, what is SOOO amazing about Jackson?

Here.  Good place to start.  Look at the .gifs

https://www.cover1.net/scouting-report-qb-lamar-jackson-louisville/

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

It can't be because he's just not a very good passer with poor form and accuracy? Has to be racist? Oh boy

I agree about the race part, it's stupid but they do refer to running QB's as "projects" quite alot. Is he not a very good passer? His WR/TE as a group had 38 dropped passes (I believe that's what I read), I'm not sure what % of those passes were catchable or poorly thrown but let's just take half of those dropped passes (19), what would his completion rate be with the extra 19 catches? 

you had a good point up until "if he was White and played at Tenn."   Luke Falk has amazing accuracy, and is also knocked for having a "small frame," like Jackson.  Although Falk is not fast, etc.  

I think that the media and fans are going to be shocked at where and when Jackson gets selected. He's perfectly built for the modern "RPO" NFL style of play and I think he'll become an even better version of what we saw of DeSean Watson. I think his somewhat "street" look and demeanor is a certainly part of the reason that he's not being seriously considered as a top 4 prospect. The media and fans see this demeanor as lacking intelligence for the QB position. I don't see that. You just need football intelligence and the intangibles factor. He has those traits IMO. He also the ability to elude defenders at the NFL level that hasn't been seen since Vick. Elusiveness = HUGE plays in NFL games. With Jackson, his legs will more than make up for the 3-4 extra misfires on throws that the more accurate QBs can make. The final thing that Jackson has is his likeability, team mates will want to make plays for him. Dudes got it all IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

There wasn't any video of jackson in there. lol

Just a couple of fanboys whining that everyone doesn't agree with them...    Nancy's.  :D

This video adds absolutely zero evidence to any point about anything regarding Lamar Jackson except that some Bills fans on Bills forums are very gullible when it comes to accepting other people's opinions.

I actually must agree with that.  Although I like Jackson

I hope he's there at 21.  The first round is going to be fun to watch.  I could see 5 QB's gone by 21, or only 2 (Rosen and Darnold).   Depends on whether the Saints, Steelers, etc. try to draft backups--and if Miami still wants to go w/ Tanny.  

If I'm the Saints and Steelers, no way I draft a QB.  I'm going to max out on Brees and Ben's window to win.  

But he is a good passer you just don’t like his throwing style. You can’t say he’s not a good passer satistics do not back you up. 

Lmao...why do folks compare players? Because its valid. He is somewhere between Tyrod n Vick. Enough said. I dont want him unless its in the 2nd. Even then Id have reservations.  Enough of "the next best thing". Just get us a REAL QB!