Maurice Hurst diagnosed with heart condition; medically cleared to play

When this happens you always feel for the player and think how it may inhibit or prevent them from playing professionally.

But the bigger picture is, perhaps it's a blessing they know something they might not otherwise be aware of. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, frogger said:

I ask the same question, are the team doctors ignoring the medical results to keep the kid playing?

No the medical exams are not nearly as intense and only have to be done before first year of eligibility per NCAA Bylaws and can be done by ANY licensed physician to include a family Dr. 

NCAA Bylaw 17.1.5 Mandatory Medical Examination requires all student athletes to have a physical prior to their initial season of eligibility or trying out for a team within 6 months prior to physical activity by a family physician or team physician.

Bylaw 17.1.5 Prior to participation in any practice, competition or out-of-season conditioning activities (or, in Division I, permissible voluntary summer conditioning in basketball and football or voluntary individual workouts pursuant to the safety exception), student-athletes who are beginning their initial season of eligibility and students who are trying out for a team shall be required to undergo a medical examination or evaluation administered or supervised by a physician (e.g., family physician, team physician).  The examination or evaluation must be administered within six months prior to participation in any practice, competition or out-of-season conditioning activities.  In following years, an updated history of the student-athlete's medical condition shall be administered by an institutional medical staff member (e.g., sports medicine staff, team physician) to determine if additional examinations (e.g., physical, cardiovascular, neurological) are required.  The updated history must be administered within six months prior to the student-athlete's participation..................”

https://ncaad2rules.blogspot.com/2013/07/ncaa-bylaw-1715-mandatory-medical.html?m=1

read on the Combine Medicals. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine.amp.html

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

How do these issues not come up in college?a

Because there is no money paid to them, they're not seen as an actual long-term investment but rather treated as a race horse...beaten up for 4 years and sent packing. School gets the on field performance and then the legacy from the player if he makes the big show. 

What does the horse get? Fed, trained, and housed. What does a college athlete get? Fed, trained, and housed. 

NCAA is the biggest scam in America. 

31 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

When this happens you always feel for the player and think how it may inhibit or prevent them from playing professionally.

But the bigger picture is, perhaps it's a blessing they know something they might not otherwise be aware of. 

...exactly and a damn good assessment......makes you wonder if some of these collegiate medical staffs buy their degree and RUBBER STAMP OF HEALTH APPROVAL on Amazon courtesy of "booster funding"........could have saved this young man's life.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

It's a bittersweet moment. On one hand, you really feel for him if this is him done before his career really gets to start.

On the other, I'm just pleased that he knows about it and can hopefully manage it so it doesn't cause a premature end to something more precious than his football career.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, frogger said:

I ask the same question, are the team doctors ignoring the medical results to keep the kid playing?

I doubt that for the overwhelming majority. At least with serious stuff like heart issues. Concussion, risk to ligaments etc... sure, they might bend the standards...  but spine, heart are life threatening.

More likely the evaluations are a bit less thorough and ultimately some of these conditions aren’t a black and white issue to diagnose. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I doubt that for the overwhelming majority. At least with serious stuff like heart issues. Concussion, risk to ligaments etc... sure, they might bend the standards...  but spine, heart are life threatening.

More likely the evaluations are a bit less thorough and ultimately some of these conditions aren’t a black and white issue to diagnose. 

...certainly hope you are correct......but the "lily white nature" of the NCAA and colleges makes you wonder.....collegians are students and not employees (versus NFL).....so are their parents first and foremost medically responsible via family physicians?......and the collegiate docs do a cursory review?......booster bucks and mega millions in bowl appearances sure as hell seem to be at the top of the priority list....

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m pretty sure Donald Washington learned of his kidney condition at the combine ... either that or he knew but tried to hide it and then teams found out at the combine 

Do you mean Donald Jones? If so, yes...his kidney condition was revealed at the combine.

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Could be a Murmur, or a leaky valve between the two chambers. A-Fib, etc. - Treatable conditions, by the way.

It's safe to say that If an individual's cardiac output  was compromised, they would not be able to perform at a high level on the field.

I was going to say there are all kinds of heart conditions.  Some can be career threatening.  Some can be treated with medication.  Some can be eliminated through surgery that would allow him to continue his career.

• Like (+1) 1