Mason Rudolph

35 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Let me say this, Mason Rudolph fits the plan. should be available at 22, the remainder of draft picks can be used to trade down and add more picks.

Also, like it or not Nathan Petermen would most likely win the starting job , if he plays poorly Rudolph can give it a shot.

If I was to make a guess, Mason Rudolph is the likely path

i would for sure be on board with this. i hope we can hit on a good talent(rudolph) without giving up the farm. trades for the top four are going to be extremely high priced. indy3, cle.4 and denver at 5 could really fleece another team for those spots.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Let me say this, Mason Rudolph fits the plan. should be available at 22, the remainder of draft picks can be used to trade down and add more picks.

Also, like it or not Nathan Petermen would most likely win the starting job , if he plays poorly Rudolph can give it a shot.

If I was to make a guess, Mason Rudolph is the likely path

....agree......he is the safe and perhaps unsexy pick.....just don't see McBeane as a high stakes gambler with draft capital thinking about moving up into "God's Country" for one of the "alleged QB God's" in the top ten......and he still may shop for a two year bridge vet to mentor Rudolph and Peterman......not convinced TT is in their plan...........

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2018 at 9:29 PM, NewDayBills said:

Allen and Jackson are above him because of their ceiling IMO. Rudolph has a lower floor. But Allen and Jackson were both completing less than 60% (56% and 59%), Rudolph completed 63% and every year at Oklahoma St. his accuracy improved. 

A lot of the time Allen was throwing the ball away because he was running for his life.  Played with no talent and Jackson was Lousiville.  They had very little talent.  Rudolph was on a team that had two receivers that will be drafted fairly high this year and an overall solid group of talent around him.  He was horrible against any defense that was worth anything.  He didn't take many snaps from center and didn't have to make many reads as the throw had a predestined location before the snap.  The offense is built around getting receivers wide open so it is easier on the QB.  It is very hard to scout that.  He hasn't done what would be asked of him from an NFL team much.  That's concerning.  A slightly higher completion percentage with the team he had and the system he had means absolutely nothing to me and shouldn't to scouts either.  He could be great but he just doesn't have the film that translates to the NFL. He showed a lack of awareness in big games and didn't move up in the pocket.  I would take Jackson over him at 2.  Rudolph needs a year to sit on the pine as well IMO.

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It’s videos like that one that had me excited about Rudolph’s potential. The mental game will be crucial for his success as he needs to overcome a less than ideal arm. 

Fans get excited about Jackson and Allen’s athletic gifts just like they will be impressed by the mental side of things displayed by Rudolph. Too bad we cannot pick and choose aspects of the quarterbacks. 

Just now, racketmaster said:

It’s videos like that one that had me excited about Rudolph’s potential. The mental game will be crucial for his success as he needs to overcome a less than ideal arm. 

Fans get excited about Jackson and Allen’s athletic gifts just like they will be impressed by the mental side of things displayed by Rudolph. Too bad we cannot pick and choose aspects of the quarterbacks. 

It's certainly an important aspect of playing the game at a high level in the NFL.  It's the other facets of his game that leave something to be desired.  As I have posted before I see him as a pro prospect, but not as one who'll ascend to being a very good starter. 

After watching some of the combine yesterday, my top 3 picks at QB for Buffalo are Josh Allen, Rosen & Rudolph.  While we would have to trade up to get Allen or Rosen, we might be able to stay put & grab Rudolph. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

A lot of the time Allen was throwing the ball away because he was running for his life.  Played with no talent and Jackson was Lousiville.  They had very little talent.  Rudolph was on a team that had two receivers that will be drafted fairly high this year and an overall solid group of talent around him.  He was horrible against any defense that was worth anything.  He didn't take many snaps from center and didn't have to make many reads as the throw had a predestined location before the snap.  The offense is built around getting receivers wide open so it is easier on the QB.  It is very hard to scout that.  He hasn't done what would be asked of him from an NFL team much.  That's concerning.  A slightly higher completion percentage with the team he had and the system he had means absolutely nothing to me and shouldn't to scouts either.  He could be great but he just doesn't have the film that translates to the NFL. He showed a lack of awareness in big games and didn't move up in the pocket.  I would take Jackson over him at 2.  Rudolph needs a year to sit on the pine as well IMO.

This.  When I watched Rudolph's film, I found myself watching his WR more and more.  I covet Washington.  Rudolph got a LOT of help from his WR.  Jackson got a lot of drops from his WR who, to be fair to them, were also asked to make more high degree of difficulty catches in traffic.

Rudolph's footwork and throwing motion are more developed and consistent than Jackson - which is not to say they don't break down at times and cause inaccuracies.

The degree to which Rudolph makes reads and progressions seems to be a matter of debate, but I'm pretty sure Jackson is significantly ahead of Rudolph in playing in an offense that has more pro-style concepts, reads, and progressions, and at being able to evade pressure, reset, and find the open man.   

Rudolph makes safe decisions and throws the ball out of bounds where Jackson finds a play, and when he does run, DAMN I'm afraid he'll get hurt, he is awkward.

They are both IMO day 2 guys who need to sit for a year and develop, but I agree I wouldn't be all Rudolph >> Jackson because a couple percent completions.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

After watching some of the combine yesterday, my top 3 picks at QB for Buffalo are Josh Allen, Rosen & Rudolph.  While we would have to trade up to get Allen or Rosen, we might be able to stay put & grab Rudolph. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

There is no comparison IMO.  Rosen is a developed, Day 1 starter.  Allen is a Day 2 guy who may develop into an excellent QB, but being marketed and puffed up as a Day 1 top of the draft guy.  Rudolph is a Day 2 guy who may go Day 1 because QB get overvalued.

From what I have seen of him, his ceiling is Trent Green.  Green needed parts around him to be good, but he was very good in Dick Vermiels offenses based on timing routes.  Green did NOT have an elite arm...he had a damn good brain and could execute that offense and those routes very well.  You can do worse than a Trent Green clone.

9 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Go back and watch Nathan Peterman's Gruden QB camp and you will floored. He also has a lack of arm strength. I think knowledge of the game can only take you so far if your can't throw an out route. 

And I agree, I wish we could take Rosen's brain and arm talent, Allen's arm strength and size, and Jackson's athletic ability and make a quarterback. Maybe Mayfield's moxie and Darnold's toughness as well. I wouldn't want anything from Rudolph. Very ordinary.   

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Limited upside-Pass.....give me more arm talent than I've seen from him

That’s fair, but can I assume you’re willing to pay what it takes for the upgrade?  Or do you prefer the status quo? 

Last year Rudolph passed for 4900 yds. in 13 games and accounted for 47 tds, threw 9 int. , comp 65%, gained 10 yd. per attempt,  and was 3rd in passing efficiency, 4th in total qbr. He is also 6'5" 230 lbs. They say he throws a great deep ball and has good 'football smarts'. I haven't seen him play very much but I would think unless he has an uncorrectable flaw that this guy is an extremely elite prospect. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Go back and watch Nathan Peterman's Gruden QB camp and you will floored. He also has a lack of arm strength. I think knowledge of the game can only take you so far if your can't throw an out route. 

And I agree, I wish we could take Rosen's brain and arm talent, Allen's arm strength and size, and Jackson's athletic ability and make a quarterback. Maybe Mayfield's moxie and Darnold's toughness as well. I wouldn't want anything from Rudolph. Very ordinary.   

If it is very ordinary to be 6'5' 235 lbs. and be one of the most prolific passers in college history, then yes he is ordinary. Rudolph threw for about as many yds and tds in a single season as Peterman did in his entire career. Rudolph is 3 inches taller with a bigger frame, was top 5 in almost statistical category, and is 11th all time in career passing yds. He has also improved every year in every category. Other than their purported noodle arms I don't see a comparison.

Obviously I have no idea if Rudolph will be a success, but I don't see a can't miss qb out there.  I think they all have ? marks and are just potential still. The way people  believe wholeheartedly in someone and  completely dismiss others with such certainty is laughable.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  When I watched Rudolph's film, I found myself watching his WR more and more.  I covet Washington.  Rudolph got a LOT of help from his WR.  Jackson got a lot of drops from his WR who, to be fair to them, were also asked to make more high degree of difficulty catches in traffic.

Rudolph's footwork and throwing motion are more developed and consistent than Jackson - which is not to say they don't break down at times and cause inaccuracies.

The degree to which Rudolph makes reads and progressions seems to be a matter of debate, but I'm pretty sure Jackson is significantly ahead of Rudolph in playing in an offense that has more pro-style concepts, reads, and progressions, and at being able to evade pressure, reset, and find the open man.   

Rudolph makes safe decisions and throws the ball out of bounds where Jackson finds a play, and when he does run, DAMN I'm afraid he'll get hurt, he is awkward.

They are both IMO day 2 guys who need to sit for a year and develop, but I agree I wouldn't be all Rudolph >> Jackson because a couple percent completions.

There is no comparison IMO.  Rosen is a developed, Day 1 starter.  Allen is a Day 2 guy who may develop into an excellent QB, but being marketed and puffed up as a Day 1 top of the draft guy.  Rudolph is a Day 2 guy who may go Day 1 because QB get overvalued.

"Rudolph makes safe decisions and throws the ball out of bounds where Jackson finds a play"...... but somehow Rudolph completes 65% of his passes for 10 yds/att while Jackson completes 59% for 8.5/att. Rudolph throws 2 more air yds/att as well and is far more efficient. They account for the same amount of tds as Jackson evens it out with his legs but how long can he do that in the pros? He is so multidimensional and uniquely talented it is hard to predict, but with his frame and style I think he will have to run a lot less.

Edited by Turk71

On 03/03/2018 at 2:29 AM, NewDayBills said:

Allen and Jackson are above him because of their ceiling IMO. Rudolph has a lower floor. But Allen and Jackson were both completing less than 60% (56% and 59%), Rudolph completed 63% and every year at Oklahoma St. his accuracy improved. 

You have this completely the wrong way round. Rudolph is low ceiling high floor. Allen are very high ceiling very low floor.  Allen has the lowest floor on of any QB in the draft and if his inaccuracy from college doesn't improve he'll be out the league in 3 years

• Like (+1) 1