Billy Price tore his pec at combine; out 4 months following surgery

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

He meant to say incline. Its not one subjective event, it's highly researched and a well known fact that flat barbell bench is not safe and if I help 1 person from what I went through then I'm happy. I wish I had known more about it at the time but as a competitive power lifter it's one of the 3 main lifts you focus on. Maybe you won't push enough weight to have your pec tear in half but come back in 10 yrs after you have your rotator cuff surgery and tell us how much you love to barbell bench press. People in the industry don't focus on flat barbell bench for a number of reasons but for some reason it's the most popular exercise for the bros at the local gym. If it's because of a lack of awareness then I'll do what I can to help get the word out. Thanks.

I never got to thr competitive power lifting stage but a fee years ago when I was 40 I got up to 1,420 lbs for my big 3, incliding s deadlift of 565 lbs...not bad for someone 188 lbs....only problem was I eventually ended up hurring myself on all these lifts and I realized I had probably reached my limit and it wasn't going to be smart to keep trying to push it...the size I gained from lifting that heavy has largely stayed even as I train at relatively lighter weighs now

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to disagree with this. They want a guy who is available as part of his DNA, which is exactly who he is. He fits McD player profile to a T. He has a short term injury now and no injury history prior. He started 55 straight games on the interior OL. He’s the definition of “availability.” He might not be ready for the start of he season but a) tbh that’s the only way the Bills may even have a chance to take him anyway because their startin interior OL is in place b) they don’t really “need” him to start the season. I would look for him to eventually be a 8-10 year fixture at RG replacing Ducasse or LG replacing Richie. He could be ready by September or October at the latest. Don’t even know how bad the tear is. 

He’s a super intelligent, high-character, team captain who won the Rimington Award. He would be a steal in the late 2nd or 3rd.

I sort of threw in there until the medical comes back. But this can be a pretty bad injury. He’s gonna be a good to great player if he can get it fixed but you’re right if he’s drafted we’d probably play him as a guard

Truly sucks for the kid..

From a selfish fan perspective - I think he's off the table in round 1, which is good.  Not a big fan of a first round center unless its late in the first.

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to disagree with this. They want a guy who is available as part of his DNA, which is exactly who he is. He fits McD player profile to a T. He has a short term injury now and no injury history prior. He started 55 straight games on the interior OL. He’s the definition of “availability.” He might not be ready for the start of he season but a) tbh that’s the only way the Bills may even have a chance to take him anyway because their startin interior OL is in place b) they don’t really “need” him to start the season. I would look for him to eventually be a 8-10 year fixture at RG replacing Ducasse or LG replacing Richie. He could be ready by September or October at the latest. Don’t even know how bad the tear is. 

He’s a super intelligent, high-character, team captain who won the Rimington Award. He would be a steal in the late 2nd or 3rd.

I'm fine with him later in the draft, just not in round 1.  Our o-line isn't great by any means.. but the holes at d-line, LB, and QB loom very large at the moment.  

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Same situation I had. Inconclusive MRI. Went to get 3 opinions. 1 Dr said just let it heal on its own, you will lose some strength but the accessory muscles will help with that. Another Dr said the only way to fully recover is surgery and you have to do it fast because after a week or two the tendons die off and retract and the muscle tissue scabs over.  The last Dr said it could go either way and maybe I should take up jogging instead. So I had the surgery and they got in there and saw there was nothing they were able to fix but the sheer act of cutting you open and poking around does a lot of damage on its own. So essentially my outcome was extended time off because of surgery minus the benefits of being fully healed so I would have been better off not having the surgery at all. He will have the same decision to make. Tough call because his livelihood revolves around pushing 300 pound DT day in and day out. I'll be curious to hear what they decide to do

19 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Truly sucks for the kid..

From a selfish fan perspective - I think he's off the table in round 1, which is good.  Not a big fan of a first round center unless its late in the first.

I'm fine with him later in the draft, just not in round 1.  Our o-line isn't great by any means.. but the holes at d-line, LB, and QB loom very large at the moment.  

The Bills can’t take him in round 1 due to other pressing needs (QB mostly) but if we have a chance later I would do it.

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is going to kill it in his interviews 

Price is a McDermott type of guy. If the wrestling coach was a girl she would want to marry him. 

Price is the type of guy who if you didn't know what he did for a living when you met him you are impressed by him. He's also the type of guy that whatever he does he will be successful at it. I can see McDermott swooning at the thought of him being on the roster. :wub:

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Price is a McDermott type of guy. If the wrestling coach was a girl she would want to marry him. 

Price is the type of guy who if you didn't know what he did for a living when you met him you are impressed by him. He's also the type of guy that whatever he does he will be successful at it. I can see McDermott swooning at the thought of him being on the roster. :wub:

Plus... he’s bald :wub:

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Plus... he’s bald :wub:

Wow great news that it was minor.  He must have just a slight tear.  Lucky for him.  It could have been much worse.  It's the worst sound in the world when it tears.  It sounds like velcro ripping apart and you are like what the heck is that?  Was that me?  When it's real bad you can usually tell because it fills up with blood and swells up like crazy.  I was going to post a pic but if you want to be grossed out you can google it yourself.

12 hours ago, kdiggz said:

As some of you may know I had the same injury last year. Barbell flat bench is a dirty tramp. Stay away. If you workout, do dumbbell incline and fly's instead. They need to stop making guys do flat bench at the combine. It's an injury waiting to happen. There's other things you can do to test strength like pushing the sled. Maybe hook up some sensors and bring the combine into the 21st century. The only thing flat bench for reps tests is how often you focus on flat bench for reps in the weight room.

I like the pushing the sled with sensor's idea.  The bench is a bad barometer of how a guy will actually block.  The sled could be modified for WR's and RB's for stiffarm.  

37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He can also play guard, which provides depth at two positions.  I'm more partial to the guy from Iowa solely based on the fact that I've read he can get to the second level quicker.  But Price would be nice.   

Also, Bozeman (sp) from Alabama is intriguing.  That wouldn't surprise me either as a pick in the later rounds.  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He can also play guard, which provides depth at two positions.  I'm more partial to the guy from Iowa solely based on the fact that I've read he can get to the second level quicker.  But Price would be nice.   

Also, Bozeman (sp) from Alabama is intriguing.  That wouldn't surprise me either as a pick in the later rounds.  

With respect to the appealing offensive linemen who might be available that issue is circumscribed by the priority of getting a high end qb from this draft. Are the Bills going to trade away some draft capital to get the qb? If that happens that will lessen our ability to select highly touted line prospects. Will the Bills stay pat and draft their qb without shedding picks? If they take that route then there is a greater likelihood that a lineman can be added to the roster. 

It just seems that the qb issue seems to loom over everything else. That's why I strenuously advocated for drafting a qb last year (either Mahomes or Watson) and getting that issue addressed sooner rather than later. By not seizing the opportunity last year it has set off a chain reaction this year. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With respect to the appealing offensive linemen who might be available that issue is circumscribed by the priority of getting a high end qb from this draft. Are the Bills going to trade away some draft capital to get the qb? If that happens that will lessen our ability to select highly touted line prospects. Will the Bills stay pat and draft their qb without shedding picks? If they take that route then there is a greater likelihood that a lineman can be added to the roster. 

It just seems that the qb issue seems to loom over everything else. That's why I strenuously advocated for drafting a qb last year (either Mahomes or Watson) and getting that issue addressed sooner rather than later. By not seizing the opportunity last year it has set off a chain reaction this year. 

I agree.   QB (and even pass rush) should be addressed prior to OL.  If we address the QB and pass rush, we have a more potent offense and a top 5 defense.  Imagine a pass rush + our secondary.  Scary.  

That's why I think a lower ranked center (and we have Groy, so we don't have the "emergency" some national pundits think) such as Ragnow, Clapp, Queesnburry (esp. if we get Rosen), Clapp, and Bozeman will be the pick.  

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You mean Thurman Thomas?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If they get a good bargain and he misses a year but then is a very good player, I'd love it, myself. The problem is often when you go in unawares, which is what happened last year. The full injury happened after the draft. 

I can see people saying they don't want him. I'd still like him if he's a bargain and looks likely to recover well.

The pec is muscle not a ligament. And is not in the knee area.......:D

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was referring to Price, not Groy. He will be drafted to play OG or C, not just C.

Ah. I see that now. :doh: Think I was several beers in when I posted that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I feel like this would be a huge 'get' for our Bills if he slipped into the second round. It seems that it is becoming more likely that we are giving up both of our 1st(s) for the shot at a QB. However, the real suspense afterward is whether or not we will have any available draft capital after the move up. If so will we have any picks left in (a). this year's 2nd rd. and/or (b). next year's 1st/2nd rd/combination of both. With that being said, if we can work magic to keep both of our 2nd rounders this year and possibly only (not ideal) lose next yr's 2nd rounder to move up. Then we could keep both this year and use one of them to snag Price, all of a sudden if he is available in the second then he goes from a luxury to a must.  

Im going to guess he doesn't need surgery. He's a big thick guy and he was only benching 225. If it was a skinnier guy benching twice his weight for instance I think it would do way more damage. The guys I know that have had bad tears did it with high weight low reps

36 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Im going to guess he doesn't need surgery. He's a big thick guy and he was only benching 225. If it was a skinnier guy benching twice his weight for instance I think it would do way more damage. The guys I know that have had bad tears did it with high weight low reps

I would assume this was cumulative effect of a couple months of chasing reps and developing spotty movement patterns during his sessions chasing said reps. like you said. this is light weight for large mammal like that. I don't necessarily think it was the weight that did it, as it was most like a glitch in his mechanics over months...... which, like you pointed out earlier, are usually compromised with any barbell pressing movement. 

as the local fitness pro in my area I work 2 different high school football teams and a wrestling squad. as well as training a handful of the athletes personally.... In the summer programs I have to bang into these kids heads that they don't need to be hammering out the bench and chasing numbers there.... if we do its a closer medium to shoulder width grip for the lineman and its mostly velocity and dynamic work at submaximal loads. 

hopefully its not to serious and doesn't nag him for awhile. tough break.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I would assume this was cumulative affect of a couple months of chasing reps and developing spotty movement patterns during his sessions chasing said reps. like you said. this is light weight for large mammal like that. I don't necessarily think it was the weight that did it, as it was most like a glitch in his mechanics over months...... which, like you pointed out earlier, are usually compromised with any barbell pressing movement. 

as the local fitness pro in my area I work 2 different high school football teams and a wrestling squad. as well as training a handful of the athletes personally.... In the summer programs I have to bang into these kids heads that they don't need to be hammering out the bench and chasing numbers there.... if we do its a closer medium to shoulder width grip for the lineman and its mostly velocity and dynamic work at submaximal loads. 

hopefully its not to serious and doesn't nag him for awhile. tough break.

Sounds good! I wish we had someone knowledgeable in high school teaching us the correct form and lifts so you are doing a great thing for those kids. In my day it was just a free for all and I'm lucky I didn't get injured back then. We would just keep going higher and higher on bench and squat without much attention to the accessory movements and supporting muscle development. Not to mention our form and mobility was probably trash. The coaches encouraged it by hosting a "lift-a-thon" to test us which was basically a powerlifting meet. So we were always chasing those numbers and it was the wrong approach