Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

So did Peterman.  How tough a year of throwing to the other team gets  you the most excited?  Darnold did not play like a first-round pick this year.

Competitive is nice.  Throwing to your own team is better.

Top 5 pick irrespective of his decision to not throw at the combine.  At 20 years old he has time and room to develop further regarding his mechanics and ball security issues. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Top 5 pick irrespective of his decision to not throw at the combine.  At 20 years old he has time and room to develop further regarding his mechanics and ball security issues. 

Time is not generally given to QBs that are picked that high.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If one of these guys were Wentz or Goff.  I don't think any of them are and if the Bills agree it would be stupid to move way up.  You just want them to pick a QB to pick a QB.  

At least 2 if not 3 are as good or better than those guys.  Who are Wentz and Goff?  They were nobodies.  Wentz was at North Dakota State for a reason.  Goff was a much better prospect but certainly didn't set college football on fire and had a losing record.  Rosen was the top QB coming out of High School.  Darnold was up there but he only started at USC because Rosen decided to go to UCLA.  Both were much better prospects and much better college players.  And Allen and Mayfield might even end up being better too.  Both have intangibles that none of the others possess.  This is not a EJ Manuel year where it's like well we need a QB let's just get someone.  This is the best QB draft in the past decade

8 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

So did Peterman.  How tough a year of throwing to the other team gets  you the most excited?  Darnold did not play like a first-round pick this year.

Competitive is nice.  Throwing to your own team is better.

No one to contrast it with I guess is his agent's theory.

I like Peterman, he doesn't have the skill set to make me invest time in him. He would have to take the Kirk Cousins route to a starting job. Work hard and wait for an opportunity. 

12 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

At least 2 if not 3 are as good or better than those guys.  Who are Wentz and Goff?  They were nobodies.  Wentz was at North Dakota State for a reason.  Goff was a much better prospect but certainly didn't set college football on fire and had a losing record.  Rosen was the top QB coming out of High School.  Darnold was up there but he only started at USC because Rosen decided to go to UCLA.  Both were much better prospects and much better college players.  And Allen and Mayfield might even end up being better too.  Both have intangibles that none of the others possess.  This is not a EJ Manuel year where it's like well we need a QB let's just get someone.  This is the best QB draft in the past decade

I think Rosen has a chance.  The other guys not really.

28 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What would you be looking for, or is it just you want to see them compete? 

I mean throwing in shorts to new WRS doesn't do much for me. 

Just want to see that competitiveness. "The other guys are throwing so I am too" mentality. That's all. 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Just want to see that competitiveness. "The other guys are throwing so I am too" mentality. That's all. 

He looked like he was ready for a nap in the Cotton Bowl. Not sure if he always looks like that but he didn’t appear very competitive. Made some nice throws though while getting mauled. God his OL was tragic.

Edited by YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He has the most upside. That's what you're drafting. 

The issue though is thats an individual opinion that is not shared equally by all evaluating this draft class.  You have said a couple of conclusive opinion statements as if fact now while ignoring that he isn't seen the same way by everyone and still has plenty to show ahead of this draft to convince others of that.

He is far from being a lock as first QB taken, or #1 overall.  Can he be, absolutely...but you talk about it as a certainty, and quite honestly I think its more likely he wont be than he is at this stage.  A lot is going to change between now and the draft with combine, workouts, and interviews...so he can certainly make his case.  Yet he just removed himself from something that could have helped him make a big case by not throwing at the combine.  He didn't have much to lose, but a lot to gain.  

And there are people who think Rosen...or Allen...or Baker...or a few like Arians who think Lamar...all have the most upside.  Its an opinion, and not quantifiable.  Obviously the front runners are Rosen and Darnold.  But to be honest with Darnold, his 2017 wasn't what people expected, so I get why you have confidence in him or like him, but he definitely did not cement his draft position this year as the top must have QB yet and let others creep into the conversation.  

He will be a high pick no matter what, and I would also be excited to get him or any of the top prospects really.  But I think he has some work to do before he can be confident in being the first QB taken.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One word that comes to mind:  Weak.  I already had concerns that he is mentally weak the way he makes bad decisions every week.  This isn't helping that concern.  I want a confident killer out there on that field.

I think the two guys with brass balls are Rosen and Mayfield. 

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the two guys with brass balls are Rosen and Mayfield. 

Agreed, and Baker is the one I want the most.  He was the Kobe Bryant of College Football QB play...mentality of a killer on the field.  

I want that fire and this team really needs some fire like that on that field every Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, and Baker is the one I want the most.  He was the Kobe Bryant of College Football QB play...mentality of a killer on the field.  

I want that fire and this team really needs some fire like that on that field every Sunday.

I agree with that

Darnold is going to go down as a bust. 

That goofy throwing motion is going to be "worked" on by some NFL guru - hopefully not the Bills, please please pretty please not the Bills, and they are going to eff that kid all up from the effed-up-ness that he has now.

2-3 years from now he will be on the street.......goofy mechanics DO not equal greatness at the most important spot in Football......see Teblow.