2017 Draft - A missed opportunity

Cubanmist 1

4 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

It depends on what the Bills do with the draft capital this year.

Example: if the Bills trade up for Rosen and he becomes our franchise QB with a solid rookie year and improves like Wentz did year 2, than the trade worked out for us, even if Mahomes becomes Favre pt2, and Watson becomes another great young QB.

The ball is officially in our court. We waited a year to draft a QB.  We f'd up and made the playofds but we can still trade up. Now or never Buffalo. Make a move.

Not worth what it would take to move up.

Watson is the prototypical example of not recognizing "it" in a player. Not seeing when everything jives and works exactly right to produce a stud. Problem with those guys is that they're very much boom or bust. The Texans took him because they were desperate. We weren't. Getting a stud CB then was more important to us than taking a risk on a QB (not to mention an extra first.) 

Meanwhile, I don't know that anyone has seen enough of Mahomes to anoint him a success. 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not worth what it would take to move up.

They could do it in 2 moves like the Eagles did. Im sure phili doesnt regret trading up for Wentz.

The problem is we might get a bust. If we hit on the QB we trade up for, all is forgiven.

If we miss.....woof....heads will roll.

3 hours ago, Cubanmist 1 said:

In the eyes of many, 2017 was fairly a good draft for us. However, I believe in my heart of hearts that we should have utilized our first round pick on Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. We had no business trading our pick to KC knowing that we have a QB issue. Sure, White is a very good CB, but again we had pressing needs. Now, we are faced with the possibility of not being able to draft a good QB this year. What do you’ll think. 

They haven't even combined for a full season of play. Still way too soon to say missed opportunity. Especially when we end up with a darn good football player in White. Lets see what we end up with before passing judgement.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

They haven't even combined for a full season of play. Still way too soon to say missed opportunity. Especially when we end up with a darn good football player in White. Lets see what we end up with before passing judgement.

It absolutely is too soon to declare Watson a success.  People forget that Vince Young and RG3 were great their rookie years.  That said, if I was McDermott and I could have that  1oth overall back, I am taking Watson all day long.

24 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

They could do it in 2 moves like the Eagles did. Im sure phili doesnt regret trading up for Wentz.

The problem is we might get a bust. If we hit on the QB we trade up for, all is forgiven.

If we miss.....woof....heads will roll.

The Eagles moved up from 13th to 8th to 2nd.  That's a lot more doable.

How can you complain about Tradavious and a 1st this year?  Who will we draft at 22?  Perhaps Lamar Jackson or Allen- and perhaps whomever the QB we draft at 22 will become a top NFL QB and better then Mahomes and Watson.   Did you ever consider that?  

Edited by Pete

5 hours ago, Cubanmist 1 said:

In the eyes of many, 2017 was fairly a good draft for us. However, I believe in my heart of hearts that we should have utilized our first round pick on Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. We had no business trading our pick to KC knowing that we have a QB issue. Sure, White is a very good CB, but again we had pressing needs. Now, we are faced with the possibility of not being able to draft a good QB this year. What do you’ll think. 

giphy.gif

On 2/22/2018 at 4:23 AM, Cubanmist 1 said:

Except nothing you wrote is actually known...at least not yet.  Mahomes has done nothing in the NFL yet, and all Watson has done is tear his second ACL.  All this stuff about crowning guys before they have earned anything is ridiculous, its like no one learns from previous mistakes in this matter.  

Remember RG3?  He's not even in the league anymore despite his huge start to his career and he is under 30.  

Remember Kap?  He's not even in the league anymore despite his huge start to his career and near SB win and he is under 30.

Remember Vince Young?  ROY who was out to the league before he was 30.

Funny thing is no one here would touch any of those 3 guys right now, yet they all started out with early success.

I am in NO WAY saying Watson or Mahomes will flame out.  What I am saying is that its crazy to crown these guys the next greatest thing before they have done much in the NFL or had any sustained success.  And Watson, who I love to watch play, is an athletic QB who now has 2 major knee injuries before he even completed a season.  He got hot for a few games, and good for him, it was great to see.  But we don't know how he will do over a sustained career, and now he has to try and do it after his second bad knee injury.

And worse yet, you don't know what QB will be here...could be Cousins, could be a guy we draft (most likely draft).  And if that QB ends up being BETTER than both Watson and Mahomes and we STILL got Tre, then it was by FAR the best move.  So cant really say we missed an opportunity yet because there is no where near enough information to be able to do so. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Sweats said:

When you’ve passed on quality QB’s over the past 20 yrs, what’s another seaon in the big picture.

which quality QB's have the Bills passed on?  I will give you Russel Wilson and Dak.  But what other quality QB did we not draft tha last 20 years.  The fact is there are not many quality QB's in the NFL

I keep seeing this line of thought pop up but it ignores 1 major issue.  They were never going to let dead-man-walking Doug Whaley choose the teams next franchise QB.

They want their people to have an opportunity to properly evaluate the prospects before they tie their career to one.  Basing the biggest decision a franchise makes on information from a bunch of people on the way out the door is dumb.

Instead, they made sure to give themselves the necessary ammo this year, once they have had a chance to do their own evaluations.

Maybe Mahomes/Watson end up being studs.  The Bills picking them was never a realistic option.

Edited by greenwithenvy

On 2/22/2018 at 6:40 AM, eball said:

This is an interesting topic you've raised.  I wonder why nobody has discussed it before?

Oh, wait....

eball, you just single-handedly saved the party! without your inquiring mind and ability to step up, these thread had the potential to grow up to  237 pages!! 

this bud is for you! :beer:

On 2/22/2018 at 7:23 AM, Cubanmist 1 said:

Hindsight is always 20-20.  IIRC most of TBD was on board with the trade back because they figured the Bills would win 4-5 games and KC would take a major nose dive, too, so the Bills would have 2 picks in the top dozen in 2018.  I guess their crystal balls were a bit defective, huh?

On 2/22/2018 at 8:33 AM, xRUSHx said:

They missed the boat on Watson for sure, jury still out on Mahomes but that's two strikes if he also lights up the league. I wish my team had a real QB.

It isn’t even for sure that they were wrong on Watson.  He certainly had a GREAT start, but it was a very limited sample and there have been lots of guys who have a good start, but fade when NFL defenses figure out how to game-plan them.

I am NOT saying that will happen to Watson, but there is definitely a chance it could.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, Pete said:

which quality QB's have the Bills passed on?  I will give you Russel Wilson and Dak.  But what other quality QB did we not draft tha last 20 years.  The fact is there are not many quality QB's in the NFL

Right on.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:22 PM, greenwithenvy said:

I keep seeing this line of thought pop up but it ignores 1 major issue.  They were never going to let dead-man-walking Doug Whaley choose the teams next franchise QB.

They want their people to have an opportunity to properly evaluate the prospects before they tie their career to one.  Basing the biggest decision a franchise makes on information from a bunch of people on the way out the door is dumb.

Instead, they made sure to give themselves the necessary ammo this year, once they have had a chance to do their own evaluations.

Maybe Mahomes/Watson end up being studs.  The Bills picking them was never a realistic option.

Not sure that they do have the necessary ammo.  I don’t think they have the draft picks to get to the 2nd to 4th pick to get Darnold or Rosen - at least not that I would be willing to give up.  Of course, if they are willing to give up several high picks this year and next year, they might be able get there, but that is too rich for my blood.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, Pete said:

Well, they didn't take Brees or Brady in 2000, and they let Jay Cutler get away in 2006, not to mention Joe Flacco in 2008 and Andy Dalton in 2011.  :doh:   Of course, they also passed on such gems as Matt Leinart, Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Colin Kaepernick, Geno Smith so it pretty much balances out IMO.  The only two QBs I'm po'd about the Bills screwing up with were giving up the 2005 first to trade back to take Losman, thus missing out on a shot at Aaron Rodgers, and passing on Russell Wilson for TJ Graham!  :doh::doh:

I was pro Watson early last year. I just think at some point these scouts get analysis paralysis. Watson shredded the top defense in the country back to back seasons on the biggest stage. He wasn't as run prone as some think, pretty neutral, did a ton of damage with his arm. Took a Clemson to the first NC in 35 years and B2B NC's. This against a Power 5 Schedule. At that point if he has a clean head and doesn't have a noodle arm, let it be. He passes the test. 

I really think they expected to be in a  much better draft position this year. There was absolutely no depth behind Shady and other key positions.They traded Watkins. Who really expected Shady to stay healthy all season and to ride him all of the way to the playoffs? They overachieved.