Rumor: Shady on the Trade Block

8 hours ago, Rico said:

Big difference though. Shady is beloved by the entire fanbase, while Sammy was not. I don't know if Pegs would sign off on trading him.

Youre on the right track but a little off the mark. The FO doesnt care who the fanbase loves or not, nor should they. We all know that Marv quote.

The big difference between Sammy and Shady is Sammy was an immature, selfish player who wasnt buying into the process and was more worried about his targets (as admitted in the recent Dunne article) than the team. Where as Shady, from that same article, is the consummate professional and vet leader, to the point that he was the one who called Sammy out in front of everyone for his targets quote.

While anything is possible, McBeane has shown they want to keep players like Shady around even at a premium. Especially if we are going to have a rookie QB in there. The best way to help a rookie QB is to have a strong running game. I'd be disappointed for a number of reasons if we did trade him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Youre on the right track but a little off the mark. The FO doesnt care who the fanbase loves or not, nor should they. We all know that Marv quote.

The big difference between Sammy and Shady is Sammy was an immature, selfish player who wasnt buying into the process and was more worried about his targets (as admitted in the recent Dunne article) than the team. Where as Shady, from that same article, is the consummate professional and vet leader, to the point that he was the one who called Sammy out in front of everyone for his targets quote.

While anything is possible, McBeane has shown they want to keep players like Shady around even at a premium. Especially if we are going to have a rookie QB in there. The best way to help a rookie QB is to have a strong running game. I'd be disappointed for a number of reasons if we did trade him.

I agree with 99% of what you wrote, DrD.  The only thing about which I feel differently .... the best way to help a rookie QB is to have a strong O line.  You build a stellar line, and any "good" RB can be a "great" RB.  And the young QB gets protection/time.

Trading McCoy could help with building that line (or the D line, which ties the O line for most important, IMO).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree with 99% of what you wrote, DrD.  The only thing about which I feel differently .... the best way to help a rookie QB is to have a strong O line.  You build a stellar line, and any "good" RB can be a "great" RB.  And the young QB gets protection/time.

Trading McCoy could help with building that line (or the D line, which ties the O line for most important, IMO).

We're 100%. I agree and think its a combo of running and OLine. Look at Dak with Zeke and the OLine. I just didnt feel like typing more in my last post and didnt want to get off track by bringing the OL into it. But yeah, we're in agreement there.

I still wouldnt trade Shady and work on the OL in other ways.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They just broke the 17-year drought though. Now as you said obviously anything can happen, but I think for this year and this year only, there would just be too much bad karma letting Shady go. It's not like Fred (washed-up) or Bruce/Thurman/Andre (need cap space) either. They already may be losing KW as it is.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

They just broke the 17-year drought though. Now as you said obviously anything can happen, but I think for this year and this year only, there would just be too much bad karma letting Shady go. It's not like Fred (washed-up) or Bruce/Thurman/Andre (need cap space) either. They already may be losing KW as it is.

Losing KW is another sad positive.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I get what youre saying, and dont disagree, I just think it's last on McBeane's list of qualifiers. Especially after his Player's Tribune article. The Eagles/Chip already did him dirty once, Shady deserves better.

11 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

FWIW Sal Capaccio straight-up said it was not true and questioned the integrity of BF Fanatics:

Sal is not an insider. Any news he gets is news that the Bills want public. FWIW BuffaloFanatics did have inside info in the past but they were wrong about Maclin and haven't had much inside info since.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Sal is not an insider. Any news he gets is news that the Bills want public. FWIW BuffaloFanatics did have inside info in the past but they were wrong about Maclin and haven't had much inside info since.

What does nflchatter.com have to say on the matter? :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If the Giants are truly building around Eli and not taking a QB early, Shady could be an interesting part of a trade package for them.

Building around a 38 year old Eli by adding a soon to 30 year old RB?   Can't see that as prudent at all. 

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's an interesting point. Back to the NFC East, and especially if the Browns take Barkley #1...

Their running back play was putrid last year, worst in the league.  Shady / Darkwa (who showed some flashes) / Vereen / Gallman seems much better.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Building around a 38 year old Eli by adding a soon to 30 year old RB?   Can't see that as prudent at all. 

Describing Shady as merely "a 30 year old RB" is both lazy and disingenuous. And if they are building around Eli, it would be to win right now. Maybe for the next 2-3 years. So Shady would fit that perfectly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Describing Shady as merely "a 30 year old RB" is both lazy and disingenuous. And if they are building around Eli, it would be to win right now. Maybe for the next 2-3 years. So Shady would fit that perfectly.

It's the reality of who he is. If they want a RB they can just draft Barkley or another in the 2018 draft that is deep in quality and talent. What's lazy is thinking it's a good idea for a team like the Giants. Shady has far more value as a Buffalo Bill than to a team like the NYG. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Only way I could get down with this would be to sign Cousins, trade up with Giants (picks and Shady), draft Barkley. 

Otherwise, I want Shady here. He has more in the tank and we know we don’t have a worthy replacement. Without a threat in the running game, our rookie QB and mediocre receivers are completely screwed. He is also veteran leadership that is walking out the door with Wood, and KW/TT (likely). 

no way am i trading shady this year...especially if we have a young qb back there. i do hope that they bring in a very good rb2 though because last year we really missed that shady/td mike combo.

as far as the giants go, no way would i trade up that far for darnold or rosen. i think darnold's gonna need 2 yrs. and i just don't think rosen would be a fit in buffalo. the only qb i'd trade up for is mayfield. like i said earlier, i think the whole landscape will change when free agency starts.

i wouldn't mind them banking cousins. actually him , foles, or mc carron would allow us to really maximize our draft capitol.