Gaines, White and possibly making it work for the future

Guys, I'm just throwing it out there...

I never want to over pay for CB, but I know it is extremely beneficial to have multiple good ones.

That said is 9 million dollars really that outlandish for Gaines?  Anything above 10 million for a quality CB I believe becomes a little bit more questionable and there is no way I would have paid Gilmore what the Patriots are paying him.

However, can't we reasonably fit it in and sign Gaines to a 4 year deal and then before you are potentially in line for inking White to a new deal couldn't you possibly trade Gaines or cut him during or after three years?

I know we may be dealing with some dead cap money, but in return we get a premier set of starting CBs for the next 38-48 games.

One last thing is the idea of building this team and I don't like that we got someone really good and a draft pick for Sammy and really only ended up with a draft pick and a rent-a-player.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I don’t know what Gaines is demanding but I’m really hope both sides can reach a fair deal for both sides.

The bills defence was completely different when he was injured and I don’t think it was a fluke.

The guy can play and plays a very important role on the defence 

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I don’t know what Gaines is demanding but I’m really hope both sides can reach a fair deal for both sides.

The bills defence was completely different when he was injured and I don’t think it was a fluke.

The guy can play and plays a very important role on the defence 

bf, When he first went down (in Atlanta, I believe) I knew that was going to be trouble for us and surely was when we went to Cincy.

As WGR mentioned this morning we were 8-3 with him and 1-4 with out him and although I truly don't think that you just plain win or lose games at the CB position that is still a pretty darn impressive stat.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

bf, When he first went down in (in Atlanta, I believe) I knoew that was going to be trouble for us and was when we went to Cincy.

As WGR mentioned this morning we were 8-3 with him and 1-4 with out him and although I truly don't think that you just plain win or lose games at the CB position that is still a pretty darn impressive stat.

Agreed 100 percent.

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Agreed 100 percent.

One more thing and please forgive the "would have, could have, should have", but I honestly believe that if we had a healthy EJ Gaines we maybe pullout that CIncy game.

...maybe we end up 10-6 and maybe we're going back to KC for the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I never want to over pay for CB, but I know it is extremely beneficial to have multiple good ones.

That said is 9 million dollars really that outlandish for Gaines?  Anything above 10 million for a quality CB I believe becomes a little bit more questionable and there is no way I would have paid Gilmore what the Patriots are paying him.

However, can't we reasonably fit it in and sign Gaines to a 4 year deal and then before you are potentially in line for inking White to a new deal couldn't you possibly trade Gaines or cut him during or after three years?

I know we may be dealing with some dead cap money, but in return we get a premier set of starting CBs for the next 38-48 games.

One last thing is the idea of building this team and I don't like that we got someone really good and a draft pick for Sammy and really only ended up with a draft pick and a rent-a-player.

If you want to keep them together. (i am not sure i do with Gaines never being available). The contract structure is easy. Sign him Or any CB you want to keep long term to a long term deal with the cap hits big in years 1-3. Then when White comes time for his 5th year option or Long term extension the orher CB cap hits are low. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

it was always his hammy right?  you gotta think that should be something they can work on this off season. maybe he's over training something? if he's healthy all 16 games he's a darn good cb

Yes he is. But the Problem is he just never is. Dating back to rams. It is always something

knee hammy groin with us

Thigh foot concussion knee with Rams 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/ej-gaines-player-injuries

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I like the thought process.  I really like White and Gaines starting side by side.  With Gaines' injury history and his fit for our system and culture I look at that $9-$10 million range to be a win/win for us and Gaines.  I hope that is where it lands.  It would be great!

• Like (+1) 1

9 mil would be my limit, but it would also need to allow us protection from injury. 

We traded for him, gave him a shot, and helped make him what he is. Between that and his injury history, I’m hoping we can meet in the middle. 

Because yes, we are a different defense with him on the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

9 mil would be my limit, but it would also need to allow us protection from injury. 

We traded for him, gave him a shot, and helped make him what he is. Between that and his injury history, I’m hoping we can meet in the middle. 

Well in his defense he excelled when Healthy with Rams as well. So not sure how much we helped make him what he is. 

He was always a very good CB that couldnt stay healthy so far in his career 

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

and how do you do that? 

If he walks, I think he likely falls into the 3rd round range for a comp pick?  Could be 4/5 though. Not sure where Matthews falls, and/or Preston brown.  We'll need to sign some replacements for sure.  Hopefully some of the fringe guys factor in like Leonard Johnson, Shareece Wright, or maybe Humber.  

I never really know who counts or why though. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

It's a business both on the team's side and the player's side.  They have to want to be here too.  If you do pay him, I'd be expecting many injury clauses.  I would hate to sign him and have him watch from the sideline.  It's a wait and see right now.

That only works if other teams are also requiring the same. Which implies you'd have to wait until after March 16th to sign him assuming he then finds out every other team in the league is requiring the same of him.  The problem with that is I'm sure some team or teams will make offers without any injury provisions.   I'd be shocked if he'd agree to something like that prior to the start of FA period, unless he truely wants to re-sign in Buffalo and no place else. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If you want to keep them together. (i am not sure i do with Gaines never being available). The contract structure is easy. Sign him Or any CB you want to keep long term to a long term deal with the cap hits big in years 1-3. Then when White comes time for his 5th year option or Long term extension the orher CB cap hits are low. 

With a 4-year deal, Gaines will be gone when Tre's would kick in, and they'd probably draft a couple over that period anyway. 

I think their dilemma is how they will get their QB? If they go for Cousins, they they have to fill their holes via the draft; if they move up to draft someone, then they will need to fill holes in FA. I think they'll go the latter route. They'll probably have a little over $30 million to play with. They should structure the bigger deals to reduce the hit this year (leaving more cash available for players this year), loading up in year 2 when they get the dead cap relief (over $20 mil).  For example, say they could get Gaines with a 4-year $32 mill deal,  which includes a $12 mil signing bonus.  They could structure like so: ($3 + $3), ($3 + $7), ($3 + $5), and the same in year 4.  I'd do something like this with their top 3 FAs. Just an example, but I think that dead cap space gives them some flexibility to add more players this year and smooth out the cap hit in the years after 2.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Well in his defense he excelled when Healthy with Rams as well. So not sure how much we helped make him what he is. 

He was always a very good CB that couldnt stay healthy so far in his career 

Because of that injury history, he was listed as 3rd/4th on their depth chart. 

2 hours ago, nucci said:

and how do you do that? 

More up front money or team options 

Zone CBs are never going to command the price that someone who is man to man will. And even if Davis is slowing down to the point of being more of a press guy, he's not going to want to take the pay cut. He'll test the market and try to get someone to pay him.

I don't see Buffalo spending 9M per on a UFA CB largely because they've got so many needs elsewhere. I can see them looking for someone much lower priced and using their cap room to improve the front 7.

Gaines isn't coming back, given the price he's looking for and it wouldn't surprise me if there's been no discussion between his agent and OBD.