2017 Top Ten CBs According to Next Gen Stats - Tre' White Number 10

26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 2017 Top Ten CBs According to Next Gen Stats - Tre' White Number 10
18 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

should be higher than 10 IMO.  i'm tired of hearing about Lattimore.  The Saints have always had an established organization.  The fact that we have a different staffing every single year should rate Tre a lot higher.  Buffalo never gets the love they deserve.

You can make that argument for sure - but when you look at the names on that list, I think Tre is in good company

34 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

should be higher than 10 IMO.  i'm tired of hearing about Lattimore.  The Saints have always had an established organization.  The fact that we have a different staffing every single year should rate Tre a lot higher.  Buffalo never gets the love they deserve.

Wait..the Aint's have always had an "established" organization? Grandson, is that you?

Does your Daddy know you're up past bedtime?

Edited by BuffAlone

53 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

The Saints had one of the worst defenses in history, added Lattimore and became Super Bowl contenders. It is no slight to Buffalo at all. Tre had a great year, Lattimore might be the best CB in football. Both of those statements can be true (and are). Tre White as a top 10 CB in football isn’t a slap in the face; it is a sign of respect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Saints had one of the worst defenses in history, added Lattimore and became Super Bowl contenders. It is no slight to Buffalo at all. Tre had a great year, Lattimore might be the best CB in football. Both of those statements can be true (and are). Tre White as a top 10 CB in football isn’t a slap in the face; it is a sign of respect.

I'd still take White over Lattimore.

Anything can happen........but I tend to think he's going to be injured a lot.

Injuries and then fighting thru them taps many a player of their skill..........that's why Marquise Goodwin refused to play thru practically anything as a Bill until his Olympic dreams were dashed.

I expect Lattimore to be battling hammy issues and have a shorter career.

Freak injuries can happen but 3D is just one of those dogs that's built to last, IMO and that's why I liked him over Lattimore from the start.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd still take White over Lattimore.

Anything can happen........but I tend to think he's going to be injured a lot.

Injuries and then fighting thru them taps many a player of their skill..........that's why Marquise Goodwin refused to play thru practically anything as a Bill until his Olympic dreams were dashed.

I expect Lattimore to be battling hammy issues and have a shorter career.

Freak injuries can happen but 3D is just one of those dogs that's built to last, IMO and that's why I liked him over Lattimore from the start.

I saw all of White and a ton of Lattimore being in New Orleans. The biggest difference is that Lattimore plays on an island. He was the better player this year, that’s why he got 90% of the DROY votes. He earned it.

With that being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he battled injuries. He missed a couple of games last year and in college. Obviously that could change things.

Both guys are really good but I would have Lattimore above White (but both in the top 10 in the league).

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I saw all of White and a ton of Lattimore being in New Orleans. The biggest difference is that Lattimore plays on an island. He was the better player this year, that’s why he got 90% of the DROY votes. He earned it.

With that being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he battled injuries. He missed a couple of games last year and in college. Obviously that could change things.

Both guys are really good but I would have Lattimore above White (but both in the top 10 in the league).

No question that Lattimore has the better physical skills......he's special.

1 hour ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Always? lol apparently you have forgotten about them havig something like 2 wining seasons in 40 years before drew Brees lol.....the only real positive that organization has had is brees. 

2 hours ago, Jlee120419 said:

Always? lol apparently you have forgotten about them havig something like 2 wining seasons in 40 years before drew Brees lol.....the only real positive that organization has had is brees. 

My fault everyone.  you're absolutely correct that the Saints defense hasn't been established or the greatest.  Just like everyone on here, my passion for the Bills is through the roof.  I just wanna point out the Lattimore was expected to produce right away, while Tre wasn't.  So the fact that Tre completely exceeded expectations should rank him higher.  Sorry everyone, still a little bitter that he wasn't DROY. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would say they became SB contenders because of Kamara, not Lattimore.

1 hour ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

That wouldn’t be true then. The Saints have always had an elite offense (but Kamara was a great addition). In fact they had 2 Pro Bowl RBs this year. They became contenders because Lattimore shadowed the number 1 receiver all over the field. He was the definition of a shutdown corner. 

There is a stat that is something like “every time the Saints defense has been 25th or better with Brees they’ve been in the playoffs.” They went from awful to pretty good and now are contenders. He absolutely changed that team more than anyone. 

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree.  

Lattimore was the #2 player in the draft after Garrett for me.  How he ever made it to the Saints at #11 I simply have no idea. Lattimore is going to be the best corner in the league and I have no significant injury concerns. It wasn't the much talked about hammys that caused him to miss games this year.  It was a concussion and then he missed one game later with the kind of ankle injury that can happen to anyone.  

No slight on Tre.  He is an outstanding corner.  That was one hell of a corner class.  I think the number 5 or 6 corner last year (who was the Jackson kid that went to Tennessee on my board) would be the #1 corner this year (if you think Fitzpatrick is a safety at least). I have just started to watch some of the UCF kid though and so far he looks more impressive to me than Denzel Ward (slot corner only at NFL level) or Josh Jackson (hugely overrated). 

12 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

this is a really silly take 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree.  

Lattimore was the #2 player in the draft after Garrett for me.  How he ever made it to the Saints at #11 I simply have no idea. Lattimore is going to be the best corner in the league and I have no significant injury concerns. It wasn't the much talked about hammys that caused him to miss games this year.  It was a concussion and then he missed one game later with the kind of ankle injury that can happen to anyone.  

No slight on Tre.  He is an outstanding corner.  That was one hell of a corner class.  I think the number 5 or 6 corner last year (who was the Jackson kid that went to Tennessee on my board) would be the #1 corner this year (if you think Fitzpatrick is a safety at least). I have just started to watch some of the UCF kid though and so far he looks more impressive to me than Denzel Ward (slot corner only at NFL level) or Josh Jackson (hugely overrated). 

I’m a little higher on this class than you are but agree that last year was better. Denzel Ward specifically, is a guy that I think will be a really good pro despite his size. He moves effortlessly. I like Jackson too and haven’t seen a ton of the UCF kid. I’d say that this is a solid CB class (without a star like Lattimore). Last year was a great CB class. 

8 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

My fault everyone.  you're absolutely correct that the Saints defense hasn't been established or the greatest.  Just like everyone on here, my passion for the Bills is through the roof.  I just wanna point out the Lattimore was expected to produce right away, while Tre wasn't.  So the fact that Tre completely exceeded expectations should rank him higher.  Sorry everyone, still a little bitter that he wasn't DROY. 

The list is numbers driven based on a variety of Next Gen Stats, so I'm not sure why you are complaining about bias.

Here are the qualifiers for these rankings:

» Only cornerbacks who played at least 350 snaps in coverage (34 total players) qualified for this list. This was set to establish a ranking of the top-level cornerbacks who played extensively as starters during the 2017 season.

» The final ranking was established by the cornerbacks who had the best score in the following four categories:

-- Passer rating allowed in coverage.
-- Catch rate (completion percentage allowed in coverage).
-- Yards allowed in coverage on a per-game basis.
-- Interception rate (interceptions divided by total targets).

» A composite score of the best players in all four categories was used, so that the rankings provided a balanced view of how the subjects performed this year. The lowest score signified the top performer. Passer rating allowed was used to break any ties.

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Denzel Ward specifically, is a guy that I think will be a really good pro despite his size. He moves effortlessly. 

As an Ohio State kid you will undoubtedly have seen more of him than me - do you think he can play outside?  I am very, very sceptical.  To me he lacks size, struggles to get his head round when defending deep balls and gets blown up by any receiver that can block in the run game.  He might go on to be a top end nickel. A lot of people are saying "Chris Harris Jnr." That is very top end ceiling to me and he would have to be that good for me to say definite 1st round grade.  To me as it is he is right on that 1st/2nd borderline.  He'd have been the 6th or 7th corner on my board last year depending on whether you included the Washington corner who got injured.  He will undoubtedly go in the 1st because teams always need corners and because I don't actually think this is a great draft. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As an Ohio State kid you will undoubtedly have seen more of him than me - do you think he can play outside?  I am very, very sceptical.  To me he lacks size, struggles to get his head round when defending deep balls and gets blown up by any receiver that can block in the run game.  He might go on to be a top end nickel. A lot of people are saying "Chris Harris Jnr." That is very top end ceiling to me and he would have to be that good for me to say definite 1st round grade.  To me as it is he is right on that 1st/2nd borderline.  He'd have been the 6th or 7th corner on my board last year depending on whether you included the Washington corner who got injured.  He will undoubtedly go in the 1st because teams always need corners and because I don't actually think this is a great draft. 

He’s better outside than you think. He’s longer than his size would suggest. Teams stopped throwing at him. He looks like a slot corner and can bump inside but he can certainly play on the boundary. He may struggle some against physical receivers in the run and pass game but there is little separation and he has good ball skills. He would be an excellent anecdote for really precise route runners in my opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh Jackson (hugely overrated). 

Why do you think that? Is it coverage (man vs. zone) or physical skill set, or some thing else?

Personally I think he has elite level zone skills, plus. Man coverage needs work and his grade would drop IMO if that is the primary grading criteria.

Edited by P51
IMO

59 minutes ago, P51 said:

Why do you think that? Is it coverage (man vs. zone) or physical skill set, or some thing else?

Personally I think he has elite level zone skills, plus. Man coverage needs work and his grade would drop IMO if that is the primary grading criteria.

Real small sample and just I don't think he is elite at anything.  I think he is fine but I don't see special anywhere.  Mid 2nd round player who if you needed a corner in the first 10 picks on day 2 I'd be fine taking.  Think he will be a starting corner in the league, but you are not looking at someone who can be a lockdown corner, take away half of the field or change the way offenses attack you in my opinion.