Best movie openings?

Roundybout

33 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Saving Private Ryan

I live in Los Angeles as I think you know. I rarely if ever go to movies the first day they are released. Like maybe three ever.

The day Private Ryan was released I had a meeting at Amblin Studios, which is on the Universal Lot. Since Amblin is Speilberg's company everyone was talking about it being a huge hit there.

After the meeting was over I thought, what the hell, it's late Friday afternoon, I am going to have to battle the LA traffic, I will stay here (maybe drive a half mile still on the Universal grounds) and go see Private Ryan, which I heard was terrific. Movies I know I will see I try not to read anything about them before I go. I knew this was a Tom Hanks war movie but that was about it. Most of the reviews hadn't come out yet as LA gets a bunch of them before other cities.

So I am sitting there watching Saving Private Ryan at Universal Studios multiplex which has like 18 theatres, and as you posted, that first seen is incredible. One of the best and probably the most intense ever.

And I would say at least a third of the audience ran for the hills. Ha.

Dozens and dozens of mothers had taken their kids to see the latest Tom Hanks movie. The four before that were Forrest Gump, Toy Story, Apollo 13 and That Thing You Do! They knew nothing about it like I didn't. And they were horrified. Covering their little six year old's eyes as they were dragging them up the aisle by the hair. It was both hysterical, and hysterical. :D

I later had to watch the first ten minutes again because I missed so much watching these MILFs dragging their kids out of there.

Awesome opening scene though. Although not as entertaining as my experience.

At least as horrified

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I live in Los Angeles as I think you know. I rarely if ever go to movies the first day they are released. Like maybe three ever.

The day Private Ryan was released I had a meeting at Amblin Studios, which is on the Universal Lot. Since Amblin is Speilberg's company everyone was talking about it being a huge hit there.

After the meeting was over I thought, what the hell, it's late Friday afternoon, I am going to have to battle the LA traffic, I will stay here (maybe drive a half mile still on the Universal grounds) and go see Private Ryan, which I heard was terrific. Movies I know I will see I try not to read anything about them before I go. I knew this was a Tom Hanks war movie but that was about it. Most of the reviews hadn't come out yet as LA gets a bunch of them before other cities.

So I am sitting there watching Saving Private Ryan at Universal Studios multiplex which has like 18 theatres, and as you posted, that first seen is incredible. One of the best and probably the most intense ever.

Dozens and dozens of mothers had taken their kids to see the latest Tom Hanks movie. The four before that were Forrest Gump, Toy Story, Apollo 13 and That Thing You Do! They knew nothing about it like I didn't. And they were horrified. Covering their little six year old's eyes as they were dragging them up the aisle by the hair. It was both hysterical, and hysterical. :D

I later had to watch the first ten minutes again because I missed so much watching these MILFs dragging their kids out of there.

At least as horrified

That's the MILF's fault.  I remember before SPR even came out there were concerns that it was too graphic and should be toned down.  So they were warned ahead of time

And as far as being too graphic, I remember seeing interviews with Normandy survivors who commended Hanks and Spielberg for showing a more realistic combat scene than the typical Hollywood sugar coating

On 2/10/2018 at 8:13 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

At least as horrified

Funny, I was the complete opposite.  It had been out for about two months but my ex didn't want to see it, so I found a guy at work in the same boat and we went together after work one day.  There were maybe ten people in the whole theater.