If Darnold doesn’t go #1

Dkollidas

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Personally I don't like Mayfield because he's stupid enough to not understand OSU sings Carmen Ohio with the band after every game, win or lose, away or home, take deep offense that it's somehow disrespectful to Oklahoma and carry it all calendar year long that he needs to plant a flag in mid field at Ohio Stadium to get revenge.  That crosses the line from competitive to idiot in my book.  Add in the offseason arrest, antics in Kansas, bringing the sign into the Georgia game then choking the game away, dude is entire too emotional to expect to make rational decisions in razor thin games week in and week out at the NFL level IMO.

Because Cousins has a choice on where he plays, unless the Redskins tag and trade him.  Personally Cousins is my choice A, and if he chooses us pay the man and use our draft picks to build around him.  But he's got a choice.

I get he’s got a choice but we’ll know before the draft. Money talks. Make it happen. 

12 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

3 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and Glenn?

That is definitely "full ditka"

I am not at all I n board with that.  I prefer paying a lot less for Jackson or Mayfield.  

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Personally I don't like Mayfield because he's stupid enough to not understand OSU sings Carmen Ohio with the band after every game, win or lose, away or home, take deep offense that it's somehow disrespectful to Oklahoma and carry it all calendar year long that he needs to plant a flag in mid field at Ohio Stadium to get revenge.  That crosses the line from competitive to idiot in my book.  Add in the offseason arrest, antics in Kansas, bringing the sign into the Georgia game then choking the game away, dude is entire too emotional to expect to make rational decisions in razor thin games week in and week out at the NFL level IMO.

Because Cousins has a choice on where he plays, unless the Redskins tag and trade him.  Personally Cousins is my choice A, and if he chooses us pay the man and use our draft picks to build around him.  But he's got a choice.

On board with that.  We can really bolster our D with draft 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

I know they are just hi lite videos, but Rudolph may be better than some people think.

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Continue to use decades old RBs to justify your misguided belief and to dodge responding to anything I said regarding the current NFL fact that a QB is dramatically more important to a team's success than any other position.

Yes, Hitler, as in an example that opinions can be wrong, and to think otherwise is just false.

Your opinion that you should always draft BPA and that a RB like Barkley is an impactful as a top QB is wrong.

So is your assertion that because there isn't a consensus #1 between the QBs that all should then be avoided.

Keep living in the past regarding what can and cannot consistently win in the NFL though.

For the record I would NEVER, EVER say Hitler was a great man.  Having said that IF someone here by some chance said Hitler was a great man and thought that mortgaging the farm for a QB that nobody can predict the outcome of was a fantastic idea where does this person stand with you?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

For the record I would NEVER, EVER say Hitler was a great man.  Having said that IF someone here by some chance said Hitler was a great man and thought that mortgaging the farm for a QB that nobody can predict the outcome of was a fantastic idea where does this person stand with you?

That actually made me laugh Rob. (In a good way, I'm thanks :) )

I would say that while Hitler was a terrible person, and anything else other than that is wrong, that incorrect thought process is completely independent of that same person's hypothetical wish to mortgage the farm for a QB they believed to be the gospel, which cannot be proven correct or not until said player in the league.

Bottom line is, if you trade 3 first round picks to move up (one of which was extra capital earned by trading down last year and hitting a home run with White) then in reality you are only giving up one extra pick (next year's first) which looks to be a average at best draft.

If the QB tanks, so be it.

If the QB is a home run, then you're set for a decade.

That's all I'm saying.

Edited by SouthNYfan

Darnold is a good maybe very good QB prospect, but if you think you want to trade 21, 22 and at least another high pick for him, go watch his USC vs Notre Dame game last season.  I did not see him come remotely close to carrying USC in that game.  I get that it was only one game, but if you are giving up a great deal to get him, I think you are hoping that he can carry your offense.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have him for a reasonable price - heck I'd be happy with a QB that at least gives you a chance to win in most situation - it has been a long time since the Bills have had that.  

I am not opposed to trading up to secure a QB prospect in this draft.  I can even see the argument to trade 21 and 22 to move up for the right prospect, but I really am leery of giving up more than that.  Unfortunately, I don't think that is enough to get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield.  I might be content to 21 and a 2nd to move up a little and take Jackson or Rudolph and still have pick 22 left.    I am also not as down on Josh Allen as many here?  

I haven't watched as many games as some here, but I think that both Jackson and Rudolph are better than they are generally being given credit for.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow! You are just so angry!

Maybe you should just start ignoring me for your own sake 0:)

Why do I like Mayfield the most? To answer your question he's a winner and he's gritty and has this competitive fire that reminds me of Jim Kelly. He seems very immature but I think if he got in with the right coach who could harness his competitiveness. He also seems to have great pocket presence, can escape pressure, and is very accurate. He's completely willing to throw the ball just about anywhere on the field and has NFL arm strength even if it's not Elite.

I like darnold a lot, but his turnover problem is what makes me like him second to Mayfield.

Rosen scares me a bit because of his injury history and his reported lack of love for the game.

Do I watch college football? No. As I watched some? Yes. Do I pay attention to what happens via News, highlights, and scores on things like ESPN? Yes.

I asked an honest question and gave a few thoughts, but of course you have to be confrontational.

Hey man you asked a question so I asked you a question, I did not mean to sound snippy towards you, sorry if you took it that way. 

Thank you for your honest answer, nice to see a topic we are both talking about that does not have the last QB name in it we all so often talk about. I agree with your assessment but I tend to really like Rosen as well because of his talent that is unmatched to anyone in this draft IMO. I like all 3 and Rudolph. I would be happy with any of them 4 but I do like Mayfield and Darnold the most. Have a good day

12 hours ago, Estro said:

I think Darnold is and will be the apple of the Bills brass eye.  I think the murmurs you've heard recently of the Bills liking Rosen are smoke that is being put out intentionally.  Rosen's durability issues and his lack of pocket presence are concerns I don't see the Bills selling the farm to go get.  Darnold, OTOH, I think he's a future top tier QB in the NFL.  I think the sweet spot for the Bills to trade up is in the #2-#7 spots.  If, and I think it's a huge if, the Browns pass on Darnold I'd expect the Bills to being working the lines hard.  With all of the other teams that need a QB, and my view of Darnold as the best QB, I think it's going to be tough to leapfrog so many teams that might be also looking to trade up.  

In the end I think the Browns will select Darnold #1, which to me ends the possibility of the Bills making a huge move up in the draft.  As for Baker Mayfield.....not  a fan.  

To say Rosen has durability concerns might be a fair accusation but lack of pocket presence? That has never been a knock on him, where did you hear such things?

I see nothing wrong with them drafting a QB in the late 1st or one of our 2nd round picks. As long as we allow him to develop. We still don't know what we have in Peterman. I remember Jimmy G vs the Bills and he didn't look good (The final Marrone Game), fast forward 2.5 years later look at him now.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah, why would a QB want to join a playoff team?

If Buffalo and Denver both offer Cousins the same money on the same contract. Where do you honestly think he wants to play?

We both know its not Buffalo. We haven't been back to the POs enough to be called a steady contender. Were building. Were missing a few pieces still. Do you not know how the rest of the league sees us?

I dont give a fk. But players do, its their livleyhood. They wanna compete.

13 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I dont think any QB wants to come here.

But they would rather join a 5-11 Broncos squad who are lightyears removed from their SB run? The entire coaching staff and QB are gone from that SB team.

The Jets? The Dolphins? The Cardinals? 

The Bills are arguably the most stable of all those options. We have a decent amount of cap room. We have a buttload of picks. We have a GM and HC that made the playoffs in their first season. 

Edited by bobobonators

16 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

If Buffalo and Denver both offer Cousins the same money on the same contract. Where do you honestly think he wants to play?

We both know its not Buffalo. We haven't been back to the POs enough to be called a steady contender. Were building. Were missing a few pieces still. Do you not know how the rest of the league sees us?

I dont give a fk. But players do, its their livleyhood. They wanna compete.

The entire league sees us as you do?  Please.  And Denver isn't missing pieces?  Please.

With respect to Cousins, read the article about him in si a couple months ago.  He and McD would practically be soulmates.

It's kind of a vain hope but my hope is that the teams at the top of the draft don't evaluate the QBs the same way the Bills scouts do.  And it turns out the Bills are right.

In other words, I'm hoping the QB that Beane is targeting either drops to us or drops low enough that we can get him without pulling a 'full Ditka'.  

I'm a Bills fan, after all.  I'm always full of unreasonable hope. 

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Three first and Glenn could get it done.  It is a lot but the way they are talking about Glenn he doesn't factor into the long term plans.  

look at It like this over the course of the three drafts your get a top notch corner and a potential Franchise qb.  A lot of team would have less to show for three first rounder's

What I think will happened is The Broncos move to number 2 then the Jets move to number 3 .  Allen and Rudolph fall until the Cards or Bills make a move or wait.  

If one of the playoff team with an older vet or Bortles might want to trade up to 21 which would be interesting choice for the Bills  

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The entire league sees us as you do?  Please.  And Denver isn't missing pieces?  Please.

With respect to Cousins, read the article about him in si a couple months ago.  He and McD would practically be soulmates.

Youre being a homer and thats cool.

Cousins and Beane? Based on what? Common interests?

If you want to win you go to the team you think gives you the best pieces to win with. 

Guarantee you Cousins doesnt come here. Without using my "inside sources" and #HLBMs.