now for all of youz that said foles was a mediocre backkup...

55 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

He had had all day to throw but tight windows he had to fit the throws into 

and he fit every throw in there 

pats gave him all day and he took the challenge 

He did throw into tight windows. The skinny on Foles has been that with time to throw he will be excellent, but if he gets disrupted he has major problems. Nobody likes disruptions but Foles has bad problems with it. The Philly OL did a terrific job there, terrific. The Pats couldn't rush him.

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I confess I thought there was no way Foles had that in him. Always considered him in that Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown type class of Quarterback who had that one great year before people really began to cotton on to Chip's offense. 

He has been great in the postseason though, no doubt. And he will be a starter again next year.  

This was how I saw him too. He was as cool as the other side of the pillow in the SB and had a great run in the playoffs. He has a different demeanor than a lot of other people. He truly seems humbled by his experiences, yet confident in his ability. I have manned up and accepted my plate of crow. :thumbsup: 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2018 at 10:42 PM, oldmanfan said:

He was a mediocre backup. But he's improved a lot.  Had a great game tonight.

I feel like he is a good starting QB in the right system and a bad one when not.  The 27 TDs against only 2 INTs when he last started in Philly and his failure with the Rams is proof of that.  He isn't going to dominate based on talent alone.  If our new offensive coordinator is competent picking up Foles might be a good course of action.  Assuming he is available.     

On 2/4/2018 at 10:23 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Not everyone said he was a mediocre backup.  He didn't play that much other than in 2013.  Being comfortable and getting into a rhythm helps.

You're right, some said he was "garbage" or a "mess"

23 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I feel like he is a good starting QB in the right system and a bad one when not.  The 27 TDs against only 2 INTs when he last started in Philly and his failure with the Rams is proof of that.  He isn't going to dominate based on talent alone.  If our new offensive coordinator is competent picking up Foles might be a good course of action.  Assuming he is available.     

I wonder how many QB actually can dominate by talent alone in today's NFL?

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

QBs don't have win-loss records. Teams do. That stat is called "TEAM record in games started by this QB (Regular Season)"

Agreed.

Foles' third year in Philly - his second year under Shurmur - he was much worse than he'd been in his second year. Look at his TD/INT ratios, his yards per attempt, his yards per game, his INT percentages (insanely good 0.6% to bad 3.2%)

That's been the story, but when you look at the details, I'm not clear how much it's true.  Foles YPG actually went UP (from 222 to 270).  His YPA went down from "astounding" to "high quality" (>=7).  The big change for the worse was the number of interceptions.  Looked at more globally as a second year starter, they were bad but not awful..

There's a couple of other factors possibly in play:

1) they changed WR. Deshaun Jackson (major) and Jason Avant out.  Jeremy Maclin and Jordan Matthews in.   Now Maclin is quality, but his catch % during the first half of the season sucked, until just before Foles broke his collarbone.  I think it's fair to say he and Foles were not "in sync".

2) their starting LG was IR first half of the season (and RG 2nd half of the season), so he was probably dealing with more pressure and less time to throw.   Shady's run yardage also dropped off, probably for the same reason.

I think that Foles, as most 2nd year starters, was getting more comfortable (and being coached) to take more shots (which as we've seen he is not at all afraid to do).

But add in new-to-him WR with whom he might have less rapport, and a decrease in OL quality giving him less time to throw, and it's easy to see how that could turn into more INT - similar to the Jeffries one where a slightly off target throw got batted back onto the field and picked.  It's not an uncommon story for even a known good QB - look at Matty Ryan 2016 vs 2017.

All that is complicated, though.  It's easier to just give the usual answer that defenses were solving Kelly and shutting Foles down and Foles wasn't nearly as good.  Mmm, they were shutting him down and he was still throwing >300, >400 yd games.

No question he played well the last three weeks. How well would he have played if teams had seen him all year? Dunno, but I'd guess not nearly as well. It'll be interesting going forward to see what he becomes.

I think teams would have known more about what they might see and we'd see more picks, but when you have a WR or a RB who can outrun a fast DB, and a QB who can drop a dime into his arms, that's pretty damned hard to defend. 

Pederson is the interesting story.  He seems very flexible, so the question is would he continue to evolve and adapt and show new stuff.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, billsredneck1 said:

eat ****!!!!!

edit: 2/5  I apologize for starting this thread like this. I may have indulged during the game.....well maybe a little before too.

But, since there is legit discussion on Foles, I won't try to delete it.

He is still a mediocre back up QB long term.

Bills fans(including me) love him now and rightfully so. He slayed the Cheats when it mattered and we can rip Pats fans forever now for losing on the biggest stage to a journeyman career back up who wanted to retire two years ago to become a Pastor.

Divine intervention for sure.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

QBs don't have win-loss records. Teams do. That stat is called "TEAM record in games started by this QB (Regular Season)"

Foles' third year in Philly - his second year under Shurmur - he was much worse than he'd been in his second year. Look at his TD/INT ratios, his yards per attempt, his yards per game, his INT percentages (insanely good 0.6% to bad 3.2%)

No question he played well the last three weeks. How well would he have played if teams had seen him all year? Dunno, but I'd guess not nearly as well. It'll be interesting going forward to see what he becomes.

The bolded part is what I'm leery of with Foles, too.  DCs as well as many veteran defenders build up "books" on QBs based on film study.  The more they see of a QB in a specific offense, the more likely they are to figure out how to stop him.  With top QBs, that's not all that much of a problem because they're so good, but with lesser QBs, it becomes a problem because they're more limited.  The "book" on Tyrod Taylor is to confine him to the pocket and make him throw the ball to his check down receivers by covering his wide outs because he won't throw throw them open -- and the Bills didn't have any WRs who could get separation this past season.  Foles has very real limits to his game because he did struggle the second year in Philly as well as in his other stops.   My guess is that if the Pats' defense could have taken away the RPOs, Foles wouldn't have looked nearly so good ... but Philly's great OL prevented that ... at least in the short term.  If Belichick had more time and film, he probably would have figured out how to significantly limit Foles' effectiveness.

13 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree.  A lot of Bills fans just don't realize how important offensive coordinators are to a QB. 

Foles went 1-5 under OC Marty Mornhinweg in his first year in Philly. 

Foles went 8-2 under OC Pat Shurmur in his second year in Philly.

Foles went 8-8 under OC Pat Shurmur in his third year in Philly. ** the offense wasn't the problem as they were #3 in PF, #5 in Yards. The defense, however, was near dead last.

Foles went 4-7 under OC's Rob Boras, Frank Cignetti in St Louis. QB Case Keenum was also there that year and went 3-2. 

Foles went 1-0 under OC Brad Childress with Andy Reid calling plays.

Foles is not the type of QB that you can send anywhere and be successful. When he has a quality OC and knows the scheme he plays brilliantly. 

11 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Guys, look at ALL of his games. The guy is Joe Flacco and went on a nice run. He also had all day to throw during the Super Bowl and had many weapons. 

He's not a long-term answer for the Bills. 

Jeff Fischer (.414 win percentage during his 5 years as Rams HC) and Rob Boras (Buffalo Bills TE Coach) as Offensive Coordinator?

I think you can not count his 4-7 Rams record.

IMHO.

Right coach, right system he will thrive. Doug Pederson, a back up his entire career, is the perfect coach and play caller for Foles. Personally i doubt Foles ever plays as well as he did in the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.  There are examples all over the place of guys getting on a hot streak. Foles will be back with Philly and the opening day starter i have to think. 

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree.  A lot of Bills fans just don't realize how important offensive coordinators are to a QB. 

Foles went 1-5 under OC Marty Mornhinweg in his first year in Philly. 

Foles went 8-2 under OC Pat Shurmur in his second year in Philly.

Foles went 8-8 under OC Pat Shurmur in his third year in Philly. ** the offense wasn't the problem as they were #3 in PF, #5 in Yards. The defense, however, was near dead last.

Foles went 4-7 under OC's Rob Boras, Frank Cignetti in St Louis. QB Case Keenum was also there that year and went 3-2. 

Foles went 1-0 under OC Brad Childress with Andy Reid calling plays.

Foles is not the type of QB that you can send anywhere and be successful. When he has a quality OC and knows the scheme he plays brilliantly. 

Nihilarian,

You might want to edit your post..................Foles went 6-2 before getting injured not 8-8 that year.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Jeff Fischer (.414 win percentage during his 5 years as Rams HC) and Rob Boras (Buffalo Bills TE Coach) as Offensive Coordinator?

I think you can not count his 4-7 Rams record.

IMHO.

This is actually a good point.

• Thank you (+1) 1