Cousins to Denver?

Kind of strange that these things are happening so quickly. You would think someone else could potentially swoop in and raise the stakes since anything announced is not official.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Von Miller is already talking it up. Good trade for both sides.

Trade? Interesting, does that mean they would have to sign him first since he's a free agent?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard this is done deal as well as Mccarron to Browns. Not sure how the trade is going down with Denver but hearing it is a sign and trade and involves aqib Talib.

That makes a lot of sense, and partly explains why they felt comfortable with trading Fuller. I still wouldn't like the way it all went down if I were a Redskins fan but it's a little better now.

I don't get it.   Did the Redskins cut Cousins?   If not, he can't be talking to Denver; it violates his contract with Washington.   It's tampering.   And if they DID cut him, doesn't Denver talking to him violate the free agency rules?    What am I missing?

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I don't get it.   Did the Redskins cut Cousins?   If not, he can't be talking to Denver; it violates his contract with Washington.   It's tampering.   And if they DID cut him, doesn't Denver talking to him violate the free agency rules?    What am I missing?

I'm guessing Cousins gets traded. I don't think you need to make public if permission was given to talk to other teams. 

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If Wash allows his agent to talk to Denver it’s not tampering. No FA rules involved if it’s a trade 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought that since Cousins was under contract last season that in turn means he is not able to negotiate until March.  I thought working trades at this point was against the spirit of the rules.  Oh well, I might learn something new today.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm guessing Cousins gets traded. I don't think you need to make public if permission was given to talk to other teams. 

Thanks.  Those are both good points.   But can he get traded if he isn't under contract for 2018?    He isn't under contract until he's franchised and he's signed.  

It may be true, but it seems kind of odd in this situation.  

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't be surprised in this case if the Redskins told Cousins that if you don't want to be here then go to the market and get back to us so we can work out a compensation deal. 

Edited by JohnC

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I thought that since Cousins was under contract last season that in turn means he is not able to negotiate until March.  I thought working trades at this point was against the spirit of the rules.  Oh well, I might learn something new today.

See Yolo's post above.

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He's not under contract with Washington.  He's an unrestricted free agent.  Washington hasn't tagged him either, so they have no rights.

I would also expect Cousins to do his search more deliberately than this.   Washington didn't tell him to look for a deal until they locked up Smith, at least I wouldn't think so, so that means Cousins made a decision really fast.   Maybe he knew all along.