What did you learn from the Smith Trade?

Virgil

This isn't specifically about Alex Smith, moreso the entire NFL offseason and how this one move really set the table for a lot other moves.  Also, we are starting to see moves that you typically only see in the MLB.

1. The value of the QB is as high as we've ever seen it.  Let's just say that Smith is a 10-15 rated QB, which is generous in my opinion.  For him to net that much guaranteed money is crazy to me.  Getting 23 mil a year for his performance is going to reset the entire QB market, moreso than Carr and Stafford.  From that, I think we will see:
    1. Cousins may get the first fully guaranteed contract in NFL History
    2. Cousins may get 30 mil a year
    3. If McCaron's hit the market, I think he will eclipse the crazy contract that Osweiler got.
  2. Trading the rights of players could become a thing
    1. The Chiefs were cash strapped and if it weren't such a high demand position, Smith could easily have been cut or asked to renegotiate.  In recent years, most other teams would have just waited for that to happen.  Not only was he not cut, but he was traded for a really high value just for the rights to him.  It also happened with Garropolo.  Maybe there's more of a precedent for this that I'm not thinking of, but it feels more like the baseball All-Star trading deadline where teams are getting players with limited contracts left in hopes to get a leg up on negotiating rights or use of the franchise tag.
    2. While we all have mixed opinions on Tyrod, I think most would agree he would be a solid backup and an improvement for some teams as a starter.  I still don't understand the cap restrictions with trading him because of his option, but I think there would be a market for him as well.  If Smith got a 3rd and a player, we could possibly get a 4th for TT.  Whether that would be worth it because of the cap hit, I don't know.
  3. The Browns aren't sold on the rookie QB class
    1. The reports said that 6 teams were interested in Smith, but only the Browns and Redskins were working on a trade.  Since the Smith contract extension was announced so quickly, it has to be assumed that the extension was a prerequisite of the trade.  Assuming more, the Browns knew that Smith wanted and extension with the trade and were in on that.  TO ME, that would indicate that they were better with Smith as their starter for the next 4-5 years than using either of their top 4 picks on a QB.  Yes, it's the Browns, but still interesting to me.  It also shows that they are officially looking for a QB upgrade, which some did think they might try to go with what they had.
  4. Of the teams needing QB's, we have the 2nd most cap space
    1. If we do want Cousins, we are in good shape to go after him from a total cap perspective.  The Broncos would have to cut and they have some expiring contracts.  However, I believe we have the most expiring contracts of any team, so we will need some cap.  If Glenn checks out as healthy, I could see him traded since McDermott has his love affair with Dawkins.  But, I again don't know the cap hit of that trade.
  5. The number of teams needing a QB dropped by 1 and I think other teams are better off than they would want you to think. 
    1. Browns (Picks 1 and 4) - Will take a QB
    2. Giants - (Pick 2) - Has a lot of holes and say they want to stick with Eli - Trade Back Partner #1
    3. Colts - Pick 3 - I don't think McDaniels takes that job unless he knows Luck is good to go - Trade Back Partner #2
    4. Broncos - Pick 5 - Need a QB and could trade up to make sure no one jumps them (Could also make cap space and go after Cousins)
    5. Jets - Pick 6 - Need a QB and could trade up to make sure no one jumps them (Definitely has cap space for Cousins)
    6. Picks 7-14 all have QB's and only the Cardinals at 15 could use a QB.
      1. With all of that, Cousins has to go somewhere, which leaves 3 teams ahead of us that need a QB.  As it stands, if Allen is taken by one of them, that would leave us with Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen as the leftover, which I'm sure most of us would be fine with.

The most important thing I've learned from last night is that this offseason is going to be a lot of fun and I'm glad I have this place to talk it out with people

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think the Colts are a trade partner regardless of McDaniels.  They will take the best defensive player in the draft in Chubb or Barkley at HB.  I don't see them moving themselves out of the range of those two players.

The Dolphins ARE in the QB market if their senior bowl discussions are to be taken seriously.

Edited by NewEraBills

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

I don't think the Colts are a trade partner regardless of McDaniels.  They will take the best defensive player in the draft in Chubb or Barkley at HB.  I don't see them moving themselves out of the range of those two players.

The Dolphins ARE in the QB market if their senior bowl discussions are to be taken seriously.

What senior bowl discussions?

The Browns will be in the discussion for Cousins.

The Bills need to give up whatever it takes to get "their guy" in the draft."  Trying to get an actual strong QB talent in FA is ridiculous.  Just go give up the draft picks and get your guy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PIZ said:

What senior bowl discussions?

Dolphins had extensive meeting with Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen at the Senior bowl.  The Jets did as well.  The Saints and the Bills were also on the list of having extensive meeting with Mayfield.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 - $60+ million is the new "guaranteed" for QB's that are perceived as being good enough to start.

2 - The Redskins were either not convinced that Cousins is the guy, or convinced that he would have costed them a lot more than Alex Smith did.

3 - The Chiefs were convinced that Alex Smith was not the guy and that it was more important to get a talented young cornerback.

4 - The Chiefs were convinced that Mahomes is the guy going forward.

5 - With other free agents that will be out there like Cousins and two of the three of Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford, there is no trade market for Taylor based on his contract this year.  I seriously doubt that anyone either pays his $16 guaranteed or renegotiates, presumably at an even higher guaranteed amount if they renegotiate an extension.

6 - There's nobody that I want as a "bridge" quarterback.  This team has had bridge quarterbacks for almost two decades.  If there is someone that's head and shoulders better than everyone else for Buffalo, you do what's needed to trade up to get him.  If not, you stay put.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

1 - $60+ million is the new "guaranteed" for QB's that are perceived as being good enough to start.

2 - The Redskins were either not convinced that Cousins is the guy, or convinced that he would have costed them a lot more than Alex Smith did.

3 - The Chiefs were convinced that Alex Smith was not the guy and that it was more important to get a talented young cornerback.

4 - The Chiefs were convinced that Mahomes is the guy going forward.

5 - With other free agents that will be out there like Cousins and two of the three of Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford, there is no trade market for Taylor based on his contract this year.  I seriously doubt that anyone either pays his $16 guaranteed or renegotiates, presumably at an even higher guaranteed amount if they renegotiate an extension.

6 - There's nobody that I want as a "bridge" quarterback.  This team has had bridge quarterbacks for almost two decades.  If there is someone that's head and shoulders better than everyone else for Buffalo, you do what's needed to trade up to get him.  If not, you stay put.

You realise a bridge QB would be someone brought in to play until you feel the guy you just drafted is ready to take over (like what Smith was in KC for Mahommes this year). So they would be doing what's needed to get their guy, and getting a veteran to come in and play until you feel the rookie is ready.

What I learned from all of this, Washington may be in the running to take the title of worst front office/franchise from the Browns......

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

I learned that just maybe the chiefs simply wanted Smith out of the AFC. 

And moved him too the NFC. 

Well rumor is that the Redskins and Browns were talking to KC about a deal and they made the deal with the redskins getting a player back who can start right away for them. Chances are the Browns were only going to be able to give up picks sinve theres very little other talent to swap, and im sure part of the deal for both teams looking for gim included signing an extension, so he probably agreed to the extension with the Redskins over one with the Browns

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Browns aren't sold on the rookie QB class

1. The reports said that 6 teams were interested in Smith, but only the Browns and Redskins were working on a trade.  Since the Smith contract extension was announced so quickly, it has to be assumed that the extension was a prerequisite of the trade.  Assuming more, the Browns knew that Smith wanted and extension with the trade and were in on that.  TO ME, that would indicate that they were better with Smith as their starter for the next 4-5 years than using either of their top 4 picks on a QB.  Yes, it's the Browns, but still interesting to me.  It also shows that they are officially looking for a QB upgrade, which some did think they might try to go with what they had

(Edited your post to focus on the most interesting point)

It is interesting news to me that the Browns were working on a trade and contract extension for Smith.

Unless you have more gouge on what they offered, not sure it means they thought they'd be better for 4 years with Smith.  Maybe they offered more of a bridge contract with possibly higher per year, but less guaranteed and an "out" after 2 years to allow them to dump him in favor of an emerging starter.  Kind of what I thought the Redskins had done until the contract details emerged

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

You realise a bridge QB would be someone brought in to play until you feel the guy you just drafted is ready to take over (like what Smith was in KC for Mahommes this year). So they would be doing what's needed to get their guy, and getting a veteran to come in and play until you feel the rookie is ready.

What I learned from all of this, Washington may be in the running to take the title of worst front office/franchise from the Browns......

Of course, but the only circumstance where that seems applicable to me is if they're taking yet another developmental guy either later in the first round or even after.  If they trade up, like some are suggesting, to "get their guy", he plays right away.  Otherwise, trading up isn't smart.