Should we throw Peterman on the trash heap for 1 bad outing?

Sky Diver

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Taylor ran a "pro offense" in 2015 and 2016 when the Bills had an OC who gave the Bills a "pro offense".   The "primitive passing offense" was courtesy of Dennison's failings as well as the stupid personnel decisions made by the Bills FO in shipping out all of the Bills starting WRs from 2015 and 2016 as well as letting Gillislee leave, too.

I say this with respect: Your post is utter nonsense. Taylor is inaccurate, can't throw with anticipation and can't read defenses. He has started for the Bills for three years with no evidence of progressing as a qb. He is what he is. Enough is enough. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just watch the tape of that entire game. Our offensive line was a complete and utter disgrace and probably the worst game they played all year. Yes Nate Peterman had a bad game and 3 of the interceptions were totally on him. But I believe he will improve he may not be a starter but he'll be a very good backup. He will need to build up his arm strength and velocity just like a pitcher.

Shouldn't Peterman have already worked on his arm strength and velocity if he harbored thoughts of playing in the NFL?

38 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I have seen your posts in previous rtacks and you definitely do not trust the process the Bill's are trying to get the team better. The juvenile comments from 26 are out of lone but i expect them from your posts.

Sorry, but even though the Bills made the playoffs in 2017, there's no proof that "the process the Bill's are trying to get the team better" actually works.  Neither McDermott nor Beane have built a successful team on their own; they've only been part of successful teams built by others.   Certainly Peterman's poor performance doesn't inspire confidence in Team McBean.

I'd throw Tyrod in the trash heap for his 3 point games against the Jaguars, Panthers and The Patriots. 

I'm not sure about Nate yet. If he sucks as as bad as Tyrod given as much time to find a groove then I'd say toss him. One bad game isn't enough. I sat through a lot of bad Tyrod before I was really done.

Although I will have to agree with a few people on this post that he has some work to do to prove he can be viable and it's not looking good. 

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Shouldn't Peterman have already worked on his arm strength and velocity if he harbored thoughts of playing in the NFL?

Sorry, but even though the Bills made the playoffs in 2017, there's no proof that "the process the Bill's are trying to get the team better" actually works.  Neither McDermott nor Beane have built a successful team on their own; they've only been part of successful teams built by others.   Certainly Peterman's poor performance doesn't inspire confidence in Team McBean.

and apparently playoff appearance doesn't either.  i'm not saying anyone needs to give the new staff the benefit of the doubt, but it's amazing how some of the bitter posters couldn't wait to go back to being bitter.  

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You have a call waiting from Steve Young, one of the best quarterbacks ever, simply because he could do everything from the pocket, AND run. Which made him better than all of the players who were equally great from the pocket.

What is the point of your post? I'm confused because if you are in some way making a comparison between Young's game and Taylor's game then your reasoning is far fetched. Young was a gifted athletic qb. There is no doubt about that He also possessed laser accuracy, made anticipatory throws and could read defenses. He is one of the best qbs in the history of the game. Mentioning Taylor in the same sentence with Young is very odd.  

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

He had 2 bad outings. Add in the playoff game and he only completed 44% of his passes with 6 ints and also 2 fumbles that we recovered. He throws an int on 11% of his throws!

I would bring in a vet and also draft a QB and let them all battle it out. Peterman doesn't have the arm strength plus he spazzes out under pressure. I am highly confident he would be on the outside looking in if we actually had some QB's on the roster that could play.

You see, this ignores the whole "time" element. Going by your logic, if TB threw an INT on his first pass as a RC, amd only that pass during a game, then he'd throw an INT 100% of the time. And, therefore he sucks. 

We can do better. 

The answer is to work on the guy for one more year and see if the coaching staff can develop him. 

I'd still rather him than TT, at this point. But, if I were a coach, I wouldnt. 

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

He can move in the pocket and is fairly mobile. The problem is in the SD game was that he immediately had a defensive lineman in his face on a number of plays.

The problem is that there is a neural circuit in a good NFL QB's brain that tells him "don't throw the pass with a defensive lineman in your face who will deflect the ball or hit you as you throw".  At best, one would have to say that neural circuit is under-developed in Peterman at present, and he needs to put it on an exercise program and make it do (mental) pushups.  And even then, under stress, most of us revert to the previous decades of behavior.

Here is the "Weakness" section of his NFL.com draft profile, which I find prescient:

Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

First off, I don't think that starting him at an away game was the best decision, Plus, he got no help from the offensive line. On at least a couple of the interceptions he was hit as he was releasing the ball.

Peterman was clearly brought in because Taylor wasn't throwing the ball downfield. Consequently he overcompensated and should have the eaten the ball in a couple of cases where he tried to make plays.

I'll reserve judgment on Peterman until the Bills strengthen the offensive line.

Peterman stays.....but needs to be #3 on depth chart

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is the point of your post? I'm confused because if you are in some way making a comparison between Young's game and Taylor's game then your reasoning is far fetched. Young was a gifted athletic qb. There is no doubt about that He also possessed laser accuracy, made anticipatory throws and could read defenses. He is one of the best qbs in the history of the game. Mentioning Taylor in the same sentence with Young is very odd.  

I could be wrong, but I believe KtD was responding to your general statement "I want the running qb out! If you can't run a pro offense you shouldn't be taking starter snaps. The era of a Pop Warner passing offense needs to immediately end."

He's not comparing Taylor and Young, he's saying that a general dis on a running QB or a QB who is slow to pick up a pro offense as "Pop Warner" is uncalled for.   Young did have 2 failed years as starter with his first team, then 4 years warming the bench in SF, it's not like he walked in, was great.

I think that's the point.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Joe Webb will be working for Mighty Taco when we release him. I would Trade Webb and Taylor in a package deal for a Taco Supreme.

I wouldn't give you a free cup of water for that.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I believe KtD was responding to your general statement "I want the running qb out! If you can't run a pro offense you shouldn't be taking starter snaps. The era of a Pop Warner passing offense needs to immediately end."

He's not comparing Taylor and Young, he's saying that a general dis on a running QB or a QB who is slow to pick up a pro offense as "Pop Warner" is uncalled for.  I think.

My comment about the running qb was referring to Taylor. On this topic in my multiple posts I was referring to Taylor and whether he should be retained. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not comparing the two at all. Hence the reason I didn't mention Taylor's name once or make any inference. The point is that Taylor isn't a running quarterback, he's a quarterback who can run. He's likely not good enough a quarterback to be a franchise guy but he is an NFL starter, or at least the best backup in the league. The real point was, however, that having a QB that can also run is a great thing to have as long as he is a good thrower as well. You don't only need to be a dropback guy, which is what you were inferring. You want a QB to be able to be a QB from the pocket. That is true. However, a guy is even better if he can also run.

You keep Peterman because he is young and has some potential. I've watched that Chargers game over 20 times on the DVR. I saw a rookie 5th rd QB that was pressured more than any QB that I can remember. Taylor should be sending Peterman a gift basket because against that D-Line and Lynns knowledge of Taylor I think Taylor would've had his worst outing yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Paulus said:

You see, this ignores the whole "time" element. Going by your logic, if TB threw an INT on his first pass as a RC, amd only that pass during a game, then he'd throw an INT 100% of the time. And, therefore he sucks. 

We can do better. 

The answer is to work on the guy for one more year and see if the coaching staff can develop him. 

I'd still rather him than TT, at this point. But, if I were a coach, I wouldnt. 

If TB threw 6 int's in his first 50 passes he wouldn't be in the NFL either. BB would bench him after 3 and cut him after 5.

We aren't talking about some great QB. He was picked in the 5th because he stinks, he had to transfer colleges because he stinks, he threw some passes in the NFL and we could see that yes he really does stink, it's been confirmed and now we move on. If you want to develop someone get someone who is actually good and has a high ceiling