Does John Miller start with a change in offensive line philosophy?

John Miller started his career out promising and had his best year before Dennison came in.  Does Daboll open up the door for John Miller starting at RG again or is he on the outs with this coaching staff?  We have all discussed the potential of drafting a RG or grabbing one in FA but can Miller bounce back? I would draft an interior lineman to fight for the job with Miller.  If Miller wins, we can used the young guy to be a backup and learn, then replace Incognito as he nears the end of his career.  

4 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

he was terrible year one and good year two. he was not good last year at all, but i think that was due to him not being a good enough athlete to play the zone style that Dennison/Castillo were trying to install last year.  Hes a bounce back candidate for sure

Actually he was described as the best athlete on the offensive line in a few articles this year.  Not sure how true that is.  I think he can focus and play better with man responsibilities rather than the zone that was used this year.  He said how he likes to play physical and that matches up better in the power scheme not the zone.  Hoping he bounces back.

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

what philosophies does one chose from for O-lines? 

I'm not sure about all but he prefers the man to man blocking rather than the zone.  This allows him to be more physical which he's stated in the past that he likes.  Hoping he plays better next year

Edited by Buffalo30

everyone genius says you build starting with the O-line but few teams in dire straights actually do that

i would assume the philosophy is to draft the biggest MFs with talent that can truck out the D in merciless fashion for years on end

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

everyone genius says you build starting with the O-line but few teams in dire straights actually do that

i would assume the philosophy is to draft the biggest MFs with talent that can truck out the D in merciless fashion for years on end

Some teams like to use the smaller faster offensive lineman that can pull really well and get out in front of the running backs in space.  There's different philosophies that all have been proven to work with the right players

11 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Some teams like to use the smaller faster offensive lineman that can pull really well and get out in front of the running backs in space.  There's different philosophies that all have been proven to work with the right players

fair enough, but that requires ADJUSTING to the REALITY of the ROSTER

i believe 98% of coaches cannot get beyond setting up their "little system" and then trying to implement it come hell or high water, such that if the players don't fit your scheme then you toss the season away and shrug and refuse to adjust and hope you can get players to fit the system

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I personally thought that Vlad played pretty well down the stretch.  I would like to see an open competition for RG in training camp.

If the offensive line scheme is changed though, then I think he will end up like Miller did this year.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

fair enough, but that requires ADJUSTING to the REALITY of the ROSTER

i believe 98% of coaches cannot get beyond setting up their "little system" and then trying to implement it come hell or high water, such that if the players don't fit your scheme then you toss the season away and shrug and refuse to adjust and hope you can get players to fit the system

That's why flexible coaches who adjust to talent are the best.  Unfortunately, there aren't many of them

18 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I personally thought that Vlad played pretty well down the stretch.  I would like to see an open competition for RG in training camp.

He got better, but there are still MUCH better options. I still would rather have Groy in there, but I have a feeling they are saving him for Center when Wood retires or is traded.

Perhaps the draft will provide. But, any talk about a new QB will inevitably revolve around who's protecting him. Vlad was bad most of the year. Do we win 1-3 more games if a better OL is there? Perhaps. TT needed time to throw accurately. A better line could have provide that time. Of the better TT games, he's most effective when he has time to throw and they are then much more accurate. While he can scramble, scramble and throwing are two separate things and he does terrible scrambling and then finding an open receiver and throwing an accurate ball to him.