2018 Oscar Nominations: Predictions

Mark Vader

I just watched Three Billboards last night...one of the worst movies I have ever seen along with quite possibly the worst ending

Everyone has their own opinions and I'm sure a lot of people loved it. Just my opinion

Sam Rockwell was great in it though and he will win the Oscar guaranteed 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2018 at 1:06 AM, Mark Vader said:

That would be great.

However, I have a feeling that "Dunkirk" has become a forgotten movie. Despite it's great execution, storytelling, and artistic brilliance, it appears to have taken a backseat to movies like "The Shape of Water" and the overrated "Three Billboards".

I can't think of another movie that handled time and an perspective the same.  Are there any?

The movie really showed the randomness in returning home from war.  I am always struck by that.

10 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I just watched Three Billboards last night...one of the worst movies I have ever seen along with quite possibly the worst ending

Everyone has their own opinions and I'm sure a lot of people loved it. Just my opinion

The whole "police are evil" message, is why this movie has gotten so revered.

There are a few scenes that happen in "Three Billboards" that are so ridiculous, you cannot take the movie seriously, and yet the people who made it want us too.

I agree that Sam Rockwell is great, and overall it has very good acting. It's the story that is absurd.

10 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

It was on point politically and that's all that matters to the Hollywood left. It's not about entertainment anymore.  It's all about politics, social engineering and propaganda. You couldn't pay me to watch those detached, self-absorbed blowhards fawn over each other and a crapload of bad movies. And then having to listen to their political babbling is not good for the blood pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure there are a number of suckers in the Academy who will vote for Three Billboards, but my hope and bet is that it doesn't win except for acting categories. I feel like the obvious pick for Best Picture is The Shape of Water.

BUT

Best Picture is usually a curveball, so I'm going to place my bets on....... either Get Out or Dunkirk for the "surprise win." 

Show a racist character and the movie is racist? 

Show a mean cop and the movie is about bad cops?

We need to look deeper into what a writer may be trying to get at. For me, ‘Three Billboards‘ is about the juxtaposition of anger and empathy and how the true experience of either can sometimes be interdependent. 

It’s just too easy to pigeonhole stories these days when they hit upon hot topical political subjects that we have strong emotions towards. 

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We need to look deeper into what a writer may be trying to get at. For me, ‘Three Billboards‘ is about the juxtaposition of anger and empathy and how the true experience of either can sometimes be interdependent. 

It’s just too easy to pigeonhole stories these days when they hit upon hot topical political subjects that we have strong emotions towards. 

How do you think Blazing Saddles would be received if it were released in this day and age?

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

How do you think Blazing Saddles would be received if it were released in this day and age?

I don't think it could get released in this day and age. This day and age has become too politically correct to appreciate the kind of satire intended by Richard Pryor and Mel Brooks. Comedians and other satirists won't play college venues because of the off the rails "outrage" at the points they are driving home. When books like Huckleberry Finn can't be taught in schools or when educators are fired for using words that students and parents don't know the meaning of, it's little wonder. 

• Like (+1) 1

While I agree Get Out is not typical best movie material, I enjoyed it, it was fun and well made. Definitely superior to The Shape of Water which was shockingly boring imo...Del Toro is great but the movie was not great, so predictable, hokey, pandering, i feel like that movie has been made 1000s of times just not with a fishman. i only watched it because it is getting buzz...bleh. I liked that movie better when it was Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah.

Disaster Artist was good, but I'll rewatch The Room and probably never rewatch Disaster Artist.  so how's your sex life?

I have not yet seen the rest of the movies on the best picture list...working on it.

On March 3, 2018 at 7:58 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This is awesome.  Wife and I watched it last night, and really liked it.  I feel like some Oscar flicks are either or.  

18 hours ago, Dante said:

It was on point politically and that's all that matters to the Hollywood left. It's not about entertainment anymore.  It's all about politics, social engineering and propaganda. You couldn't pay me to watch those detached, self-absorbed blowhards fawn over each other and a crapload of bad movies. And then having to listen to their political babbling is not good for the blood pressure. 

I didn't see it as anti-police.  More anti-incompetence.  But you'll see what you want to see if it fits your narrative, I suppose.  

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

It's more than showing the character, it's the actions that we see as well.

SPOILER ALERT.....

When Sam Rockwell's character beats up the real estate agent and throws him out the 2nd floor window, then as he exits he punches the secretary and walks back to the station as if nothing had happened. And absolutely nothing happens to him?! He doesn't get arrested or fired for that?!

Then when Frances McDormand fire bombs the police station(a very absurd moment in the movie) she's not even brought in as a suspect, because Peter Dinklage's alibi is apparently very believable?! Who else would have done such a thing?! Not only the police racist in this movie, they are incredibly incompetent.

And we as audience members are supposed to take this seriously? Because the filmmakers do not try to portray these moments as comical.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

It's more than showing the character, it's the actions that we see as well.

SPOILER ALERT.....

When Sam Rockwell's character beats up the real estate agent and throws him out the 2nd floor window, then as he exits he punches the secretary and walks back to the station as if nothing had happened. And absolutely nothing happens to him?! He doesn't get arrested or fired for that?!

Then when Frances McDormand fire bombs the police station(a very absurd moment in the movie) she's not even brought in as a suspect, because Peter Dinklage's alibi is apparently very believable?! Who else would have done such a thing?! Not only the police racist in this movie, they are incredibly incompetent.

And we as audience members are supposed to take this seriously? Because the filmmakers do not try to portray these moments as comical.

Audience members aren’t “supposed” to anything. Take it as you will. I didn’t get bogged down in the plausibility aspects because they didn’t get in the way of my appreciation for a different aspect of the story. For me, it simply wasn’t about Rockwell’s or McDormand’s characters having to face the legal ramifications of their actions, it was about their sheer levels of anger that drove them to those actions in the first place. If the writer had chosen to tell their stories of facing the legal consequences, fine, but it would have been a different story entirely. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Audience members aren’t “supposed” to anything. Take it as you will. I didn’t get bogged down in the plausibility aspects because they didn’t get in the way of my appreciation for a different aspect of the story. For me, it simply wasn’t about Rockwell’s or McDormand’s characters having to face the legal ramifications of their actions, it was about their sheer levels of anger that drove them to those actions in the first place. If the writer had chosen to tell their stories of facing the legal consequences, fine, but it would have been a different story entirely. 

Yes, it would have been, and I probably would have bought into it more.

I did not buy what they initially delivered.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Big pic of Harvey to close the “in memorium” feature with “you phonies all knew!!!!!!l emblazoned on it would be nice

Lol.  Better odds on a culture full of rapists, pedophiles and their ever so brilliant enablers with an IQ of about 80 like Meryl Streep talking down to the entire country.  And then they give an award to a movie about a broad and a lizard humping in a fish tank.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Rooting for Oldman. The wife dragged me to Darkest Hour because she's a Churchill buff. She tells me after his first scene, it's Gary Oldman--I hadn't read anything about it beforehand. I said no way, and spent the rest of the movie trying to catch a glimpse of something that gave him away.

Unfortunately, I saw Dunkirk last summer, so the ending of DH was anticlimactic....?

she also dragged me to Lady Bird, and I walked out very impressed. Another movie that's been done many times over but great performances by Ronan and Metcalf.

I really enjoyed Shape of Water too and hope it beats Billboards, which I didn't see, and have no desire to. I'm pulling for Jenkins in best supporting role, as I'm a fan of six feet under.

Edited by TPS