Mayfield may not play in Senior Bowl

MrEpsYtown

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol:

That would have led to lots of batted down passes in the NFL. 

Longer arms than Nick O'Leary too :D

All in all, good numbers for Baker. I'd heard worrying things about his hands meeting teams' thresholds. Guess I won't be docking his grade much after all.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he does have character issues.  They are not Manziel level character issues.... and actually I hated Manziel's chance of transitioning as a player in any event.... but there are questions about some of his behaviour and actions.  I don't think we are in the position to judge the reality of that in the way that the team are and ultimately they will make their judgment.  

As for McDermott loving intense competitors... he absolutely does.  But he values professionalism equally.  What Mayfield did on the field with the crotch grab etc was ultimately unprofessional.  If that is the worst of his transgressions after doing due diligence I would still be willing to take him very high. Whether McDermott will I am less sure.  

All nothingness, the players wouldn't shake his hand, where is the outrage for their non professionalism? So he tells them off, big deal, not character flaw.

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's 6' 3/8", 220 lbs with 9 1/2 inch hands.

I'm sure Mayfield has enough on film to solidify him as a 1st rounder now that he's not crazy short.

I would love to trade up for him but I don’t think he’s a McBeane type of guy unfortunately 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So 3 minor transgressions on the field over his career erased all of what he actually did playing football for you?

You don't think this kid in particular "worried about his team"?  I don't think you have ever seen him play at all.  That comment gave you away.  You have only seen the SportCenter clips of the episodes you described above.

Do this: go watch him play and then come back and tell us all how you again concluded he doesn't care about the game, his team or winning.

I watched him play. I saw a short Big 12 QB who consistently had all the time in the world to throw. I saw a guy who could take his time going through his progressions. He will not be afforded this luxury in the pros. I also saw a kid who did love football, but he also worried far too much about the media and the opponent.

College football came easily to Mayfield. I’m sure a lot of hard work went into becoming the type of player he was, but he moved the ball at will in college. Pro football will present new challenges to Mayfield. Struggles are a guarantee, and I’m not sure how he’ll respond to them. I worry that his first real struggles in the pros could be a blow to his ego that he can’t overcome. Additionally, I just don’t think his skill set translates to the pros. Lots of people translate mega college success to mega pro success. It’s just not that simple. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

All nothingness, the players wouldn't shake his hand, where is the outrage for their non professionalism? So he tells them off, big deal, not character flaw.

He didn't tell them off. He crotch grabbed quite obviously in full public view. How professional they were or were not is not in question because the Bills are not thinking about drafting any of them. They might be thinking about Mayfield. I guarantee you McDermott thought it unprofessional. I would put every pound I own on it. Is it significant enough a concern to not draft him? Not for me.... but the Bills will want to dig extra deep as a result. 

4 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It doesn’t guarantee anything.

He will be a top 15 pick. 

He's the best QB at the Senior Bowl & it's not close. And he might just be the best QB in the draft by the time it's said and done. He does so many things well. There are 3 great QBs in the draft & he is 1. Bills have to do what it takes to get one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I watched him play. I saw a short Big 12 QB who consistently had all the time in the world to throw. I saw a guy who could take his time going through his progressions. He will not be afforded this luxury in the pros. I also saw a kid who did love football, but he also worried far too much about the media and the opponent.

College football came easily to Mayfield. I’m sure a lot of hard work went into becoming the type of player he was, but he moved the ball at will in college. Pro football will present new challenges to Mayfield. Struggles are a guarantee, and I’m not sure how he’ll respond to them. I worry that his first real struggles in the pros could be a blow to his ego that he can’t overcome. Additionally, I just don’t think his skill set translates to the pros. Lots of people translate mega college success to mega pro success. It’s just not that simple. 

I'm not doing that.

Everything left unbolded in your post is true for almost any rookie QB prospect.  He loves football, football comes easy to him and he could move the ball at will even against a team like Georgia.   None of that sounds prohibitive to me.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not doing that.

Everything left unbolded in your post is true for almost any rookie QB prospect.  He loves football, football comes easy to him and he could move the ball at will even against a team like Georgia.   None of that sounds prohibitive to me.

Fair enough. I just like seeing a QB in a pro style system who has faced more adversity than Mayfield. He did consistently move the ball at will, but he also faced very little pressure. Pro QB’s are often pressured on every play. I worry that Mayfield fits the typical profile of an elite college QB who doesn’t have the same success in the pros. He put up out this world video game type stats. The concern is that he looked spectacular in college, but all of his measurables are not consistent with those of elite NFL QB’s. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't tell them off. He crotch grabbed quite obviously in full public view. How professional they were or were not is not in question because the Bills are not thinking about drafting any of them. They might be thinking about Mayfield. I guarantee you McDermott thought it unprofessional. I would put every pound I own on it. Is it significant enough a concern to not draft him? Not for me.... but the Bills will want to dig extra deep as a result. 

He will be a top 15 pick. 

No one talks about the time he threw a Football at a TCU player’s head  in pregame just to be a jerk. He was wearing a helmet, but still.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The stuff Mayfield has done is about on par with Micah Hyde spaying Jags fans with water.  Hyde does it and no one notices it, Baker does it and it dominates headlines.  I don't think people understand what the Bills are looking for when it comes to character, from what I've seen the Bills want fiery competitors who can control that fire and not hurt their team on the field with outbursts.