Mayfield may not play in Senior Bowl

MrEpsYtown

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

What he and Rudolph (injury) have decided will not help their draft status. There is tons of tape on both players but given that transitioning to a pro offence is a question I'm sure that the pro talent evaluators would have liked to see them in live action and up close. An equally important question with respect to Mayfield is his character and he will be interviewed so that's good. The attending coaches will also get to see him interact with his teammates throughout the week of practices. And they will get to check out how he does in passing drills. 

Not participating could be more of a problem for Rudolph IMO.

Mayfield and Allen were to play on the same team. Maybe this buys Allen a bit more playing time and that is really more important in his case. He is obviously going to wow them in shorts but the main question is how well will he play against a big step up in competition. He did not do well playing last year against power 5 teams. Why did a guy with prototypical elite traits and football smarts (he's very good in front of the chalkboard) play so poorly? If he lights it up in the game he's probably going top 5. If he craps out he will drop, maybe even a fair bit. 

Great, Rudolph and Mayfield were the only reasons to watch the Senior Bowl. 

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Didn’t he say he wants to play for the Dolphins?

I hope not, if he did, he needs his head examined!  

I was just joking that he's trying to fall down the board to end up with the Bills.   I don't trust anyone who wants to play for the stinky fish!  SQUISH THE FISH.  

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are some really good DL playing 

who do you recommend watching.  I don't watch enough college ball to know who I should be watching in the front 7 in the Senior Bowl? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I hope not, if he did, he needs his head examined!  

I was just joking that he's trying to fall down the board to end up with the Bills.   I don't trust anyone who wants to play for the stinky fish!  SQUISH THE FISH.  

who do you recommend watching.  I don't watch enough college ball to know who I should be watching in the front 7 in the Senior Bowl? 

Marcus Davenport

jalyn Holmes 

Tyquan Lewis

ogbonnia okoronkwo

harrison Phillips 

da’shawn hand 

Andrew brown 

ochenna nwosu 

micah kiser

dorian o’daniel 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Were I Mayfield, I would not play the Senior bowl.....ala McCaffrey a year ago.  to much risk.....I have to admit though, the agent is smart...the interviews etc are important, and the practices are also tryouts.  But, the game is paying the bills......so, I would not have attended.

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Is he going to wear his 6" pumps to the combine? ;) 

He can't hide forever.

Different crew now ;) 

Hide .....what?  There's hundreds of hours of film on this guy--including against real competition in the playoffs, as opposed to throwing against DBs and WRs jogging routes on a party weekend all star game for college boys. 

What questions would playing in this pickup game of intramural football answer that have yet to be answered?

If your team is scouting players at the "Senior Bowl", you need to fire your whole scouting department.

oh, wait.....check.

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So basically Mayfield's agent is saying he may not play in the game at all. He will practice and he wants to do interviews. What do you guys think about this? This comes out this morning and Mayfield showed up late so he missed weigh ins.

If I'm coaching that team, he doesn't practice if he's not going to play.

39 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This is interesting because he is taking reps away from other players that will actually be in the game...may be a little selfish imo

That’s why I dislike this move on Mayfield’s part. He looks bad either way now. It’s just unnecessary stuff that further cements his me first diva reputation. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

34 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Whoever falls in love with this guy is making a big mistake imo. A short, pudgy, Big 12 QB with character concerns is the last guy I want leading my franchise. 

I saw him in person in September and he had his jersey on like a crop top, not saying it matters ultimately... but he was soft. Not Russell Wilson built like some say. He can get there but going to have to work hard next few months. 

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Good points, but why not just skip the whole thing then? Say he's going to focus on the combine like everyone else always does. If everybody knows he's 5'11" then he should just get measured. 

I get what the agent is trying to do, but it just seems wishy-washy to me. Plus he showed up late...to me that's like the guys who get a positive drug test at the combine. It's just dumb.  

Definite character issue.  To think someone would be with their mother in the hospital rather than at a meaningless football game.  Oh the humanity.

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw him in person in September and he had his jersey on like a crop top, not saying it matters ultimately... but he was soft. Not Russell Wilson built like some say. He can get there but going to have to work hard next few months. 

Although he was an elite college player, his build frightens me. It makes me question his dedication to fitness, and ultimately what his fitness level will be as he ages. He’s going to have to work harder at staying in shape, or he’ll be a hefty QB in a few years. That wouldn’t bode well for NFL success. 

46 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

That’s why I dislike this move on Mayfield’s part. He looks bad either way now. It’s just unnecessary stuff that further cements his me first diva reputation. 

When you watched him play, what is it that led you to believe that this kid in particular is a "me first diva"?  I mean I really don't know how you concluded that watching him play.

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who cares if he's a bit soft in the middle.  Again, did he look like he was out of shape while playing?  To me it looked like he was all over the place, running throwing scrambling.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This is interesting because he is taking reps away from other players that will actually be in the game...may be a little selfish imo

Thanks this is why I brought the issue up in the first place. The situation feels strange to me and I'm just some fan. I would imagine it wouldn't sit well with NFL excecutives. 

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

Definite character issue.  To think someone would be with their mother in the hospital rather than at a meaningless football game.  Oh the humanity.

C'mon man the details of his lateness came out a few hours after my post. I wish I was psychic.