Mason Rudolph has tiny hands

1 minute ago, teef said:

not to bring up the past, but on the bbmb, hand size was an extremely sensitive topic.  i still remember the great jimmy clausen thread of 2010.  we never quite came back from that.

Kiper has never forgiven the Bills for "passing up" on Clausen.

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

Tom Brady = 9.38"??

Hence the deflated balls...

• Like (+1) 1

Here's some info to chew on and dissect and debate.

https://www.quora.com/Which-NFL-QB-has-the-largest-hands

Brady is not measured but rumor has it they're huge

Unfortunately there is no data on QB hand sizes before 2008, but one could assume that Big Ben would have quite large hands because of his height (6'5") as with Tom Brady (6'4") and Peyton Manning (6'5").

According to this form, that has charted hand size and their success rates in the NFL since 2008, Ryan Mallet has the largest hand size with 10.75 inches.

main-qimg-9892ee7e6e3585eba3d02c0e963eff71-c

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I love draft season. The most manly of men ogling other men. Nothing wrong about it. 

as a fitness professional that works with a lot of young local athletes the combine is always a huge topic of discussion in my gym when it comes around and people would be astounded about how much discussion a nice powerful male buttocks can generate amongst a group of men. LOLOL.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope everyone realises that you're lucky to get one or two QBs that can even be a decent starter, much less franchise quality, in a draft. Half the guys we are debating are destined to be duds.

I don’t know the year after we got EJ seems like most of QB’s taken have worked out pretty good  

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I don’t know the year after we got EJ seems like most of QB’s taken have worked out pretty good  

Starters, but elite?  It's also too soon to know if they will stay at a high level.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is always the funniest of metrics.  So useless, but it's fun to watch people go nuts over hand size.

not sure why you would think this is useless.  if you can't grip the football there's lots of issues that can arise.  add to that, when it's cold the ball is as hard as a rock and when its warm the air expands if you leave it sitting in the sun.  also if you ever get a chance to get your hands on a game ball, they are slippery as crap.  the QB's and kickers do their best to break them in but the slick coating from the factory on the new game balls is killer.  hand size is definitely not a worthless stat.  it doesn't tell the whole story but it is a valuable piece of information

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope everyone realises that you're lucky to get one or two QBs that can even be a decent starter, much less franchise quality, in a draft. Half the guys we are debating are destined to be duds.

100% true. but its fun to discuss.... the only thing that really irritates me is the people that act as thought they KNOW how any of these qb's will pan out. if history shows anything its that its basically a crap shoot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Here's some info to chew on and dissect and debate.

https://www.quora.com/Which-NFL-QB-has-the-largest-hands

Brady is not measured but rumor has it they're huge

To be fair, this only covers 2008-2013. Including 2014-2017, you get the follow list of semi-successful/jury's still out QBs with hands as small as Rudolph:

Kaepernick

Keenum

Derek Carr

Bridgewater

Jimmy Garappolo

Jared Goff

Pat Mahomes

Davis Webb

Ryan Tannehill

Edit: I was looking at 9 1/4 instead of 9 1/8. Bridgewater, Mahomes, and Webb all have bigger hands than Rudolph.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

100% true. but its fun to discuss.... the only thing that really irritates me is the people that act as thought they KNOW how any of these qb's will pan out. if history shows anything its that its basically a crap shoot.

QB fever. There's no known vaccine.

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

not sure why you would think this is useless.  if you can't grip the football there's lots of issues that can arise.  add to that, when it's cold the ball is as hard as a rock and when its warm the air expands if you leave it sitting in the sun.  also if you ever get a chance to get your hands on a game ball, they are slippery as crap.  the QB's and kickers do their best to break them in but the slick coating from the factory on the new game balls is killer.  hand size is definitely not a worthless stat.  it doesn't tell the whole story but it is a valuable piece of information

The chart shown above proves it's not much of a factor.  Also, the college ball isn't that much smaller than a pro ball, so why would gripping the ball become a problem?