Gilmore is now beloved in NE (Yahoo Article)

BigDingus

11 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

And they will see your smart team management with a superbowl... It has not proven to be smart team management yet... at all. 

Because of course signing Gilmore to that contract would totally have gotten us to the Super Bowl this year

Brady is the reason they are in the Super Bowl....to think anything other then that is folly

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

John, you say, "Once again ... it's not that Gilmore didn't deserve his contract ..." But here's what you actually said before:

How is this not saying he didn't deserve his contract, John? Looks to me like you said exactly the opposite. And it didn't make sense. Now you're backing off, and that's fine, but it should be pretty clear why I felt I had to point out that Gilmore shows every sign of living up to every contract he's signed. And that if there's one  thing the Pats are known for, it's pinching pennies and not overpaying for FAs. His production was matching his pay but the Bills were between a rock and a hard place in terms of the cap.

Gilmore was on an island when he was here. Bad safeties and they schemed him man-to-man on their best. Gaines is in a much easier position and has better safeties backing him up. He's not as good. I like Gaines and am happy he's here, but Gilmore's better. Where are all the media folks and stats showing Gaines to be as good?

And once again, I'm not arguing whether they spent money well or whether our secondary is better. I'd agree. The safeties are almost infinitely better than our recent guys there. I'm saying if Whaley hadn't screwed us with a bad cap situation we could have kept Gilmore and had him opposite Tre and been a good deal better. 

The Pats film review column has Belichick even walking up to him and giving him a big smile a few weeks ago.

https://nesn.com/2017/12/patriots-bills-film-review-stephon-gilmore-is-really-good-edition/

In any case, when you look at people writing up the Bills draft needs, there's often CB on the list. Exactly.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/21/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-top-5-draft-needs/

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/what_are_the_buffalo_bills_biggest_needs_heading_into_2018.html

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Mock-Draft-Watch-10/a571a495-8d47-4fde-9703-03715b32c4ce

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/27/15447882/buffalo-bills-top-2017-nfl-draft-needs-cornerback-safety-receiver-tackle-linebacker

How many times does Gilmore not wrap up when he was with us...not play the run....duck his head.....straight get beat?

Even with the patriots Gilmore went though a rough stretch where he was getting torched

Perhaps not deserving of the contract is a bit harsh.....the players do deserve the money they get.  I am thankful that he did not get that money from us because what came after him was a much better on the field product.

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

I never understood the hatred for the guy. The guy is a quiet, do your job type of corner. Prefect for the Pats. Does anyone not see why the Pats paid for him?

Except when they beat us earlier in the year and he was telling anyone with a mic it could have been much worse

On 1/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, teef said:

i literally just mentioned this in another thread, but i wasn't impressed by the batted ball at all.  it looked under thrown and rather routine.  i'm not even hating on gilmore here, but come on now.

I said exactly this in the Shoutbox after it happened and got creamed by the idiots there saying it was a perfect pass.....

12 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Yea it is a rather unfortunate trend... It's kind of like the back up QB being the most popular guy on the roster when you have a bad team. That's just what has happened over the course of time... 

Then you add in bitterness and people talking about blue collar bull ****... It's just a bad environment for anybody talented. Even Shady gets **** at times on here. 

The issue is that this teams fanbase isn't just ignorant about good players after they leave. 

They willingly do it They have a problem with every talented guy on the roster, constantly. They ran Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins out of town. They are already on to Cordy. Some people are already talking about Shady.

They constantly compare what football players make to what average people make, when it is just a dumb thing to even consider. Anyone making good money it seems they immediately turn against. It's like they think you get an extra win or two added on to the season total by being at the cap floor or something.

This obsession with people making too much is annoying among bills fans. Quit being jealous. If anyone can actually point out someone we didn't sign because the cap was in the way, I'd love to hear it. But the cap can be manipulated, it's a bunch of bull ****. But I'm not surprised that people who would have the wool pulled over their eyes by some weird bald dude whispering trust the process in their ears can't understand this. 

I never got the call from McBeane asking me if we should run these boys out?

Dareus: Overrated bum.  Gilmore: Contract year and underachieved as a Bill.   Watkins:  Oft injured, big baby and Contract year.  

But hey, we turn on this great talent and run them out of Buffalo!!! hahaha.  

Last time I checked, other than Gilmore ( and you can thank Brady and the refs ) we all be eating Pizza and watching the SB.

6 minutes ago, KW95 said:

I said exactly this in the Shoutbox after it happened and got creamed by the idiots there saying it was a perfect pass.....

It was not a perfect pass. He actually jumped early and batted the ball on his descent rather than at his peak. The ball needed to be thrown to the pylon with a little more air under it. It's nitpicking, but it's all I have left :lol: 

Edited by Captain Murica

On 1/22/2018 at 12:03 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Agreed.  bit maybe just not good enough.  

Hopefully the trend of jettisoning the "not good enough" players continues.  

A few minor edits.   I think Darby was a better player than Gilmore.  

I agree a bit bit in theory. I wouldn’t have paid him that contract. But was talking to a buddy of mine the other day in Boston before the game about Gilmore. He said fans and the team have been very happy with his play the last 12 games or so. No issue with his contract. 

Let’s not fool ourselves that losing “not good enough” players is a good thing. CB1 and CB2 have cost us 2 first round draft picks (Gilmore and Tre White), A second (Darby), and Sammy Watkins. The Bills have let go and traded a ton of players the last 365 days. That creates a ton of holes at starting and depth positions. Those picks could have been used to fortify other positions like LB, DT, OL, WR. We cannot keep up with the turnstile of of our draft picks. 

Lets not forget he was a staple in a top 10 defense not long ago. 

Gilmore will be even better next year, it took him time to learn and he will make a big jump next year. 

There seems to be alot of people on here that think they are more.knowledgeable on the game of football and the day to day operations of a football team. What a players value is and what it isnt. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Both of the Bills starting corners last year are in the superbowl

Funny, then, that they contributed exactly ZERO to the Bills making a superbowl while here.

Also, they participated in one of the worst defenses in the league two seasons ago. It was the right move getting rid of them.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Both of the Bills starting corners last year are in the superbowl

Wow, really?  I'm 100% certain that nobody on this board knew that without you pointing it out.

So are Legarrette Blount and Chris Long, both of whom used to play for NE...just in case you haven't been following the NFL for the last 8 months.

Take your pompousness somewhere else.

11 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Gilmore will be even better next year, it took him time to learn and he will make a big jump next year. 

There seems to be alot of people on here that think they are more.knowledgeable on the game of football and the day to day operations of a football team. What a players value is and what it isnt. 

There are also a number of folks on here that are proficient in the English language, and its accompanying sentence structure and punctuation.  Give it a shot.

:lol:

If we wouldn't have found a great (and possibly better) replacement for Gilmore in Tre White I'd certainly be disappointed for letting him walk and sign with the Pats.

But make no mistake about it, Gilmore Island is finally open for business and he's playing the best football of his career for the Pats since coming back from a mid season injury and struggling a bit early in the season.

On 1/22/2018 at 11:25 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

He's a good cornerback.

Has anyone noticed in recent history that the Bills (and their fans) have turned on nearly every single player whom they picked high and/or gave a big contract to?  The level of buyer's remorse at OBD is incredible.

Dead on!  :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

If we wouldn't have found a great (and possibly better) replacement for Gilmore in Tre White I'd certainly be disappointed for letting him walk and sign with the Pats.

But make no mistake about it, Gilmore Island is finally open for business and he's playing the best football of his career for the Pats since coming back from a mid season injury and struggling a bit early in the season.

If Mahomes or Watson go on to become a franchise QB and the Bills fail again to get one of their own, then allowing Gilmore to walk away and replacing him with Tre White may be one of the costliest deals the Bills have ever made ... only time will tell.