Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

32 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not exactly right.  That score "kept us in the game" because the offense was totally out of sync and couldn't sustain drives that would have kept the defense off the field.  There were hardly any first downs in that game by the Bills, IIRC.  Three-and-outs and long touchdown passes.

I mean - score was closer.. We had nothing going on offense, and the defense was getting routinely beat - both darby and gilmore.

Ryan's quote after the game:

"Obviously, we never expected this," Ryan said. "The Jets were a much better team than we were today, especially their offense against our defense looked like a mismatch today. You look for a difference in the game and that was the difference in the game."

When you score 31 you should win.  People complain about no TD's and when they are getting TD's they complain about something else.  The Roman offense was built to run the ball and hit deep passes.  It scored points.  It was ball control running and if the crowd the line and put men in the box you go deep.  It worked.  It's all water under the bridge but make no mistake about it, the entire time under Rex the defense was the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Ryan's quote after the game:

"Obviously, we never expected this," Ryan said. "The Jets were a much better team than we were today, especially their offense against our defense looked like a mismatch today. You look for a difference in the game and that was the difference in the game."

When you score 31 you should win.  People complain about no TD's and when they are getting TD's they complain about something else.  The Roman offense was built to run the ball and hit deep passes.  It scored points.  It was ball control running and if the crowd the line and put men in the box you go deep.  It worked.  It's all water under the bridge but make no mistake about it, the entire time under Rex the defense was the problem.

At the end of the day it is the NFL and teams lose games to other team that you wonder why they lost.

The key is

- Win your home games

- Win your division games

- Have a team identity.....understand where the big moments are in games that are needed to win games against good teams.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If everyone else is getting better and you're staying the same, then you're getting worse. This is competitive sports.

Did you look at the stats I posted??   here they are again:

Alabama's red zone scoring percentage:

2016:  89.2%    (58 of 65)        TDs:  40        FGs:    18                 http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/8/redzone/offense/split.html

2017:  85.3%    (58 of 68)        TDs:  46        FGs:    12                 http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/team/8/redzone/offense/split.htm

So, six more TDs but a 4% decrease in efficiency is a big worry?     Perhaps you should Google 'obtuse'...  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

2016:  89.2%    (58 of 65)        TDs:  40        FGs:    18                 http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/8/redzone/offense/split.html

2017:  85.3%    (58 of 68)        TDs:  46        FGs:    12                 http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/team/8/redzone/offense/split.htm

So, six more TDs but a 4% decrease in efficiency is a big worry?     Perhaps you should Google 'obtuse'...  

It's not a "big worry". But in light of some of the red zone issues he had as NFL OC it's worth noting.

32 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So they scored Touchdowns 67% of the time with Daboll and 61.5% of the time with Lane?

Looks to me that they got better in the Red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dneveu said:

Roman was not without his issues.  Even in San Francisco he wore out his welcome.  The passing attack is just too basic - it results in a lot of sacks and is designed for scramblers.  A lot of verticals, hitches, out routes.  Safe stuff that doesn't result in picks.  If the reads aren't there you are supposed to just take off running and avoid turnovers.  

My big problem with him was the lack of a 2 minute offense.  That and it taking like 30 seconds to get a play call in so there was never any pre-snap motion, hard counts, and we'd get penalties.

I suspect Roman's passing attack would look a lot better if he didn't have Kaepernick and Taylor at QB.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He had alex smith who's pretty accurate and it was still a bottom of the barrel passing offense.

I think you're overrating Alex Smith. Even with the great Andy Reid, passing game guru, as coach this is the only season that the Chiefs have ranked higher than 20th in the league in passing under Smith. They love him so much that they just moved up to draft his replacement and will probably be looking to trade him this off season.

4 minutes ago, vincec said:

I think you're overrating Alex Smith. Even with the great Andy Reid, passing game guru, as coach this is the only season that the Chiefs have ranked higher than 20th in the league in passing under Smith. They love him so much that they just moved up to draft his replacement and will probably be looking to trade him this off season.

Either way - smith/kaep/taylor all have different strengths and weaknesses... and yet they all operated basically the same offense.  Tight formations, out routes, hitch routes, nothing over the middle, read and run.  Nothing over the middle, limit turnovers, sacks are better.  Shotgun/pistol mostly, lot of read option and speed options.  

The 2 minute offense/playcalling issues were prevalent in San Fran too, so I think that's just who he is.

Edited by dneveu

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Chan

Hackett Jr.

Roman

Lynn

Rico

Daboll

This will be our 6th OC in the last 7 years. I hope we got a good one this time .

Yeah - didn't totally hate Chan but feel he's overrated by a lot of people here.  I feel like as the season wore on people kinda caught onto his gameplans.  He also had a considerable number of stinker games for me to ever consider him a really great offensive coach.  Good guy for getting a lot out of... not a lot.  

Hackett - run run pass punt.  Next.

Roman - great run concepts, but like a total lack of anything resembling a coherent structured offense.  Too many penalties, late play calls, no motion, limiting.

Lynn - worked with romans playbook, and in general did an alright job trying to clean up the 2 minute offense and the penalties.

Rico - too many negative plays, and too cute.  

Daboll - ???????????