Joe Marino of Fanrag Sports Talks Bills' QB Situation on WGR

people talking about him being short ignore rodgers is maybe 6-2.  People also keep using the theory that they inflate his height.  That used to be a thing but it doesn't seem to happen now with all the info out there.  Also, the people who say he might be the 5th best player in the draft. Was rodgers the 24th, big ben, heck even tre white last year.  If he can be a great qb I want him. 

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would prefer Darnold but it's going to be too expensive. I like Baker but am worried he could have Manziel traits? Anyone here who knows more about Mayfield feel free to put my mind at ease.

People keep referencing Manziel when talking about Mayfield. I don't understand why, though. If it's the character issues, I can understand that, but Manziel's character issues were on a much higher level. Other than height, what else is closely comparable?

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1-12: Joe Marino of FanRag Sports with Howard and Jeremy (16:06)

Marino was on this morning to discuss the Bills' QB situation with Tyrod.  He discussed options in the veteran QB market via trade or UFA as well as the 2018 QB class.  He believes that Baker Mayfield represents the best option for the Bills among the QB prospects.  He wrote a piece a few days ago on the subject.

I don't watch much college football, so I googled Baker Mayfield.  This is what came up.  Nope.  Nopenopenopenope
image.thumb.png.f3d1dac8b05019b967e27f2c2efaf1d6.png

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's not.  Specifically said he was a low end starter and compared him to the level of a Chad Henne.

Not sure why he would make that comparison. Something Rudolph appears capable of doing is throwing a very catchable ball  with accuracy and touch to all parts of the field. Henne doesn't really strike he as someone who can do that. Rudolphs stats certainly exaggerate his value though and need to be dicounted somewhat in evaluating him.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard this interview but his reasoning on selecting Mayfield is flawed. He’s assuming not only that Dennison stays but they will draft Mayfield because he fits his system. The first one isn’t a given and even if he does stay, Beane clearly stated they will not be selecting a qB based on fitting the system of the OC. If they take Mayfield it will be because he’s the QB they want, period. 

He’s also saying they chose Dennison over Tyrod because of the trade for KB. KB can fit in any OC’s system. They didn’t want Tyrod to be this team’s QB going forward to begin with, and probably wish they had just moved on last year. Dennison tried to adapt to TT but there is only so much you can do. Roman and Lynn adapted to him and they were still last in passing. That said Dennison wasn’t McD’s first choice at OC and TT wasn’t his first choice for QB. 

Well said Yolo!

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Not sure why he would make that comparison. Something Rudolph appears capable of doing is throwing a very catchable ball  with accuracy and touch to all parts of the field. Henne doesn't really strike he as someone who can do that. Rudolphs stats certainly exaggerate his value though and need to be dicounted somewhat in evaluating him.

An example.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

people talking about him being short ignore rodgers is maybe 6-2.  People also keep using the theory that they inflate his height.  That used to be a thing but it doesn't seem to happen now with all the info out there.  Also, the people who say he might be the 5th best player in the draft. Was rodgers the 24th, big ben, heck even tre white last year.  If he can be a great qb I want him. 

But nobody gave up those kind of assets for those players with other major holes on the roster either.

32 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

No argument from me there. The draft is a crap shoot. IMO the best thing you can do to help yourself when picking is to minimize risks. Height is a risk, it's the reason Wilson wasn't a first round pick. You're right though, we drafted EJ for his height and even for his hand size so no, my position isn't unassailable, but I think percentage-wise you're probably safer picking the taller guys if you're looking for a prototypical pocket passer. 

The choice in my mind is do we "spend" all of draft capital to get one of the top hyped guys, who may or may not turn out to be THE guy, or is it less of a risk to let Mayfield drop to us at 21 and use the rest of our picks on quality players?

Personally, I'd go the Mayfield route ... my biggest problem would be the ulcers I'd develop until my pick worrying that somebody will pick Mayfield in front of me. 

Just now, macaroni said:

The choice in my mind is do we "spend" all of draft capital to get one of the top hyped guys, who may or may not turn out to be THE guy, or is it less of a risk to let Mayfield drop to us at 21 and use the rest of our picks on quality players?

Personally, I'd go the Mayfield route ... my biggest problem would be the ulcers I'd develop until my pick worrying that somebody will pick Mayfield in front of me. 

I'd be thrilled if we drafted him and he turns out to be good. I don't have a problem with him specifically at all, I'm just wary of short QBs. I also don't like the arrest. 

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

Your scenario makes it seem all the bargaining power is with the Bills, who will be dictating terms that favor OBD. I suggest reality is just the opposite.

If you read the last line of my post I clealry said I was just having fun with some scenarios..

I wish people would not take so much of this message board so serioulsy. I like posting off the cuff for fun

That being said.. Free Agent bargainnig power.. We have some money we have an open poisiton and we have a playoff caliber team with owners who are willing to do what it takes.. We have some chips to bargain with. SO I do not under stand your reality quip.. Highly unlikely but fun to think about

I don't have anything against Mayfield, I just don't think he fits the MO of what they're looking for in a QB. Beane has described his ideal QB as a guy with prototypical size (so like 6'3"-6'5" and 225 lbs) who can routinely make plays from the pocket. That isn't exactly Mayfield's game. 

This isn't my first choice but I think Mason Rudolph probably checks a lot of boxes for them. He needs some work (as they all do) but it wouldn't surprise me to see them draft him. 

If they are as enamored with Darnold as the rumors state, they better be hitting the phones hard and trying to work out a monster deal to move up.