Don't Draft a QB, Package The Picks For This Instead

yungmack

8 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

i guess it involves one's interpretation  the purpose of the board. i like reading , obviously, topics on here.. what is generally frustrating is having the "critics" come roaring out.. if it isnt the "thread police" , its the glib,  wannabee "comedians" .. or the "accuracy police".. JMHO 

i rest my case

Sorry you don’t enjoy fun.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, that's not Luck either.  He was "dominant" (kind of) in 2014.  His playoff performance his is the opposite of "dominant".

"Mediocre" list?  Those are starting QBs who have been successful right out of college. 

Ryan is behind Wentz?  I really don't understand your point now.

Yep, they're all starting QBs, and so is TT. As to

51 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Last I heard, Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate for the Colts HC job. He'll want a "top" QB and I'm not sure if Jacoby Bresset would do it...

And last I heard, Irsay is the owner, the guy who questions Luck's commitment, courage and willingness to play hurt.

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sorry you don’t enjoy fun.

Having Chevy Chase as your avatar tells me all I need to know about your sense of humor.

• Like (+1) 1

So, in your scenario you lose the Draft capital AND you lose the FA money....?? In all due respect, that hurts the team much, much more than it does help them.

I'm not on the Cousins bandwagon much more so because it is cost-prohibitive in my opinion, but at least IF they were to try and get him via FA, you still have some FA money and a ton of Draft capital....or, if the Bills sign the leftover Vikings QB, they still have quite a bit of FA money AND Draft capital....or if the Bills trade UP for their QB guy, they'll have the FA money and a few extra Draft picks....your way, the Bills lose both...so basically the ONLY way to screw the team over for the next 2-3 years....sorry, no thanks.

11 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Yep, they're all starting QBs, and so is TT. As to

And last I heard, Irsay is the owner, the guy who questions Luck's commitment, courage and willingness to play hurt.

Having Chevy Chase as your avatar tells me all I need to know about your sense of humor.

If you didn’t use Dilly Dilly in a post earlier, I’d probably even give you a half grin here.

Use our draft picks on the line, WR with speed and a RB with speed.  FA a QB and draft a maybe one.  You win with a great line in O and D.  And I love Dilly Dilly.  Drink Lite but love Dilly.   Don't waste all those top picks when we need a bunch a improvement in other areas.  Dilly-- Dilly. 

What did the colts get for Peyton when tanked for Luck? Does anyone know? ..cause it turned out very well for Denver.

no way 2 firsts I’d say maybe one first and a conditional futures pick plus $$

Edited by Zqueezr
Not done

2 hours ago, yungmack said:

Every fan with a lick of sense knows that the draft is a shot in the dark. "Can't Miss" players flop all the time, even among the highest picks. And QB disappointments are among the most hit-or-miss of them all. Nearly every year several are picked high in the draft, and nearly every year most of them disappoint. The real successes are few and far between, as a look around the league shows.

One of the major reasons why FAs at all positions are chased after is that they've proved what they can do against NFL competition. They're generally a better bet than the unproven rookies. "Trial by fire" and all that. Still, it appears the Bills are considering packaging several of their picks this year (and maybe from coming years) to move up to get that elusive "franchise QB" and get themselves out of what Whaley called "Quarterback Purgatory." But who are the "can't miss" candidates that would make this worthwhile? Darnold? Rosen? Mayfield? Could be they will each be HOF-ers by the end of their careers but history is against that.

Another path is to aggressively court a FA QB, which might include Cousins, Smith, Keenum, Bridgewater and a few others. These are all experienced NFL QBs and to my eyes, they all have serious flaws, flaws that lead me to think the Bills will not be greatly better with any of them and might be worse with some.

So what to do if you're Kim and Brian and Sean, with a genuine need at QB, a bunch of good picks, several apparently quality QBs coming out of college, along with several serviceable pros? Here's what I lean towards: Don't package a bunch of picks to go after a college QB, and don't bust the bank to sign a "maybe he'll be good" pro. Instead, take those picks and, if necessary, some of that money you're considering spending on a FA QB and make a deal with the Colts for Andrew Luck. The owner seems to have fallen out of love with him, actively talking him down. And he owes a ton of money to a guy he doesn't like anymore. The organizational situation doesn't inspire confidence that the Colts are about to turn things around any time soon, which must be clear to Luck by now, which should make him amenable to a trade.

A couple of first round picks, maybe more, and the willingness to take on Luck's contract just might make Irsay say, "Dilly dilly." I would certainly favor this path over using those same picks on an college QB, and I'd rather spend the money on Luck than Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater or any of the other QBs likely to be available. What do you think?

I hate the idea. 

Hate the catchphrase "dilly dilly" even more.

49 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

So, in your scenario you lose the Draft capital AND you lose the FA money....?? In all due respect, that hurts the team much, much more than it does help them.

I'm not on the Cousins bandwagon much more so because it is cost-prohibitive in my opinion, but at least IF they were to try and get him via FA, you still have some FA money and a ton of Draft capital....or, if the Bills sign the leftover Vikings QB, they still have quite a bit of FA money AND Draft capital....or if the Bills trade UP for their QB guy, they'll have the FA money and a few extra Draft picks....your way, the Bills lose both...so basically the ONLY way to screw the team over for the next 2-3 years....sorry, no thanks.

To move up significantly in the draft will require a boat load of picks. And whomever they draft at that level will get multi millions, so both your draft picks and a substantial amount of your money will be committed on  QB who might or might not work out.

If that's too much for the FO to stomach, then, yes, go the pure FA route. But to my eyes, the likely QBs who will be available are not much of an improvement over TT, if at all. General opinion is that Cousins is the best of the bunch but I just don't believe he will ever move into that top 4 or 5 QB group, and even if the Skins were to let him leave, I really can't see him happily coming to Buffalo.

If moving up in the draft will cost a ton, and FAs will also cost big money without offering significant improvement, then the other option is a trade. 

5 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I hate the idea. 

Hate the catchphrase "dilly dilly" even more.

So you're a hater?

3 hours ago, yungmack said:

Every fan with a lick of sense knows that the draft is a shot in the dark. "Can't Miss" players flop all the time, even among the highest picks. And QB disappointments are among the most hit-or-miss of them all. Nearly every year several are picked high in the draft, and nearly every year most of them disappoint. The real successes are few and far between, as a look around the league shows.

One of the major reasons why FAs at all positions are chased after is that they've proved what they can do against NFL competition. They're generally a better bet than the unproven rookies. "Trial by fire" and all that. Still, it appears the Bills are considering packaging several of their picks this year (and maybe from coming years) to move up to get that elusive "franchise QB" and get themselves out of what Whaley called "Quarterback Purgatory." But who are the "can't miss" candidates that would make this worthwhile? Darnold? Rosen? Mayfield? Could be they will each be HOF-ers by the end of their careers but history is against that.

Another path is to aggressively court a FA QB, which might include Cousins, Smith, Keenum, Bridgewater and a few others. These are all experienced NFL QBs and to my eyes, they all have serious flaws, flaws that lead me to think the Bills will not be greatly better with any of them and might be worse with some.

So what to do if you're Kim and Brian and Sean, with a genuine need at QB, a bunch of good picks, several apparently quality QBs coming out of college, along with several serviceable pros? Here's what I lean towards: Don't package a bunch of picks to go after a college QB, and don't bust the bank to sign a "maybe he'll be good" pro. Instead, take those picks and, if necessary, some of that money you're considering spending on a FA QB and make a deal with the Colts for Andrew Luck. The owner seems to have fallen out of love with him, actively talking him down. And he owes a ton of money to a guy he doesn't like anymore. The organizational situation doesn't inspire confidence that the Colts are about to turn things around any time soon, which must be clear to Luck by now, which should make him amenable to a trade.

A couple of first round picks, maybe more, and the willingness to take on Luck's contract just might make Irsay say, "Dilly dilly." I would certainly favor this path over using those same picks on an college QB, and I'd rather spend the money on Luck than Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater or any of the other QBs likely to be available. What do you think?

WGR had the Colts “Sal” on a month ago or so. That guy stated that the national perception on Irsay-Luck is all wrong. Indy “Sal,” said that Irsay and everybody in the Colts LOVES Luck and he ain’t goin nowhere. 

Plus, his injury is concerning. 

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

Every time that drug addled booze hound opens his yap everyone on the Colts (and their fanbase) must cringe. Luck's not going anywhere. After all the Colts went through to get the 1st pick in the draft? No way.

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

no.

...this gang (THANKFULLY) is NOT going to spend major draft capital in trades or FA period......they built it up to build this club through the draft.......may see them offering a 2nd or 3rd to KC for Smith, but that is about it IMO.....I see them taking the safe and perhaps un-sexy Rudolph in the 1st around 20 something and then focusing on OL/DL......

6 hours ago, yungmack said:

I think it has been discussed multiple times but in that case Luck was in subject.

5 hours ago, Chadwick Bay Chad said:

Stop with your nonsense. Lucks career is not over you blow hard

I cannot believe shady ia not band from the site he knows nothing bout football and posts nonsense all the time

His career is far from over. When healthy he's got an arm like a rocket. I bet by the end of the next season his nickname will be Rocket Man.