Don't Draft a QB, Package The Picks For This Instead

yungmack

Every fan with a lick of sense knows that the draft is a shot in the dark. "Can't Miss" players flop all the time, even among the highest picks. And QB disappointments are among the most hit-or-miss of them all. Nearly every year several are picked high in the draft, and nearly every year most of them disappoint. The real successes are few and far between, as a look around the league shows.

One of the major reasons why FAs at all positions are chased after is that they've proved what they can do against NFL competition. They're generally a better bet than the unproven rookies. "Trial by fire" and all that. Still, it appears the Bills are considering packaging several of their picks this year (and maybe from coming years) to move up to get that elusive "franchise QB" and get themselves out of what Whaley called "Quarterback Purgatory." But who are the "can't miss" candidates that would make this worthwhile? Darnold? Rosen? Mayfield? Could be they will each be HOF-ers by the end of their careers but history is against that.

Another path is to aggressively court a FA QB, which might include Cousins, Smith, Keenum, Bridgewater and a few others. These are all experienced NFL QBs and to my eyes, they all have serious flaws, flaws that lead me to think the Bills will not be greatly better with any of them and might be worse with some.

So what to do if you're Kim and Brian and Sean, with a genuine need at QB, a bunch of good picks, several apparently quality QBs coming out of college, along with several serviceable pros? Here's what I lean towards: Don't package a bunch of picks to go after a college QB, and don't bust the bank to sign a "maybe he'll be good" pro. Instead, take those picks and, if necessary, some of that money you're considering spending on a FA QB and make a deal with the Colts for Andrew Luck. The owner seems to have fallen out of love with him, actively talking him down. And he owes a ton of money to a guy he doesn't like anymore. The organizational situation doesn't inspire confidence that the Colts are about to turn things around any time soon, which must be clear to Luck by now, which should make him amenable to a trade.

A couple of first round picks, maybe more, and the willingness to take on Luck's contract just might make Irsay say, "Dilly dilly." I would certainly favor this path over using those same picks on an college QB, and I'd rather spend the money on Luck than Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater or any of the other QBs likely to be available. What do you think?

• Like (+1) 2

There are no "can't miss QBs" in the draft---remember when Luck was supposed to be one?  Now he's a physically and psychologically damaged one. Why blow at least 2 first rounders on a guy who is clearly NOT "can't miss"---and at a huge cost as well.

Better and cheaper to draft one.  Look at last draft--you don't see at least 2-3 guys who will soon be regular starters?

Before them it was Goof and Wentz in the 1st.  Not bad huh?

Before them Winston and Mariota.

Before them Bridgewater and Bortles (hey, he's advancing in the playoffs and is their starter).  Carr and Garapolo in the 2nd.  Pretty good, right?

Before them (let's skip 2013) there's Luck and Tannehill (Wilson in the 3rd because NFL GMs are really dumb).

Before them Newton and Dalton (2nd).

Stafford, Flacco and Ryan all 1st rounders the 2 years before that.

Anyway, you get the picture.  The claim that "college doesn't prepare QBs for the NFL"  is proven false year after year.  Plenty of starters in the first 1-2 rounds.

Why would you want to spend tons of money and 2 first round picks for a player with significant lingering injury issues when you can little money and a single pick on a rookie who might start right away?  If he's a bust......so what, you blew one pick and a rookie salary contract on him.  Picking up Luck only to find out his best days are already behind him (more likely than completely busting on a 1st round QB, I think) sets the franchise back far far more.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

When has Luck been placed on the block?

Don't believe he has. The Bills, in my opinion, should initiate talks, see if Irsay is ready to part ways, and if he is, what will he take for Luck. He's the only guy I'd rate as a top QB who there's even a chance might be available. If negotiations fail, go back to the other scenarios. Couldn't hurt to give it a try and who knows?

4 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Can we start dropping the banhammer for posters that use “dilly dilly” in their posts?

Can be begin excising cranky old farts like you?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Don't believe he has. The Bills, in my opinion, should initiate talks, see if Irsay is ready to part ways, and if he is, what will he take for Luck. He's the only guy I'd rate as a top QB who there's even a chance might be available. If negotiations fail, go back to the other scenarios. Couldn't hurt to give it a try and who knows?

Ok what do you offer for a QB on a massive contract with a destroyed throwing shoulder and major issues confidence wise 

Edited by MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, yungmack said:

dilly dilly :)