How difficult will it be to get back in 2018?

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Next season will be difficult, but not impossible.

There is more likely going to be a lot of turnover on the roster. After all, the Bills signed a bunch of players to 1 year deals, and more likely, most of them will not be back.

How the Bills approach free agency and the draft will be vital, of course. However, right now the more important issue to me is, will they keep Dennison as offensive coordinator?

Once that is settled, the we can get to roster changes. I would love to have Kyle back, because he is a team leader and he can still play. 

I feel that we must re-sign E.J. Gaines, even if we have to overspend. I'd welcome back Jordan Matthews, but at a reasonable price.

Then there's the all important question of what to do at Quarterback. I think it is safe to say that Tyrod is finished here. The Bills must draft a QB next year, and preferably in the first round. They should also get another QB in free agency, because I can not picture Peterman being next year's starter.

We desperately need to get good RB depth. Shady said that he can play until he's 33, and I think we should let him. The guy is a star, and I have yet to see his production greatly drop off. That said, we need much better depth at this position to help out.

As for the offensive line, I believe that we need more help at Guard than we do at Tackle. Jordan Mills is nothing special, but he is adequate. The big question is, are we finished with Cordy Glenn?

Wide Receiver needs upgrading, but I don't think we should use a high draft pick on one. If we re-sign Matthews, then the idea of having him paired with Benjamin sounds very exciting. I feel that Zay can rebound. Which leaves us with needing a deep threat, unless we decide to keep Thompson.

The Tight End position appears to be fine. Unless they decide to do something about Clay's big contract.

On the defensive side, it is obvious that DT & LB are the primary needs, and this is where I think we will see major positional moves in free agency and the draft. The secondary is set and just needs depth.

There is a lot to be done this off season, and I think that McDermott and Beane will be up to the task. Ending the drought was a major step forward for this new regime, and I think they are capable of keeping the Bills moving forward.

Next season will not be easy, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the playoffs again.

Completely on point. Well put, Mark. 

2 hours ago, Adam727 said:

The Bills lucked into a playoff spot this year with a few lucky bounces in an unusually weak AFC where the Colts/Texans both lost their starting QBs early in the year.  

Anytime the Bills do something good its due to luck.

Its always hard to get in playoffs. I think we can make it back if we play our cards right.

I think it really all depends on what the Bills do this offseason.

As they stand now, I think it'd be tough to get back to the playoffs next year. 

If theyre able to ulgrade the D line and LB corps, the defense could be even better. 

The biggest thing will will most likely be what they do on offense, especially at the QB position. Whether they go with a veteran or rookie, and the quality of that veteran or rookie. 

If they land land a good veteran QB like Smith or a Cousins or Brees (yeah I know, Brees won't happen...) I like our chances at the playoffs, especially if the Bills can hit on another draft class like this years. 

If they go with a rookie, it could go either way. It all depends on if he has a stellar rookie season or an up and down one (which would probably be the most likely scenario if they go that route). 

So, we could either be due for a nice step forward or a small step back, depending on what happens at the most important position on the team.

Both scenarios are (probably) better than just staying status quo though... I'm ready for Buffalo to find their QB. 

It's hard to have this conversation now without knowing what we are doing at QB and who will be starting next season.

It is entirely possible we do not make the playoffs again next year, and lots of fans will see that as a step backward.

It might be backward, it might NOT be backward.  It will depend on the direction we are going and how things are developing overall.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yet a team with a suck egg QB (as i read on here daily) was the 6th best team in the AFC this year and the 3rd best is led by Blake Bortles.

and you think Bortles is going to get them far in the playoffs? pfft.

Goal isn't just to get into playoffs now. If that's all you want then your a lost cause.

39 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I am a LOT more worried about the Jets than Miami -- especially with the 'average at best' Tanny at QB. I hope he does stay healthy so we can sweep them again.

And their hopless 4d chess Head Coach. He is a younger more hyped Joe Philbin.

The gap between the good to above-average teams is quite laser thin in the NFL.  On any given Sunday any of these teams can beat each other up...A few balls bounces this way or the other way, a few key injuries is all the difference to tilt the game one way or the other..

Besides Pittsburgh and New England,  the field is wide  open in the AFC and every one of the remaining 14 teams have a chance at the wild card spots.  The Bills will be one of them.  What worked for the Bills -  Focus, Discipline and the ball bouncing their way a few times.   They had the determination to will themselves to win the games they had a chance at winning and competing in those that they were not given a chance (the final scores may not reflect it). 

23 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

Welcome to the new NFL.   Loading up with big name players is out, and finding competent lower-cost players that fit specific roles is in.

If you can't give McDermott credit for doing a pretty damn good job of that in Year 1, I don't know what to tell you.  

As for the "lucky bounces" thing.....can you tell me any sport you've played from high school on where "luck" actually determined the winner of a game?   For me, the better team is going to end up winning 99 times out 100.  A play or two here and there does not win games despite what the highlight shows make it seem.  

Patriots have been doing this for 17 years

I don't get into the deep specifics about roster moves, draft picks, player personnel, etc....But I was driving home yesterday afternoon and put on the NFL Radio channel on my Sirius, and they were talking about the Bills/Jags game, and specifically talking about how the Bills have either traded or let go a ton of good players this year, who immediately went to other teams and were very beneficial to those other teams. The guys talking about it made a lot of sense, and it sure seemed to go 180 degrees against what a lot of people in here are saying (that the Bills front office and/or McDermott have been doing a great job this year...."Trust the Process"). 

Discuss. Thanks.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, reddogblitz said:

Yet a team with a suck egg QB (as i read on here daily) was the 6th best team in the AFC this year and the 3rd best is led by Blake Bortles.

And if you think for one second that this is the NORM in the NFL then you need to open your eyes.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:43 AM, John in Jax said:

I don't get into the deep specifics about roster moves, draft picks, player personnel, etc....But I was driving home yesterday afternoon and put on the NFL Radio channel on my Sirius, and they were talking about the Bills/Jags game, and specifically talking about how the Bills have either traded or let go a ton of good players this year, who immediately went to other teams and were very beneficial to those other teams. The guys talking about it made a lot of sense, and it sure seemed to go 180 degrees against what a lot of people in here are saying (that the Bills front office and/or McDermott have been doing a great job this year...."Trust the Process"). 

Discuss. Thanks.

This is one of those times where a person should have actually created a new thread.    It's an entirely different discussion.

I don't see a reason for pessimism. We were 9-7 with the team we have now. We have a wealth of draft picks and cap space to improve upon that.

We should also be improved by coming into the season with a healthy Glenn and Benjamin. Even if Glenn is traded we get more draft capital and cap space.

The only real ? I see is at QB, but we're trying to replace Tyrod, not Drew Brees. Unless we pluck a rookie who struggles or sign a vet who pulls a Bradford I think we should expect to improve.