With the 21st and 22nd pick the BuffaloBills Select....

I doubt Glenn will stay on the team through next year and I'd rather have Norwell, who is 7 years younger than Yanda, but that's just my personal matter of preference. If we're going with a young QB I want the best line possible in front of him and I don't have a problem paying for it.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I doubt Glenn will stay on the team through next year and I'd rather have Norwell, who is 7 years younger than Yanda, but that's just my personal matter of preference. If we're going with a young QB I want the best line possible in front of him and I don't have a problem paying for it.

Sounds good to me. 

O-line is something I definitely don't mind us investing a lot of money into. 

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I happen to think that Norwell is one of the 4 best guards in football

I'm also not going to pay him $12M/year to play marginally better football than the current LG, who costs 60% that much.

For me, I'm much more willing to shift Glenn over to RT and make a play for Yanda if/when he gets released (or Hubbard if Baltimore keeps Yanda) and roll with a front 5 of Dawkins-Richie-Wood-Yanda/Hubbard-Glenn.

That's $14 million for a RT. Higher by any other starting RT by $3 million. 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

rudolph has improved every year he's played. I'd take a hard look at him and it would be tough to pass on him

I've  watched Rosen every snap, as a Bruin season ticket holder, and I'd take Randolph over him any day. Mason Rudolph will have a good combine and Senior Bowl. He'll end up probably top 15 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

And?

i don't have to pay Dawkins LT $$ for a bare minimum of 2 more years, during which time I have him as one of the cheapest LTs in the game, so what's the problem?

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And?

i don't have to pay Dawkins LT $$ for a bare minimum of 2 more years, during which time I have him as one of the cheapest LTs in the game, so what's the problem?

The problem is you're still making Glenn the highest paid RT in the league by far when you could find a serviceable starter for 1/2 to 2/3 of his price. Plus, you could probably trade him for a pick or player. 

If you have a good young cheap WR1 you still don't want to make your WR2 the highest paid WR2 in the league.  

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

The problem is you're still making Glenn the highest paid RT in the league by far when you could find a serviceable starter for 1/2 to 2/3 of his price. Plus, you could probably trade him for a pick or player. 

If you have a good young cheap WR1 you still don't want to make your WR2 the highest paid WR2 in the league.  

That's very outdated thinking 

It is literally illegal (per the CBA) to give Dawkins a new deal prior to the completion of his 3rd accrued season, so even if you got rid of Glenn and brought in someone at 1/3 of his price, you're still paying your RT far more than your LT.

Me? I'd prefer to have he best set of tackles that I can. Having them at a total cap hit of $15M is fine by me.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's very outdated thinking 

It is literally illegal (per the CBA) to give Dawkins a new deal prior to the completion of his 3rd accrued season, so even if you got rid of Glenn and brought in someone at 1/3 of his price, you're still paying your RT far more than your LT.

Me? I'd prefer to have he best set of tackles that I can. Having them at a total cap hit of $15M is fine by me.

Don't you want to have the best balance of cost/talent at every position? I'd take a top 15 RT at $8-9 million per year over Glenn at $14 million per year. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Don't you want to have the best balance of cost/talent at every position? I'd take a top 15 RT at $8-9 million per year over Glenn at $14 million per year. 

No.

I want the best team that I can field.

You want to downgrade the set of tackles for the sake of creating cap space on a roster that is slated to have upwards of $50M of it once Taylor is released.

You can have a Dawkins/Glenn set of tackles at their current contracts--just as was planned when Dawkins was drafted--or you can choose to mess with it and create a hole that doesn't exist.

This team has enough holes in the roster; creating more of them is a poor approach to improving IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the thing.

If you really want a franchise QB, now's the time to do it. Smith has proven he isn't a franchise QB, so trading for him isn't the long-term answer. You either grab one in FA (Cousins is about as close as you can get to that), or you grab one in the draft.

If you're not sold on Cousins, then this is your opportunity to draft one. Not next year, this year. Why? Because this is the year you have the draft capital to grab the guy you want. If all goes as planned, they won't be anywhere near the top of the draft next year, and they won't have the same draft capital to move up. So unless Cousins is the man, then it's time to draft a franchise QB.

The real question is: do you think a guy will be there at #21 who can fill that role, or do you need to move up to get him? To me, it's now or never.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

That’s more than offset by Dawkins’ relative peanuts.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No.

You want to downgrade the set of tackles for the sake of creating cap space on a roster that is slated to have upwards of $50M of it once Taylor is released.

You can have a Dawkins/Glenn set of tackles at their current contracts--just as was planned when Dawkins was drafted--or you can choose to mess with it and create a hole that doesn't exist.

This team has enough holes in the roster; creating more of them is a poor approach to improving IMO.

^This. The idea is to get your best five O linemen on the field. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No.

If the team has enough holes on the roster, then I would think you would want even more $ to spend on those holes.

Given that Glenn has barely played and is at a real risk to continue not playing, that is a hole that already exists. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s more than offset by Dawkins’ relative peanuts.

^This. The idea is to get your best five O linemen on the field. 

Hypothetical: you have 4/5 OL positions filled with viable starters who all cost below average salaries - do you then pay the 5th OLman $20 million per year just because the other 4 offset it?

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If the team has enough holes on the roster, then I would think you would want even more $ to spend on those holes.

Given that Glenn has barely played and is at a real risk to continue not playing, that is a hole that already exists. 

Hypothetical: you have 4/5 OL positions filled with viable starters who all cost below average salaries - do you then pay the 5th OLman $20 million per year just because the other 4 offset it?

Depends entirely on who that fifth lineman is and what position he fills up front. 

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

How about drafting Josh Allen QB and Mason Rudolph QB. One of them has to pan out and if they both do, never happen, you could trade one for a schidt load of picks.

Are you saying we could trade the one who didn’t pan out for a crap load of picks? 

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

They have plenty of cap room to address needs.

They can sign a corner (Gaines or otherwise), a DT (i.e. Justin Ellis), and a speed WR (I like Brice Butler or Paul Richardson)--all in the Hyde/Poyer mold of undervalued player--and still have room to sign their treasure trove of draft picks with space to spare.

If you can't come away from the draft with a QB, pass rusher, and MLB with the number of picks that Buffalo has, then hang 'em up. 

You fill in the rest (backup RB, backup QB, etc) with low-end FAs and UDFAs.

9 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

+1 I'm tired of not taking an actual shot an trying for a good QB

I'm just over it. Look at what it has done for Phi and the Rams...There is no position of greater importance

Our 2 shots were JP and EJ

Please no more QBs with 2 initials

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, jrober38 said:

That's great.

Doesn't mean a lot though considering the top 2 QBs will be long gone by then. 

Maybe the Bills will think the 3rd or 4th best QB's have just as much ability or NFL potential as the top 2.

Or if we're really desperate, we have an extra 2nd, extra 5th and all of 2019's draft picks to go from 8 to Top 3.

17 hours ago, Rubes said:

Here's the thing.

If you really want a franchise QB, now's the time to do it. Smith has proven he isn't a franchise QB, so trading for him isn't the long-term answer. You either grab one in FA (Cousins is about as close as you can get to that), or you grab one in the draft.

If you're not sold on Cousins, then this is your opportunity to draft one. Not next year, this year. Why? Because this is the year you have the draft capital to grab the guy you want. If all goes as planned, they won't be anywhere near the top of the draft next year, and they won't have the same draft capital to move up. So unless Cousins is the man, then it's time to draft a franchise QB.

The real question is: do you think a guy will be there at #21 who can fill that role, or do you need to move up to get him? To me, it's now or never.

I agree with your assessment.  Its unanimous that Buffalo needs improved Qb play.  This year Buffalo has the cap flexability and draft capital to sign, trade or draft a franchise caliber QB.  If Buffalo does not do 1 or 2 of the options I suggested to obtain a Franchise caliber or potential Qb I would call this offseason a complete failure.