Watkins FA Value

Virgil

Just now, QCity said:

He's in the conversation. The fans crying over the Gaines trade was just over the top. You would have thought we just traded Andre Reed in his prime.

We would have Zay Jones (a rookie), and Thompson as WR's right now if it weren't for the Benjamin trade.

I am OK with it after the Benjamin trade, but the Watkins trade made no sense when we had no one for Tyrod to throw to.

Matthews would've been great if he could stay on the field which deserves the same criticism everyone gave Watkins flak for.

53 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

So, Goff, Tyrod, EJ and Kyles fault?

There is a reason WR's stats take a nosedive when they come here.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

LOL all of these suddenly vocal Bob Woods fans - an army of Dunkirk Dons...

I thought the Rams were crazy to give him that deal.  I was wrong.  But I couldn't justify it based on his production with the Bills. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In Buffalo Sammy simply didn't have a qb who could reliably pass. No question that Watkins acted out because of his frustration. While others harshly criticize him because of his intense competitiveness I'm less willing to do so. I'll take a ferocious player who at times allows it to go too far  over a less intense player who is more passive. Was Sammy too selfish and stat conscious in Buffalo? Yes. But that's not surprising for a young player who is super confident. I believe over time his intensity will be more properly channeled. The maturation process is not an instant process. I believe in his talent. And I believe that LA with its qb is a good situation for him.

When he was here, he played for stats and not the team and complained when he wasn't getting what he wanted.  That was just unacceptable.  Tyrod obviously hurt him but you can't let that get to you mentally and he did.  His injuries also seemed to have gotten to him and he took it out in the wrong way.  That's not what a teammate does, that's what a self-centered player does.  There are a lot of receivers like that but look at a guy like Benjamin, does his business even though he's hurt and not getting targets and still doesn't complain. I quickly learned to hate Sammy when he was here, he needed to grow up and stop being a distraction.  Not sure LA will want to give him any kind of big money, hope he gets better and figures things out wherever he goes

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

We would have Zay Jones (a rookie), and Thompson as WR's right now if it weren't for the Benjamin trade.

I am OK with it after the Benjamin trade, but the Watkins trade made no sense when we had no one for Tyrod to throw to.

Matthews would've been great if he could stay on the field which deserves the same criticism everyone gave Watkins flak for.

The Bills traded Watkins and Darby becasue they were getting Matthews and Gaines in return.  That Matthews ended-up ineffective due to injuries isn't on the Bills. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills traded Watkins and Darby becasue they were getting Matthews and Gaines in return.  That Matthews ended-up ineffective due to injuries isn't on the Bills. 

That's a joke. Watkins injuries certainly were. Let's not rewrite history. No one thought Watkins could stay on the field and that's part of the reason you all disliked him. If Watkins got hurt this year, you guys would be all over that. However he ends up playing 16 straight and Gaines (who had an injury history) plays 11 and Matthews plays 10. 

Now Gaines, and Matthews are up on free agency this year. Are we going to pay them? If not, then we traded Watkins, Darby, 3rd, 7th round picks for Benjamin and a 2nd and 3rd rounder, and 21 games combined from Gaines and Matthews.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

I thought the Rams were crazy to give him that deal.  I was wrong.  But I couldn't justify it based on his production with the Bills. 

Same. I don’t think anyone disliked woods. A lot of us thought we couldn’t afford to keep him at the market rate.

Add that to the fact that the team seemed to be committed to watkins as a no. 1, didn’t make sense to pay both guys top Dollar.

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

11+ per imo.  Big drop today.  BIG drop.  

Oh come on! That wasn't a drop. It was a classic "pass defensed" play. Great play by the defender (Jones), who was right on it. It is amazing what some people call "drops."

2 hours ago, BernieBill said:

Sammy Watkins is a bust, pure and simple.  He had 39 receptions for 593 yards this year ... and one catch in a playoff game.  Bills are fortunate to be done with the guy.

His qb had a terrible game and badly underthrew him on a deep pass where he had a step on the defender. 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Just looking at pure stats, watkins had a season that puts him in line with a lot of decent no. 2-ish receivers in the league (Henry hunter, amendola, terrence Williams, and Randall Cobb).

i think that’s how he’s going to be looked at and how’s he’s going to be paid.

I actually don’t see any teams wanting to give him a 1-year large Dollar “prove it” deal. Seems sort of ill-fitting to his situation. 

Whats crazy is that both woods and even glass Goodwin are going to Probably end up with better NFL careers than him, when all is said and done.

I think he's a great fit in Dallas because Dez Bryant, a formerly great player, has lost a step. Bryant is still good, but he's not what he was.

10 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Woods was the loss that hurt more. Sammy will get overpaid by someone. Hope it is not the Pats.  SF would seem to be a logical choice. They have the QB, cap space to overpay and a good coach/oc. 

But Woods left as a FA, rumor was he wanted to go t oa west coast team so not likely we could have signed him unless grossly overpaid for him.  So can't fault the Bills for losing him.

Watkins will be interesting based on his comments about wanting NBA type money, etc.  While I agree with most comments here about him getting middle of the road type money, does Watkins get that or is he going to be holding out for OBJ type money as he feels he's worth that.  Actually Beckham's contract will also be interesting as another guy who has some baggage. 

It also will be interesting to see how hard the Rams go after him.  Or will a year of seeing him up close every day make them realize he's not worth it.  If the Rams do let him walk, it's rather telling that the Bills did make the right move in dumping him when they could.

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

That's a joke. Watkins injuries certainly were. Let's not rewrite history. No one thought Watkins could stay on the field and that's part of the reason you all disliked him. If Watkins got hurt this year, you guys would be all over that. However he ends up playing 16 straight and Gaines (who had an injury history) plays 11 and Matthews plays 10. 

Now Gaines, and Matthews are up on free agency this year. Are we going to pay them? If not, then we traded Watkins, Darby, 3rd, 7th round picks for Benjamin and a 2nd and 3rd rounder, and 21 games combined from Gaines and Matthews.

Yes, but we got Benjamin and those draft picks. Sammy is going to want to get paid. The dude had 39 receptions this season, that isn’t good enough to invest in him long term. That justifies the trade imo. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh come on! That wasn't a drop. It was a classic "pass defensed" play. Great play by the defender (Jones), who was right on it. It is amazing what some people call "drops."

His qb had a terrible game and badly underthrew him on a deep pass where he had a step on the defender. 

I can't wait for the Benjamin trash talk next year when it comes to re sign him. He is on target for a 600 yard season here as well projected over 16 games.

It'll be:

"Guess he wasn't who we thought he was"

"Bust wr"

"Nothing to do with our passing attack or QBs"

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Yes, but we got Benjamin and those draft picks. Sammy is going to want to get paid. The dude had 39 receptions this season, that isn’t good enough to invest in him long term. That justifies the trade imo. 

Benjamin will want to get paid too, but Carolina did the smart thing and accepted his 5th year on his contract.

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

LOL all of these suddenly vocal Bob Woods fans - an army of Dunkirk Dons...

A few of us have been saying Woods is the better all around receiver. Last night was a good example of how Sammy won't go up to catch a contested ball. He has to be open. That's why he's usually only utilized on deep routes.

21 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

11 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Watkins had 3 seasons of either missing games due to injury or being very ineffective when he played.  I've seen people argue he only missed 11 games in three seasons and 8 were in 2016.  OK that's fine, but how many other games did he do nothing and the thought was that was due to him playing nicked up.  People can't have it both ways with Watkins, either was was always hurt, or he must have really just sucked as so many games that he did play in, he did pretty much nothing.

Matthews on the other hand, when he was traded top Buffalo, one of the comments I read was that he never missed any games due to injury. Looking at his career stats shows him only playing 14 games in 2016, looks like he missed the first and last game due to injury, but that was it. So the Bills traded for a guy who only missed two games over carer for injury, he comes here, has been banged up all year and your blaming that on the Bills, they should have somehow known.

As far as Sammy playing all year. I've said that since September.  He will likely play all year even if nicked up as this a contract year.  I'm convinced too if he had been with the Bills all year he also would have played through any minor nicks this year.  Trouble was while he played all season, didn't put up any great numbers 39 receptions for 593 yards, that's probably his worse year on a per game average.

5 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I never disliked Watkins, much less because he got hurt.  When he was drafted I liked his potential and that he grew up a Bills fan.  But his injuries just made him unreliable and a disappointment given what they gave up to get him, and we learned later that he was a bad teammate and all about himself.  I didn't like hearing that but I still don't hate him.

As for the trade, I had no problem with it because a) Matthews was just as productive as Watkins was, albeit less talented, b) Watkins barely contributed last year due to injury, and c) the Bills weren't going to let him walk at the end of the year so better to get something for him rather than nothing.  Matthews missed just 1 game due to injury when they traded for him, and he had as much production as Sammy, so he injuries this year were more bad luck than anything.  Sammy had a foot issue, that was a concern, and I remember seeing him on the first day of training camp having to work on the side with trainer thinking "oh no, he's still not healthy."

As for Gaines, he ended up playing more games than Darby and far, far better.  But he was as throw in in the trade.  They'll look to extend him.  Matthews will probably be left to leave and he probably wouldn't want to return anyway. 

15 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I can't wait for the Benjamin trash talk next year when it comes to re sign him. He is on target for a 600 yard season here as well projected over 16 games.

It'll be:

"Guess he wasn't who we thought he was"

"Bust wr"

"Nothing to do with our passing attack or QBs"

The Bills added Benjamin mid-season.  And he's still not healthy.  If he can't return to health by next season, then it will have been a bad trade.  But that remains to be seen. 

Although I'm not sure if they can cut him before the season starts and save that $8M?  As far as I can tell, his salary for 2018 isn't guaranteed. 

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he's a great fit in Dallas because Dez Bryant, a formerly great player, has lost a step. Bryant is still good, but he's not what he was.

Great receivers make plays and put up big numbers year in and year out ... they don't whine about the time they were underthrown and rationalize yet another year of subpar production and being outplayed by Robert Woods.

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He caught the ball with his chest.  Then jones made the play. If he caught the ball with strong hands; it’s a TD.   Is that how WRs are supposed to catch the ball, with their body?  It’s anazing to me that you think WRs are supposed to catch the ball eith their body.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Woods is a better receiver than Watkins and you saw it yesterday.  He is much more of a competitor and while he doesn't have the elite physical talent that Watkins has, he is still very talented and does all the little things much better such as route running.  Woods is a much more skilled and well rounded football player.  Watkins was dominant in college because he was just so talented, but in the NFL everyone is talented.  Watkins relies too much on his talent to ever truly be great.

Sammy is an elite WR. I believe my eyes. He doesn't get targeted though. There must be attitude issues or preparation issues which takes away coaches and QB trust. 

Watkins would be smart to head to Green Bay next year on a 1 year deal. Rodgers will straighten him out and make him a lot of money. New Orleans would be another great spot. Both teams will be looking for a WR. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts