Do You Give Panhandlers On Street Corners Money?

Rico

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's because they're making money, not food.

You sit at a busy street corner and watch successful panhandlers: they're getting at least one, probably two donations every five minutes. Depending on clientele and location, you can assume a 75 cent average per donation, so if they're doing 16 donations (and they easily can) that works out to around $12/hr. Only real variable is weather.

I don't know if it's true but I once heard that a college economics professor in NYC had a theory he could make six figures a year just by begging for change on the most foot traffic areas of the city.  He hit that 6 figure mark that year and then the government taxed him.

It is becoming a bit of an "epidemic" in my county.  So bad, in fact, that the county has actually started putting signs at intersections:

Image result for henrico county signs to not give to panhandlers

A couple of related stories:

There was a guy who recorded himself outing a woman who he watched park her 2016 car at a McDonalds and walk straight to the corner to panhandle.  She was in denial that she was doing anything wrong. http://wtvr.com/2017/05/23/micha-leigh-dominguez-arrest/

Also - a buddy of mine who is really involved with his church had some moving to do for the church and offered one of the panhandlers food for the day and $100 cash.  Guy responded "f you.  I can make 3 times that sitting here today".  Once he told me that story I never even considered giving to any of them because it might be that guy.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I do not, nor have I ever.

But I'm always torn.  I often wonder why this person is in this situation.  Are they some pedophile or rapist who can't find work?  But then I get mad at myself because, regardless why they're homeless, they do need help.

Although there is homelessness where I live, I rarely see it.  The "city," is small and I live in the neighboring town.  I only see it when I travel - usually when we go to NYC each summer.

Like others have mentioned above, I like to give to charities who have control over where the money goes.  I sit on a board for a NFP who assists homeless vets.  Even though I feel like I'm helping, I still feel badly for not giving to the panhandlers/beggars.

What's most difficult is helping make sense of it to my 14-year-old son.  He always wants to give something to them.  He knows the likelihood is that they'll not spend the money on food, which helps him understand why I don't just give them money.

Someone on here once suggested filling a backpack with little bags of chips/snacks and handing those out.  I actually like the idea, but we've never done it.  Perhaps this year.

I'm pretty similar in many regards. I can't remember ever giving money to a panhandler but the situation doesn't present itself very often.

Just before Christmas I was in Grand Central Station having breakfast with my family. Watched a homeless man picking through a garbage pail when a woman walked up to him and offered a bag of food. Looked like she had just bought it specifically for him or someone else homeless. He refused it. No idea why. Nerves, pride, whatever. He walked away, she left it next to the pail hoping he would come back for it and then walked away. A few minutes later a worker saw it tossed it the pail. Sad thing to see.

Over the summer I was in Chicago headed towards a convenience store in the early evening. There was a homeless guy asleep on the sidewalk and I watched a well-dressed couple place a large bag of left-overs next to him and walk away. Thought that was a cool gesture and I hope he accepted the food when he woke up.

24 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm pretty similar in many regards. I can't remember ever giving money to a panhandler but the situation doesn't present itself very often.

Just before Christmas I was in Grand Central Station having breakfast with my family. Watched a homeless man picking through a garbage pail when a woman walked up to him and offered a bag of food. Looked like she had just bought it specifically for him or someone else homeless. He refused it. No idea why. Nerves, pride, whatever. He walked away, she left it next to the pail hoping he would come back for it and then walked away. A few minutes later a worker saw it tossed it the pail. Sad thing to see.

Over the summer I was in Chicago headed towards a convenience store in the early evening. There was a homeless guy asleep on the sidewalk and I watched a well-dressed couple place a large bag of left-overs next to him and walk away. Thought that was a cool gesture and I hope he accepted the food when he woke up.

Used to travel a lot for work and would always have too much food as a group, so would always give the leftovers to homeless folk.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't know if it's true but I once heard that a college economics professor in NYC had a theory he could make six figures a year just by begging for change on the most foot traffic areas of the city.  He hit that 6 figure mark that year and then the government taxed him.

Yet... Aren't they out there "hustling."  That's revered right?  Respect the hustle?  

1 hour ago, Richmond_Bills said:

It is becoming a bit of an "epidemic" in my county.  So bad, in fact, that the county has actually started putting signs at intersections:

Image result for henrico county signs to not give to panhandlers

A couple of related stories:

There was a guy who recorded himself outing a woman who he watched park her 2016 car at a McDonalds and walk straight to the corner to panhandle.  She was in denial that she was doing anything wrong. http://wtvr.com/2017/05/23/micha-leigh-dominguez-arrest/

Also - a buddy of mine who is really involved with his church had some moving to do for the church and offered one of the panhandlers food for the day and $100 cash.  Guy responded "f you.  I can make 3 times that sitting here today".  Once he told me that story I never even considered giving to any of them because it might be that guy.   

These are "professional panhandlers"... Can't say I ever ran into one outside of the organizations standing in road with a boot and giving you a Tootsie Roll on behalf of the Kiwanas or Lion's Club.

I guess if I did see systemic, professional panhandling... Then no, I don't give a penny.

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yet... Aren't they out there "hustling."  That's revered right?  Respect the hustle?  

These are "professional panhandlers"... Can't say I ever ran into one outside of the organizations standing in road with a boot and giving you a Tootsie Roll on behalf of the Kiwanas or Lion's Club.

I guess if I did see systemic, professional panhandling... Then no, I don't give a penny.

I don't have any hard data to back this up but I'm prepared to offer an educated guess that over 50% of the guys you see with their hands out are what you'd call 'professionals'. Ragged clothes, dirt/grime, small talk...these guys are on the job.

The real bums are passed out behind the dumpster or too high to panhandle. 

If they get my attention and I have change I will give it to them.

A few times buying food for them over the last year.

People who look like they really don't belong begging but are clearly at the edge of their tether for some reason get my attention.

I see a dedicated racket in my area of so-called homeless "vets" that strategically place themselves in high traffic areas around Targets and restaurants.  These guys work in a pack, and rotate between the spots.  The police chase them off - but they reappear a few miles away where there are different police.  They don't harm anybody and they don't try to wash your windows or anything. 

What gives these guys away is #1 - they wear very clean, very new clothes with a just-purchased brand new American flag sticking out of the requisite backpack.  Plus, these guys don't look anybody in the eye.  Giveaway #2.  

Giveaway #3 is that the homeless in this area are largely invisible.  They live in camps in the woods or under a nearby bridge.  They only come in to civilization when it's brutally cold or they desperately need medical attention or need to show up for court, etc.  

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

But I'm always torn.  I often wonder why this person is in this situation.  Are they some pedophile or rapist who can't find work?  But then I get mad at myself because, regardless why they're homeless, they do need help.

Although there is homelessness where I live, I rarely see it.  The "city," is small and I live in the neighboring town.  I only see it when I travel - usually when we go to NYC each summer.

Like others have mentioned above, I like to give to charities who have control over where the money goes.  I sit on a board for a NFP who assists homeless vets.  Even though I feel like I'm helping, I still feel badly for not giving to the panhandlers/beggars.

What's most difficult is helping make sense of it to my 14-year-old son.  He always wants to give something to them.  He knows the likelihood is that they'll not spend the money on food, which helps him understand why I don't just give them money.

Someone on here once suggested filling a backpack with little bags of chips/snacks and handing those out.  I actually like the idea, but we've never done it.  Perhaps this year.

Non for profit for homeless vets...what has been achieved by your group in the past year? Awareness,some fund raising,a pig roast,donations from taxpayers? I would like to know..are you finding our combat vets gainful employment, if so,have you had a high success rate?

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Non for profit for homeless vets...what has been achieved by your group in the past year? Awareness,some fund raising,a pig roast,donations from taxpayers? I would like to know..are you finding our combat vets gainful employment, if so,have you had a high success rate?

No pig roast.  Plenty of donations from taxpayers (people who don't pay taxes don't donate much - especially to veterans, even though some very rich people (who don't pay taxes) claim to do so).  We help any vets who need it.  We have a house that has nine rooms and we assist the vets with job placement, paying whatever debts they have, getting their drivers licenses back, etc., with the goal of having them out of the house within a year.  We also offer emergency housing through relationships with various landlords in the area, as well as hotels.  There is no differentiation, or emphasis, placed on a combat vet vs. a non-combat vet.  A vet in need is a vet in need.

We don't allow any drugs or alcohol in the house, nor do we allow any convicted sex offenders into our program.

Here's one of the more recent updates from our Executive Director:

Great news coming for our homeless veterans and veterans in general! We are going to expand yet again!! We started with a 9 bed transitional house for homeless veterans, expanded into emergency housing for all veterans in need, expanded into permanent housing for disabled veterans, provided outreach for food and clothing for all veterans in need, now in aug 2018 we are expanding into helping veterans for emergency housing through a new grant. All said and done. We will continue with our 9 bed facility, our permanent housing for disabled veterans, our outreach for food and clothing and now emergency/ preventative/ assisted housing for veterans in need! We will be doing more than 30 to 40 scattered sites for all the combined programs. All our fundraising events will cover more veterans and all the money raised here stays here except for our outreach of clothing and food which can go beyond our four counties.

I'll close with telling you that our Treasurer is a former house resident who, without the Vet House, would likely be dead.

Honestly, I don't appreciate the snark with which your post was written.  If I misinterpreted, I apologize.  If I didn't, I hope you never need help from taxpayers, or anyone else.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

My son used to take gazillions of bag lunches into Piedmont Park where there is a huge (and mostly discreet) homeless population. He could relate and always amazed me that the lunches were all gone when he left. They would take the food, but they would rather have cash. No doubt! 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

My son used to take gazillions of bag lunches into Piedmont Park where there is a huge (and mostly discreet) homeless population. He could relate and always amazed me that the lunches were all gone when he left. They would take the food, but they would rather have cash. No doubt! 

It's amazing how many people randomly come and drop off food to the house.  The vets cook their own meals.  We have freezers for them to store the food they get and they eat well!!  Your son did a beautiful thing.  I can assure you that he not only helped a lot of people, but he gave them happiness and hope.

41 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Does he have to pass some kind of test? People who are trying to do good get my appreciation. It’s far better than most people, who do nothing. It’s fair to question the intentions of pan handlers. It doesn’t make them bad people by any means, but sometimes “helping” is not helping. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's amazing how many people randomly come and drop off food to the house.  The vets cook their own meals.  We have freezers for them to store the food they get and they eat well!!  Your son did a beautiful thing.  I can assure you that he not only helped a lot of people, but he gave them happiness and hope.

My wife chaired the Catholic Charities Ball for several years. The first year the title and theme was The Hope Ball, but the bishop said the word hope was used somewhere else in the diocese for something else. All the invitations and graphics were done, but he made us start over. We were on vacation in Bar Harbor in the most expensive hotel room we had ever personally paid for to that point in our lives. The vacation was totally lost to re-booting the Ball. 

The Bishop also balked at the cost of holding the event at the Ritz. She stood up to him. “If you want people who will write $10,000-50,000 checks, you can’t do it in a musty smelling hotel banquet room!” He backed down, and she raised the intake by several thousand percent in the first year. It became THE event to attend and support. (She’s amazing, BTW). He later came to my son’s football games and would seek us out. He knew he “oopsed”.  

Back to the topic, HOPE is everything in life.  I have a theory on trends and hope and happiness. Ask later if interested. I’m trying not to break the record for the world’s longest posts.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Back to the topic, HOPE is everything in life.  I have a theory on trends and hope and happiness. Ask later if interested. I’m trying not to break the record for the world’s longest posts.  

Your wife SOUNDS amazing!  I've urged our Executive Director to go a little bigger, but he has reasons (valid - which I'd be happy to discuss via PM) to keep our efforts practical.  With regard to your theory ... BRING IT!!  It's a subject near and dear to my heart and I have no doubt others who choose to read will benefit.  Lengthy posts with substance are great, in my book.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No pig roast.  Plenty of donations from taxpayers (people who don't pay taxes don't donate much - especially to veterans, even though some very rich people (who don't pay taxes) claim to do so).  We help any vets who need it.  We have a house that has nine rooms and we assist the vets with job placement, paying whatever debts they have, getting their drivers licenses back, etc., with the goal of having them out of the house within a year.  We also offer emergency housing through relationships with various landlords in the area, as well as hotels.  There is no differentiation, or emphasis, placed on a combat vet vs. a non-combat vet.  A vet in need is a vet in need.

We don't allow any drugs or alcohol in the house, nor do we allow any convicted sex offenders into our program.

Here's one of the more recent updates from our Executive Director:

Great news coming for our homeless veterans and veterans in general! We are going to expand yet again!! We started with a 9 bed transitional house for homeless veterans, expanded into emergency housing for all veterans in need, expanded into permanent housing for disabled veterans, provided outreach for food and clothing for all veterans in need, now in aug 2018 we are expanding into helping veterans for emergency housing through a new grant. All said and done. We will continue with our 9 bed facility, our permanent housing for disabled veterans, our outreach for food and clothing and now emergency/ preventative/ assisted housing for veterans in need! We will be doing more than 30 to 40 scattered sites for all the combined programs. All our fundraising events will cover more veterans and all the money raised here stays here except for our outreach of clothing and food which can go beyond our four counties.

I'll close with telling you that our Treasurer is a former house resident who, without the Vet House, would likely be dead.

Honestly, I don't appreciate the snark with which your post was written.  If I misinterpreted, I apologize.  If I didn't, I hope you never need help from taxpayers, or anyone else.

Gungy...brother.you're missing something..most of what you great folks are doing Is a short term resolve,it's not a solution.Can I ask you for a massive favor??? Just give this some thought...why not talk with your county/village council members to develop a program within sub govt housing? Leave a certain amount for their cola and the rest is covered via meals on wheels,ebt assistance and proper counseling? I know....it's all about funding..but if we can support people who are to damn lazy to work and have babies for money..we should sure as hell better be able to take care of our retired/former military better.I'm sorry I vented towards you directly! Please keep up the fight.

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Your wife SOUNDS amazing!  I've urged our Executive Director to go a little bigger, but he has reasons (valid - which I'd be happy to discuss via PM) to keep our efforts practical.  With regard to your theory ... BRING IT!!  It's a subject near and dear to my heart and I have no doubt others who choose to read will benefit.  Lengthy posts with substance are great, in my book.

HOPE is huge. Who is happier? The guy who has been homeless and gets a job painting a junky apartment building, then finding a job as a superintendent with a room that gives him a roof over his head? A place to live, a pay check that allows him to buy food.  Or the millionaire developer who is struggling with his empire, possibly losing the mansion on the water, with his portfolio devastated? Bankers chasing him. Afraid to answer the phone. The trophy wife wants out, maybe taking the kids. Where does the trend arrow point? That dictates a lot of your happiness level, I think.  The developer could still be millions ahead of the superintendent, but who’s happier? Who is more thankful for life? Hope. 

My son said recently he was aided in his recovery by the HOPE of getting his son back. Then he was crippled by the FEAR of losing him. Hope is great. Fear is awful. 

Edited by Augie

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Gungy...brother.you're missing something..most of what you great folks are doing Is a short term resolve,it's not a solution.Can I ask you for a massive favor??? Just give this some thought...why not talk with your county/village council members to develop a program within sub govt housing? Leave a certain amount for their cola and the rest is covered via meals on wheels,ebt assistance and proper counseling? I know....it's all about funding..but if we can support people who are to damn lazy to work and have babies for money..we should sure as hell better be able to take care of our retired/former military better.I'm sorry I vented towards you directly! Please keep up the fight.

The latest statistics show that Veterans make up as high as 60% of the homeless population in the US. Up to 80% in larger cities. Our house creates programs that fit the needs of the Vet, because each Veteran is unique and needs a tailor made program to fit that particular need, and not some “cookie cutter” program that works for some of the Veterans some of the time.

I get what you're saying.  We are accomplishing great things for hundreds of vets across multiple counties.  This is completely separate from other forms of assistance.  And - as one who was laid off, I can tell you that not everyone who is unemployed is too lazy to work.  Luckily, I didn't need support, but there are many who do because of the world we live in; not because they don't want to work.

But I'm only speaking on behalf of the NFP I'm associated with.  I'll end this part of the conversation here, because I don't feel the need to prove the value our house brings to vets in need in my community.

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

Does he have to pass some kind of test? People who are trying to do good get my appreciation. It’s far better than most people, who do nothing. It’s fair to question the intentions of pan handlers. It doesn’t make them bad people by any means, but sometimes “helping” is not helping. 

No,there is no test to pass.We have problems in America,we always have.I can tell Gunner is a solid guy and well grounded,this is why typing on the internet does little justice.If me and him were to have a sit down,face to face shared lunch together..we'd hug at the end.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

HOPE is huge. Who is happier? The guy who has been homeless and gets a job painting a junky apartment building, then finding a job as a superintendent with a room that gives him a roof over his head? A place to live, a pay check that allows him to buy food.  Or the millionaire developer who is struggling with his empire, possibly losing the mansion on the water, with his portfolio devastated? Bankers chasing him. The trophy wife wants out, maybe taking the kids. Where does the trend arrow point? That dictates a lot of your happiness level, I think.  The developer could still be millions ahead of the superintendent, but who’s happier? Who is more thankful for life? Hope. 

My son said recently he was aided in his recovery by the HOPE of getting his son back. Then he was cripple by the FEAR of losing him. Hope is great. Fear is awful. 

A couple things come to mind with this, for me.

The comparison between the homeless guy who gets a job vs. the millionaire is one I have implored upon my son from a young age (he's only 14 now).

Secondly, the fear of loss is huge.  Love = the fear of losing.  There's no quicker lesson in life to teach us that than becoming parents, is there?  Hope is a phenomenal motivator (another lesson I teach my son).  But I tell him that we can't be crippled by fear.  It is awful. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A couple things come to mind with this, for me.

The comparison between the homeless guy who gets a job vs. the millionaire is one I have implored upon my son from a young age (he's only 14 now).

Secondly, the fear of loss is huge.  Love = the fear of losing.  There's no quicker lesson in life to teach us that than becoming parents, is there?  Hope is a phenomenal motivator (another lesson I teach my son).  But I tell him that we can't be crippled by fear.  It is awful. 

I’d rather be happy than rich. I’d still live in SW FL and play tennis almost every day, and work at the job I loved. Hit the beach when nearby. My wife was raised to be more driven. She was rewarded for achievement as a kid. She’s amazing and has allowed us to do everything possible to help our kids. Family is everything.

When she “retires” she will run a foundation. She has already been sought out to do this. She was on the Board for St Jude Children’s Hospital for years. She just won’t take the paycut yet. These jobs for big foundations pay well, and everyone loves the people handing out money. 

Sorry if this sounds....odd.  In several ways. I’d just like to be happy right now. Tough times... Working on it...

• Like (+1) 1