Checking in with the Jags message board

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

They played 7 games before they traded for him and gave up 138.6 yards per game. If we want to pretend that Bilal Powell carry would go for no yards, that would make the average in the first 7 games 127.2 yards per game. 138.6 would have been the worst in the league by over 4.5 yards if they maintained that pace over 16 games. 127.2 would have been 30th. Just above the Bengals (127.9) and just below the Bills (124.6)

They gave up 98.9 yards per game in the 9 games Dareus was on the roster, which would have been 8th in the league over 16 games. Something something sample size.

Being ahead in a game can factor into rushing yards allowed.

When teams get behind they tend to get pass happy.

What was the split on passing yards allowed before and after.....that would or could be a telling stat.

Pass rush wise and pass defense wise they are extremely scary. They have 2 double digit sack players and 2 other players with 8 sacks each, safe to say they get after the QB. Their secondary is one of if not the best in the league. Ramsey and Bouye are all pros and the surrounding players are pretty good too. Their rush defense was bad but since Dareus has joined them their rush defense has been one of the best in the league. The Jags might have the best defense in the league. Their big issue is their offense which hangs their defense out to dry at times. 

Fournette is a good running back but he hasn't been dynamic only getting 3.9 yards a carry, Bortles has had a decent year but without Allen Robinson, their offense just doesn't have any consistent threats on the outside and Bortles at best is mediocre. To me it is obvious that the defense is going to have to be lock down, if the Jags score 14 points it is likely to be enough know the matchup on the other side of the ball. 

Jacksonville could dominate us up front on both sides. It could also go the way of them having the edge but us erasing it as that offense is not very efficient and Tyrod is capable of doing a lot with broken plays and aggressive defenses.  

This is a game we can win. I posted back in October the drought would end based on turnover ratio.  At that time the turnover ratio was getting so extreme it would have been downright improbable to miss the playoffs. It normalized and we almost missed the playoffs, but still the most predictable angle on turnovers is QB play. Taylor doesn't throw INT's. He has 4 all year, 1 in every 105 attempts, only 4 fumbles. He has been that way every year. Bortles has 13 INT's, 1 in every 40 attempts, and 9 fumbles. He has been turnover prone every year.  Bills ranked 6th in INT's,  Jacksonville 2nd, but the Bills have the clear edge based on QB's.

In a close defensive oriented game turnovers always determine the outcome. Jacksonville has benefited from this all season. I don't see them doing so on Sunday. We want a sloppy defensive game. Jacksonville plays that way naturally. This was a great draw for us in the scheme of things.  

Edited by KzooMike

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

Being ahead in a game can factor into rushing yards allowed.

When teams get behind they tend to get pass happy.

What was the split on passing yards allowed before and after.....that would or could be a telling stat.

161.7 passing ypg in the first 7 (they ended up 1st with a 169.9 average over 16)

275.1 passing ypg in the last 9 (this would be dead last by a large margin. TB was 32nd at 260.6, then NYG with 252.4 and NE with 251.2.)

I have been trolling their board a little this week.

They think they will blow us out and I was told to "be careful, this is not a place to show up with a puffy chest".

Lol. Pussbags. Not sure they are ready for the drunk, obnoxious, belligerence of northern fans that actually give a ****. 

Just now, Shotgunner said:

I have been trolling their board a little this week.

They think they will blow us out and I was told to "be careful, this is not a place to show up with a puffy chest".

Lol. Pussbags. Not sure they are ready for the drunk, obnoxious, belligerence of northern fans that actually give a ****. 

Ya they seem to be cocky...

11 hours ago, JM57 said:

They played 7 games before they traded for him and gave up 138.6 yards per game. If we want to pretend that Bilal Powell carry would go for no yards, that would make the average in the first 7 games 127.2 yards per game. 138.6 would have been the worst in the league by over 4.5 yards if they maintained that pace over 16 games. 127.2 would have been 30th. Just above the Bengals (127.9) and just below the Bills (124.6)

They gave up 98.9 yards per game in the 9 games Dareus was on the roster, which would have been 8th in the league over 16 games. Something something sample size.

YPG is horrible. YPC is far from perfect but it's a much better indication of a decent defense. 

I think it was last year the top 10 tens in allowing YPC were almost all in the playoffs.

This year seems to be pretty split with some of the stronger "contenders" allowing over 4.5 YPC. Surprising.

The Bills and Jags currently stand at 4.3, that about sums it up. Far from impossible even with Mount Dareus, much easier to climb than Mount Washington! 

Edited by Commonsense

16 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

If the Jags have a running game even remotely close to which the Saints had on us, we are doomed. If we can stop the run or hold the run to below 120 yards and not give up big plays I think we have a shot. But Tyrod is gonna need to make some plays with the ball.

That's two huge things that really haven't worked for us this year: 1) Tyrod slinging it efficiently and scoring TDs 2) The Defense stopping the run

Saints are totally different team. They have a HOF QB that the defense had to respect. Later the D flat quit in that game. 

Bills will stack the box and invite Bortles to throw. 

Game me comes down to Bills run D and Tyrod. If they stop the run and TT plays well, they will be OK. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JM57 said:

Last 5 games the Jags gave up 141, 141, 131, 116 and 89 yds rushing. The 141, 141, and 131 were against 21st 22nd and 23rd ranked rushing offenses. The other 2 offenses were 14th and 15th. Their rushing defense in the past 5 games has been one of the worst in the league and they haven't even faced a good run attack.