White pff rookie of the year

If you collectively look at this draft class you see players such as Dawkins, Zay Jones, White and Milano who are not only good prospects but mature people who are self-motivated  and dedicated to their profession. None of these players are dazzling. All of them are the type of players/people you want to build a roster with. Dareus is without a doubt one of the most talented defensive tackles in the league. However, his talent wasn't always actualized because of his immaturity on and off the field. While many people scoff at the notion of character and the type of guys wanted on the roster by McDermott as time goes by his approach to building the roster will become more evident. It's not so much as acquiring talent as it is as building a roster. This profile of player is also apparent with the acquisition of players such as Hyde, Poyer andGaines.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

New Orleans has a good shot at players winning both ORY and DRY with Kamara and Lattimore...talk about 2 homeruns in a single draft...

Has that ever happened before? ORY and DRY on the same team?

Edited by matter2003

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

New Orleans has a good shot at players winning both ORY and DRY with Kamara and Lattimore...talk about 2 homeruns in a single draft...

Has that ever happened before? ORY and DRY on the same team?

Good question. The 1967 Lions did

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Nice accolade from a respected org, but I’m waiting/hoping for the League to award him for it as well.

No chance. Lattimore and White deserve it but I think it goes to the better defense and team. Lattimore will win it. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you collectively look at this draft class you see players such as Dawkins, Zay Jones, White and Milano who are not only good prospects but mature people who are self-motivated  and dedicated to their profession. None of these players are dazzling. All of them are the type of players/people you want to build a roster with. Dareus is without a doubt one of the most talented defensive tackles in the league. However, his talent wasn't always actualized because of his immaturity on and off the field. While many people scoff at the notion of character and the type of guys wanted on the roster by McDermott as time goes by his approach to building the roster will become more evident. It's not so much as acquiring talent as it is as building a roster. This profile of player is also apparent with the acquisition of players such as Hyde, Poyer andGaines.

The jury is still out on Jones, but Milano shows real promise. He's not great yet, but shows steady improvement. Same for Dawkins. Lattimore and that RB in NO were popular favs, but PFF got it right.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's quite remarkable that we have so many posters who purport themselves to be knowledgeable of the game who cannot mentally process that collecting individual talent does not equate successful team success.  While talent is very important and needed to succeed in any professional sports setting what is also important is team mentality and culture.  Some people can attempt to rationalize that this year was a fluke and that McD/Beane's emphatic attempt to change culture and bring in THEIR guys and remove all the guys they didn't believe fit their vision was some sort of a coincidence.  But logic tells you otherwise, these guys clearly removed some talent from the team from players that at best weren't all in with the team philosophy and despite the shortcomings the Bills had from a talent perspective, still was able to overcome, consistently beat the teams they were supposed to beat and getting the victory in KC was huge.    I'm excited to see what this organization does in the off season to stock up on talent.

In regards to White, what a great selection.  The guy epitomizes everything you want in a football player.  Extremely talented, dedicated, energetic and is all in with what this TEAM is trying to do.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

The jury is still out on Jones, but Milano shows real promise. He's not great yet, but shows steady improvement. Same for Dawkins. Lattimore and that RB in NO were popular favs, but PFF got it right.

I agree with you that it is still an open question whether Jones will play up to his draft status. I'm more optimistic on his development than many. He was too productive in college for it not to translate to the pro game. It's not unusual for rookies to struggle. Young players adapt at different rates. Ask yourself how many people here foolishly jumped to the conclusion that Goff was a bust because he struggled in his rookie year? I'm optimistic about Jones because everything I have heard about him is that he is a good kid and a hard working kid who is serious about his profession. My sense (guess) is that next year he is going to take a major leap forward. 

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

It's quite remarkable that we have so many posters who purport themselves to be knowledgeable of the game who cannot mentally process that collecting individual talent does not equate successful team success.  While talent is very important and needed to succeed in any professional sports setting what is also important is team mentality and culture.  Some people can attempt to rationalize that this year was a fluke and that McD/Beane's emphatic attempt to change culture and bring in THEIR guys and remove all the guys they didn't believe fit their vision was some sort of a coincidence.  But logic tells you otherwise, these guys clearly removed some talent from the team from players that at best weren't all in with the team philosophy and despite the shortcomings the Bills had from a talent perspective, still was able to overcome, consistently beat the teams they were supposed to beat and getting the victory in KC was huge.    I'm excited to see what this organization does in the off season to stock up on talent.

In regards to White, what a great selection.  The guy epitomizes everything you want in a football player.  Extremely talented, dedicated, energetic and is all in with what this TEAM is trying to do.

Terrific post. You are astute and perspicacious!

There is a significant aspect to the personnel decisions made by the McBeane regime not recognized by many. It takes courage and boldness to actually carry out your vision of how a roster should be built. It's easy to spout out noble descriptions about team concepts and character requirements you want to exist within your team. But to actually act on it when it applies to some of your best players takes a lot of fortitude. Trading an enticing talent such as Watkins took a lot of courage. What it represented is the coach having the courage to live up to his convictions. It also took a lot of courage to trade Dareus, a tremendous talent but also an underachieving talent, for little in return. Yet in the big picture it was a clear indication that this regime was going to reshape this ill fitting roster to a more cohesive unit. 

I have said it in many posts that this overachieving team is in the midst of a rebuilding project. Some of the hard decisions that related to dispatching talented players is for the purpose of enhancing the roster in the future rather than for the immediate impact. Under this regime there is a coherency and conceptual thought that didn't exist in prior regimes. I'm on board with this line of reasoning and acting. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Terrific post. You are astute and perspicacious!

There is a significant aspect to the personnel decisions made by the McBeane regime not recognized by many. It takes courage and boldness to actually carry out your vision of how a roster should be built. It's easy to spout out noble descriptions about team concepts and character requirements you want to exist within your team. But to actually act on it when it applies to some of your best players takes a lot of fortitude. Trading an enticing talent such as Watkins took a lot of courage. What it represented is the coach having the courage to live up to his convictions. It also took a lot of courage to trade Dareus, a tremendous talent but also an underachieving talent, for little in return. Yet in the big picture it was a clear indication that this regime was going to reshape this ill fitting roster to a more cohesive unit. 

I have said it in many posts that this overachieving team is in the midst of a rebuilding project. Some of the hard decisions that related to dispatching talented players is for the purpose of enhancing the roster in the future rather than for the immediate impact. Under this regime there is a coherency and conceptual thought that didn't exist in prior regimes. I'm on board with this line of reasoning and acting. 

We generally agree, John.  But as you know, acquiring a franchise qb is paramount for long-term success.  Here's my concern.  My top three qbs in the draft right now are Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield.  Unlikely we will be in a position to trade up for the first two and I wonder if McD will see past Mayfield's immaturity or if he will conclude it is character issues and pass.  I think the latter is a misread, though the fellas who interpret Mayfield as Johnny Football 2.0 concur.  In any event, they will have to trade up for qb.  If they wait for the draft to come to them, you are looking at the fourth or fifth best available given how many teams are looking for qb this year.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

We generally agree, John.  But as you know, acquiring a franchise qb is paramount for long-term success.  Here's my concern.  My top three qbs in the draft right now are Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield.  Unlikely we will be in a position to trade up for the first two and I wonder if McD will see past Mayfield's immaturity or if he will conclude it is character issues and pass.  I think the latter is a misread, though the fellas who interpret Mayfield as Johnny Football 2.0 concur.  In any event, they will have to trade up for qb.  If they wait for the draft to come to them, you are looking at the fourth or fifth best available given how many teams are looking for qb this year.

I agree with you that Rosen and Darnold will probably not be attainable. I'm a big fan of Mayfield. Of all the high end qb prospects in this draft he is in my opinion the most passionate prospect/person. What does that mean? Football is important to him. He is totally invested from a preparation and emotional standpoint. Anyone who thinks he is a Manziel type person is making an unfair comparison. His players love him and are drawn to his charisma. One scene made a major impression on me. In a big game one of his players either fumbled or dropped a pass. He was the first player to reach out to him and embrace him and tell him we'll get right back out there and turn things around. Anyone who thinks that he is a self-absorbed diva who only cares for the spotlight is clueless to who he is and what he represents. 

The mistake that the Bills have historically made that has weighed this franchise down with respect to acquiring qbs is that it has taken the approach of allowing the "inability to attain perfection to be the enemy of the good." If you can't get the best prospect that doesn't mean that you can't get a franchise qb. It's not unusual that the lesser rated qb turns out in the long run to be the best qb. Who is to say that Lamar Jackson in the long run might not be the best of the bunch?

Anyone who believes that by simply getting a legitimate franchise qb on the roster it is going to cure all the team's deficiencies is badly mistaken. The team needs a lot more talent in a number of positions before it becomes a serious team. However, until the franchise qb is added to the roster this team will continue to be a fringe playoff team.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that Rosen and Darnold will probably not be attainable. I'm a big fan of Mayfield. Of all the high end qb prospects in this draft he is in my opinion the most passionate prospect/person. What does that mean? Football is important to him. He is totally invested from a preparation and emotional standpoint. Anyone who thinks he is a Manziel type person is making an unfair comparison. His players love him and are drawn to his charisma. One scene made a major impression on me. In a big game one of his players either fumbled or dropped a pass. He was the first player to reach out to him and embrace him and tell him we'll get right back out there and turn things around. Anyone who thinks that he is a self-absorbed diva who only cares for the spotlight is clueless to who he is and what he represents. 

The mistake that the Bills have historically made that has weighed this franchise down with respect to acquiring qbs is that it has taken the approach of allowing the "inability to attain perfection to be the enemy of the good." If you can't get the best prospect that doesn't mean that you can't get a franchise qb. It's not unusual that the lesser rated qb turns out in the long run to be the best qb. Who is to say that Lamar Jackson in the long run might not be the best of the bunch?

Anyone who believes that by simply getting a legitimate franchise qb on the roster it is going to cure all the team's deficiencies is badly mistaken. The team needs a lot more talent in a number of positions before it becomes a serious team. However, until the franchise qb is added to the roster this team will continue to be a fringe playoff team.   

Yeah, I think Mayfield demonstrates leadership often and this is missed by his detractors apparently.  I am hoping we trade up to get him, because I don't think he will fall to us.  There's no doubt that we have numerous holes to fill.  I don't think many folks actually believe franchise qb alone is needed.  There has to be a prudential calculation as to what price is too much to move up, but I'll be disappointed if we aren't aggressive in filling the position.