Poyer and hyde

Hebert19

35 minutes ago, TPS said:

Without those two, the Bills don't make the playoffs.

Without a doubt!! Several end-zone plays where they blocked the pass! I was super excited when we signed Hyde. I knew how good he was in Green Bay and still amazed they didn't try to re-sign him!! I knew nothing of Poyer and have been very, very pleased with his performance and enthusiasm!!! Add EJ Gaines to this as well!!

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan

7 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

As a fan of the team, if they don't know a player that has been brought in, before having a negative view of the player, they should read what other posters here are saying and do some research of their own and then make a decision whether they will contribute to the team or not.

That's what should happen, doesn't always work out that way though

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was one of the few who knew who Jordan Poyer was since I watched him with the Browns. I knew he a high potential player who dealt with some injuries and well liked especially by Pettine when he was there. But I will admit I expected him to be a backup. What a signing.

I didn't know anything about him, but for what they signed him for, I knew he wasn't going to be a backup.  At least not initially.

With defense, a lot of it seems to be how the players skills and abilities fit the system. These guys fit like a glove. Its a good sign that our coach can recognize talent that fits what he wants to do. Lets hope for another great draft this year. 

With all of the focusing (at least dollars wise in FA) cornerbacks, it's somehow a surprise that quality safety play elevates the whole secondary. These were two huge pickups, and Poyer in particular has surprised me. I agree that if we sign Gaines back and draft another CB our secondary looks set for years.

Everyone kind of knew about the ability of Micah Hyde but the Jordan Poyer signing and even the trade to pick up EJ Gaines were both homerun hits.  But the fact that Micah Hyde is in his first pro bowl and Jordan Poyer is playing at a pro bowl level I think is a testament to McDermott's coaching style and system as well. Poyer is really playing as a top 5 to 10 safety in the league but he's getting paid like the 30th safety in the league

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

Poyer has been incredible. Apparently McDermott likes former baseball players for his safeties because they know how to track a ball, and Poyer is great evidence of that philosophy. When Lorenzo Alexander forced the AJ Green fumble in Cincy, Poyer grabbed the ball as it bounced off the ground like it was nothing. And he always seems to time his breaks perfectly in the end zone. Best free agent signing in over 5 years IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Everyone kind of knew about the ability of Micah Hyde but the Jordan Poyer signing and even the trade to pick up EJ Gaines were both homerun hits.  But the fact that Micah Hyde is in his first pro bowl and Jordan Poyer is playing at a pro bowl level I think is a testament to McDermott's coaching style and system as well. Poyer is really playing as a top 5 to 10 safety in the league but he's getting paid like the 30th safety in the league

Actually Hyde is 30th and Poyer is 44th. 

Just now, Doc said:

Actually Hyde is 30th and Poyer is 44th. 

Even better! And I believe hyde is on a five-year contract and Poyer is on a four year contract but If i remember right Hyde  had a big signing bonus.....either way really excited about our secondary moving forward

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

I won't be surprised if Poyer is rewarded with a salary boost in the near future.

Edited by TPS

The interesting part of this whole thing is how the bills will handle the EJ Gaines situation.   When healthy he's played extremely well but he's rarely healthy so will another team be willing to give him a long-term contract or will the bills be able to snag him on a 1 to 2 year prove it deal

They might be the best safety tandem in the league - pretty amazing for two guys who never played together before and were in the league but couldn't break the starting lineup for their original teams.  I guess Poyer was slated to start for the Browns, when he got a lacerated kidney putting him out for the season.

54 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

But i don’t think beane was hired until May. 

I suspect McD had some role in these signings, but Whaley was the GM and probably should get props too.

McD said in the beginning of the year that  LB coach Bob Babich is responsible for Poyer. He was a coach in Cleveland when Poyer was  there and he talked him up as a FA to look at.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1