Wild Card Weekend: Bills vs. Jaguars Sunday at 1 PM ET - Inactives Announced with Shady In & MIlano Out

I'm hoping the Bills gameplan lots of Tyrod runs today.   I think he will be the key figure if we end up winning.

Seriously, I'm thinking about 10 rushes for Tyrod and lots of throws on the run.  Conventional run game I don't believe will get it done, it will have to be loosed up with Tyrod rushing, scrambling, play action and passing.    Got to get them off balance.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What the hell does that one play have to do with Flutie being the superior quarterback for that 1999 team?

Yeah...anyone who says otherwise is nuts.

Flutie was great for the team we had at the time. It was unfortunate he got his best shot yanked out from under him.

2 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Any chance Marrone tries to re-create the forward lateral from 1999, if he gets the chance? Just to really stick it to us?

If we lose in that way again, I'll stop watching football.

Ironically, this Jaguars team reminds me of many recent Bills teams.  Especially Doug Marrone's last year here with Jim Schwartz as Defensive Coordinator.

- Very good pass defense, mostly because of a great D-Line and pass rush.

- Rush defense is suspect.

- Very good rushing offense.

- Pass offense is weak, because of an inconsistent QB.

The big difference between the 2014 Bills (who finished 9-7) and this Jaguars team (who finished 10-6) is that we played in the same division as the New England Patriots, and it took a month before Marrone could replace the terrible EJ Manuel at quarterback. 

Talent-wise, the Jaguars clearly have a superior roster.  But like the old Bills squad, their weakest point (Blake Bortles) could be the equalizer.  Our defense really needs to force some interceptions this weekend.  Tyrod Taylor is a mediocre QB, but he doesn't turn the ball over.  And he may be able to exploit that defense with his legs. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Backing into the playoffs? 

They clinched a playoff spot three weeks ago and lost to the 49ers who were probably the hottest team to end the season and the desperate Titans in Tennessee. 

The Bills beat the lowly Colts and Dolphins twice(whom treated Week 17 like it was a preseason game)while needing a miracle from Andy Dalton to get in.

Come on dude. Jacksonville has the better roster and more talented team. 

The Bills have a shot because they are well coached defensively and because of everybody's favorite whipping boy around here in Tyrod on our team and Blake Bortles on the other. 

Our whipping boy doesnt put up yards.  Yours throws picks.  That is why Buffalo are live dogs.  They did clinch but if Jax won out woildnt they gotten a first rd bye?

58 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yeah...anyone who says otherwise is nuts.

Flutie was great for the team we had at the time. It was unfortunate he got his best shot yanked out from under him.

If we lose in that way again, I'll stop watching football.

And it's amazing he gets a mulligan for the brutal turnover that would have tarred and feathered any other Bills player. CoF!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 hours ago, eball said:

Complete b.s.  Up until their loss to SF in W16 they were in the running for a 1st round bye, and there's no way in hell Marrone wanted to lose again to the Titans, knowing it was likely they would face them again this week.  They just lost, plain and simple, and didn't look good.

You started out strong and classy in this thread but you're deteriorating rapidly.

As someone who has watched every snap of every game this season, I can tell you that the playcalling got extremely vanilla once the playoffs were clinched with very few downfield shots or crossing patterns. Coincidentally, a lot of injuries piled up around this time too. The SF game was our second game in a row played with three rookie wideouts. Of course, Marrone wanted to win in Tennessee. But he was trying to win with execution, not scheme. And the way we have been able to win a lot of games is by finding mismatches in the passing game (that weak link you guys love to bash). I would expect us to try to take shots on your nickel CB on Sunday.

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on Swag, how would you guys fare playing the Patriots twice a year?

Jags got an overall 1-10-0 record with the Pats.

If the Jags were in the AFC East you probably wouldn't of made the playoffs!

If the Jags were in the AFC East, you would not have made the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I get it.

As a Jags fan on a Bills board he's got to expect it. 

I can take it. I know the fan base's bark is not as big as your team's bite. And it's all in good fun. 

Woodson picks Jaguars to win easily (0:51)
Darren Woodson says Bills QB Tyrod Taylor will struggle against the Jaguars defense.

PLAYOFF PREVIEW
Matt Harmon goes in depth for all six AFC playoff teams, analyzing where each squad shines and how it could stumble. Here's your complete guide to the 2018 playoff teams.

3) Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6)

Strength: Conglomerate-driven superhero films have long ago reached the point of oversaturation in today's culture, but the marriage of powers between Jacksonville's defensive line and backfield has formed to create the NFL's truest example of a supergroup. The Jaguars combine a pass rush led by double-digit sack artists Calais Campbell (14.5) and Yannick Ngakoue(12) with a clamping secondary stocked with a pair of shutdown cornerbacks in Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye. The Jags allow a miniscule passer rating of 47.5 when they get pressure while snaring eight picks, per Next Gen Stats. It's one of the most fearsome stop units assembled in the last decade, at least.

Weakness: Blake Bortles has undoubtedly had the most stable season of his career in 2017, but given his history and even some moments of self-sabotage this season, it's fair to point to him as this well-rounded team's weakness. Bortles particularly struggles when plays break down from the crafted structure Jacksonville wants to keep in place. In Weeks 16 and 17, Bortles completed just five of 18 pass attempts under pressure for 46 yards, per Next Gen Stats. If the Jaguars fall behind and defenses can pin their ears back, their quarterback doesn't inspire confidence.

6) Buffalo Bills (9-7)

Strength: Sean McDermott regularly compiled ragtag groups of young players and castoff veterans to field surprisingly strong secondaries during his time as the Carolina Panthers' defensive coordinator. He's done it again as the head man in Buffalo. The Bills rank in the top six in interceptionsand passer rating allowed despite registering just 27 sacks. It's been a mix of young and old once again for McDermott. First-round rookie Tre'Davious White was a home-run pick, as opposing quarterbacks have a 64.3 passer rating when targeting the LSU product, per Next Gen Stats. Unheralded free-agent additions Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer combined for 10 picks, with Hyde earning a Pro Bowl nod.

Weakness: Buffalo made a foolish decision to bench capable starter Tyrod Taylor in the middle of the regular season. Yet, even the most ardent Tyrod supporters must admit this offense lacks firepower. The Bills averaged 15.7 points per game in the final six weeks of the season. Taylor isn't the most aggressive passer, throwing just 14.6 percent of his passes into tight windows over the last two years, per Next Gen Stats. His top two receivers are a rookie who caught just 36.5 percent of his targets in Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin, who has been banged up for most of his games in Buffalo. Star dual-threat back LeSean McCoy was hurt in Week 17.

COMING SOON: BILLS VS JAGUARS (3:22)
The Buffalo Bills get set to take on the Jacksonville Jaguars in a Wild Card playoff matchup. Take a look back at how far the team has come from HC Sean McDermott's introductory press conference to the team clinching its first playoff berth since 1999.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Our whipping boy doesnt put up yards.  Yours throws picks.  That is why Buffalo are live dogs.  They did clinch but if Jax won out woildnt they gotten a first rd bye?

Nope. The Jags would have needed the Pats or the Steelers to lose one of their last 2 games AND to win out to get a 1st round bye. 

13 minutes ago, SwagJag said:

As someone who has watched every snap of every game this season, I can tell you that the playcalling got extremely vanilla once the playoffs were clinched with very few downfield shots or crossing patterns. Coincidentally, a lot of injuries piled up around this time too. The SF game was our second game in a row played with three rookie wideouts. Of course, Marrone wanted to win in Tennessee. But he was trying to win with execution, not scheme. And the way we have been able to win a lot of games is by finding mismatches in the passing game (that weak link you guys love to bash). I would expect us to try to take shots on your nickel CB on Sunday.

If the Jags were in the AFC East, you would not have made the playoffs. 

I can take it. I know the fan base's bark is not as big as your team's bite. And it's all in good fun. 

I am happy for you as a similarly sufffering fan that you have had a good season, but I am not buying the Jags, or your misplaced confidence.  Do not forget that we had two years of Marrone and Hatchet Job here and probably know them better than you do.  The Jags have talent no doubt, especially on defense, and Buffalo's weakness is offense.  That said, despite the excuses you would like to make for the poor performance of your team over the last two weeks, that performance has more to do with Marrone's mediocre coaching ability than anything else.  

You expect them them to suddenly turn it on come Sunday, but I do not.  Unless Buffalo turns it over and gives the Jags a couple of freebies, this game will be extremely close all the way.  The Buffalo secondary is more than good enough to deal with Bortles.  The Jags will try to run, and may have some success, but in the end, turnovers will favor Buffalo.  I expect a low scoring game and some completely bonehead coaching decisions by Marrone along the way to a 16/13 Bills victory, exposing the Jags for the overrated team they are.

5 minutes ago, SwagJag said:

Nope. The Jags would have needed the Pats or the Steelers to lose one of their last 2 games AND to win out to get a 1st round bye. 

Which was entirely possible until they laid an egg against SF.  

15 minutes ago, MDFan said:

I am happy for you as a similarly sufffering fan that you have had a good season, but I am not buying the Jags, or your misplaced confidence.  Do not forget that we had two years of Marrone and Hatchet Job here and probably know them better than you do.  The Jags have talent no doubt, especially on defense, and Buffalo's weakness is offense.  That said, despite the excuses you would like to make for the poor performance of your team over the last two weeks, that performance has more to do with Marrone's mediocre coaching ability than anything else.  

You expect them them to suddenly turn it on come Sunday, but I do not.  Unless Buffalo turns it over and gives the Jags a couple of freebies, this game will be extremely close all the way.  The Buffalo secondary is more than good enough to deal with Bortles.  The Jags will try to run, and may have some success, but in the end, turnovers will favor Buffalo.  I expect a low scoring game and some completely bonehead coaching decisions by Marrone along the way to a 16/13 Bills victory, exposing the Jags for the overrated team they are.

Marrone and Hackett have been in Jax for the same amount of time they were in Buffalo..  but I am sure you know them better. Marrone is such a mediocre coach, he got your team to 9 wins for the first time in years and is coaching a home playoff game with Blake Bortles as his QB.  I'm no expert, but I think your bias may be clouding your grasp on reality. 

This team, led by a defense that is very potent, has 7 wins by 16 or more points. You did that once this year. They have embarrassed QBs much better than Tyrod Taylor. And we have Tom Coughlin who won two Super Bowls with 9 win teams overseeing everything in the building. So yeah..  I can feel good about our chances.

Spoiler: If/when the Bills lose by more than the spread, your opinion of the Jags will still be that they are overrated. That is called cognitive dissonance.

Edited by SwagJag